I seriously need help!!!! - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Mphillips717
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105842
What I Drive: 2005 red ZX4

FF Reputation: 1 Mphillips717 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I seriously need help!!!!

I have an 05 zx4 with 135000 miles it started dying, replaced the alternator seemed to run fine for about a month then started dying again so I replaced the battery, ran well for a month again and now I have replaced the starter and while doing that the battery completely died so I charged it which took about ten minutes of driving the car completely died out what could possibly be wrong????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
UnbridledCarnage
Rhinoliner!!!

Fan#: 66551
What I Drive: 03 Rhinoliner'd ZX3 AdvanceTrac

FF Reputation: 9 UnbridledCarnage Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
moved ya over to tech chat for more help! Welcome to FF!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Mphillips717
Focus Rookie

Where do I find the tech forum?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #4
Mphillips717
Focus Rookie

Never mind I see you just moved it here haha
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #5
sam fisher
I hate dents!

Fan#: 103137
What I Drive: 2006 silver zx4 ses

FF Reputation: 3 sam fisher Good Standing Member
your thread is now in it , he moved you
Old 11-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mphillips717 View Post
I have an 05 zx4 with 135000 miles it started dying, replaced the alternator seemed to run fine for about a month then started dying again so I replaced the battery, ran well for a month again and now I have replaced the starter and while doing that the battery completely died so I charged it which took about ten minutes of driving the car completely died out what could possibly be wrong????

I'm not following your though process of throwing parts at the car ...

"started dying" - how? Did the lights dim then the car shut off? were lights flickering?
The battery is generally most often found to be 'bad' when the car will not crank.
The starter has very little impact on anything I see you problem could be.
But,
I need more info on this "dying" thing first.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #7
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
You replaced everything except the wires. That would be my next thought, also the alternator pigtail likes to get pulled out causing problems. Other than that you need you clarify what is exactly happening like iminhell said.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 11-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #8
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Charge the battery FULLY on a charger, auto stores now do it for free. Driving a car for 10 minutes does not do that, battery being low on charge will simply fool you into buying more unnecessary stuff. Get alternator checked for output too.

More details again like they say, your story is wide open at this point, meaning 50 things could be wrong there.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Mphillips717
Focus Rookie

Ok I'm sorry I was unclear, I would be driving and out of nowhere the car would stall out so I took it to auto zone and they checked the battery said it was fine but noted the alt. needed checked so I removed the alternator and took it up there to get tested, afterwards they found it was bad so I replaced it, it ran for about a month seeming fine and one day it would not start so I took the battery to autozone and it was bad so I replaced it on August 16 2012 it ran fine up until the other night. when I attempted to start it the starter was just clicking so I removed it and took it to autozone and they tested it which failed so I replaced it. While replacing the starter, the battery died completely. I removed the battery and took it to auto zone where they charged it fully, I brought it home, installed it and after only ten minutes of driving it lost all lights and then it stalled out, got jumped and it did the same again. Sorry for being unclear using mobile device previously.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Some more suggestions for you:

1. Get a multimteter so you can measure the output of the alternator and state of charge of the battery yourself. As a preliminary check, the battery voltage should be above 12V with the car off, and 14.5V+ when running. Also the charging system wiring and connectors that join various charging system components should be inspected thoroughly for chafes/shorts and breaks; the Focus is known for a dodgy alternator connector plug as mentioned by sleepyboy. Remove and clean the battery terminals thoroughly and check for tightness.

2. Don't assume a part is good simply because it was already replaced. Test it again. I'm referring to your Autozone alternator which seems to have a very spotty reputation for quality on this site. The usual advice is to have an automotive electrician rebuild your original one.

I suspect your alternator has failed again or there is a wiring problem - regardless of the cause, your charging system is not functional - and you're simply draining/destroying batteries. The clicking sound is the starter relay not getting sufficient juice and stalling while driving indicates to me the car is/was running on battery power alone. There was likely nothing ever wrong with the starter motor as stated by iminhell.

Bookmarks & Social Networks