Yet another 2012 SE Sport audio upgrade - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
HatWobble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97153
What I Drive: '12 Focus SE 5spd Hatch 203A

FF Reputation: 1 HatWobble Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yet another 2012 SE Sport audio upgrade

Hi,

I'm doing a full upgrade to my 2012 SE Sport 5spd. I've never done an install before but figured with all of the good info on these forums I'd be able to handle it myself.

In order to help contribute to the scant knowledge base currently available on the '12, I'll try to make as many pictures as possible for all the noobs like myself who have never done any of this stuff. If I end up doing something that looks stupid, feel free to second-guess and/or ridicule me.

Gear:
  • Amp: Rockford Fosgate R600-5 5ch (50W @ 4ohms x4, 300W @ 2ohms x1)
  • Sub: Polk db1040DVC 10"
  • Sub enclosure: Atrend E10S (sealed)
  • LOC: AudioControl LC6i
  • Front speakers: Polk db5251 5.25" components
  • Rear speakers: Polk db651s 6.5" coaxials
  • Power wire: Rockford Fosgate RFK4 kit (4 AWG)

I'll update this thread as I get components installed. It's tough for me because I live in the city and don't have a garage, so I have the added challenge of trying to dodge passing traffic as I tear my panels off.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
HatWobble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

First thing I did was wire up the sub and put it in its enclosure. The Polk 1040DVC is a dual voice coil so I wired the two coils in parallel to achieve 2 ohms of resistance.

I wish the enclosure didn't have that stupid sticker on the corner. I don't wanna rip it off because who knows what it looks like under there.

I also got the grill cover for it so my girlfriend doesn't smack the cone with a shopping bag or something while it's in my trunk.

Last edited by HatWobble; 05-06-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
TiStick
Boob Whisperer

Fan#: 96514
What I Drive: LesVagon

FF Reputation: 16 TiStick Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatWobble View Post
It's tough for me because I live in the city and don't have a garage, so I have the added challenge of trying to dodge passing traffic as I tear my panels off.
That just adds "degree of difficulty" to your score. We'll give higher marks, but the East German judge will still screw you over.

Interested in seeing behind the panels as you get the speakers off. Please do take lots of pics! Good luck, and enjoy the feel of the new tunes
Sonic's Mk3 Crew #11
Hatch Nation#163
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Watch out for the D
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
HatWobble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The next thing I did was to place the amp and LOC in the trunk. I don't anticipate needing to adjust the amp or LOC once they're tuned and set, so having them easily accessible isn't an issue. I took a cue from Yanner's thread and put them in the same spots he did. My amp is shaped differently than his Alpine so I had to do a little more cutting in the foam. For the amp, I cut all the way through the foam so that the amp rests on the bare metal of the trunk, which I'm hoping (as Yanner noted) will help with cooling. The LC6i is sitting on top of the foam in my install.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
HatWobble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The rear seat bolt was the natural choice for the amp's ground wire attachment point, but the hole in the ring connector that came pre-attached to my ground wire was too small for it. Others have put new holes in their trunk floor to ground the amp, but I didn't want to do that.

I found some nice bolts next to the left rear seat latch. It involved taking a panel or two off to get to them, but it was worth it I guess.

This is the panel that had to come off to get to them. There were two Torx 20's to remove before the rest of it just popped off. Oh, and there's a wire that connects to the trunk light there so remove that before you take it totally off, as is pictured. You can see I loosened up the beige pillar near the door frame, too:

Here are all of the lovely bolts to choose from, right under the seat belt tensioner:

And here's the ground connection I made. I sanded it like hell and confirmed an adequate ground connection via multimeter:

The wire runs under the side cloth and pops out right next to the amp; very clean looking.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
AeR0_84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89717
What I Drive: 12,Focus,Black,Hatch,5spd,sport pkg

FF Reputation: 1 AeR0_84 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
lets see a pic of the final install
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
HatWobble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeR0_84 View Post
lets see a pic of the final install
I'd like to see one too! This is all I've gotten accomplished so far.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #8
voipguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85222
What I Drive: 2012 S.Grey SE Spt,4dr,Wint,MR,6sp

FF Reputation: 1 voipguy Good Standing Member
Are you going to run the wires from the LC6-i along the right side doors to the passenger console panel for speaker connections? And are you going to run new speaker wire from the amp or do what Yanner did ??
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
HatWobble
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipguy View Post
Are you going to run the wires from the LC6-i along the right side doors to the passenger console panel for speaker connections?
Yes, exactly. I plan on tapping into them as shown here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voipguy View Post
And are you going to run new speaker wire from the amp or do what Yanner did ??
Using the factory speaker wire doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings... I'm thinking it'll be better to run new wire. I've already dinked around with the front speakers, and the wire that's going to them now is pretty tiny, looks to be 18 AWG, so I'd like to avoid it if I can. Plus if I used the factory wires it'd mean I'd have to cut them at some point, which I'd like to avoid in the case that I have to revert the system to stock for some reason.

I'm a little apprehensive of threading the new wire into the doors-- hopefully it won't be too difficult.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
betox69
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98639
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus S Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 betox69 Good Standing Member
where are you planning on mounting the twitters? i want a pair of 6.5" component but i want my twitters to fit the stock location.

Bookmarks & Social Networks