Stripped Caliper Bolt-AM I SCREWED ?? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
moe411
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64490
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Blue ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 moe411 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry Stripped Caliper Bolt-AM I SCREWED ??

Hello and thank's for your help, I changed my rotors and pads this weekend, when I screwed the lower bolt on the passenger side caliper I somehow stripped the hole. Now I can't tighten this bolt anymore. I noticed the threading on the bolt is a bit rough so I guess I will need to get another one.

My question is what could I do to fix the stripped hole ? Can it be fixed somehow WITHOUT having to replace the whole boot ?

I will probably have a REAL mechanic do the job this time but I want your advice on what can and should be done.

THANK YOU !!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
norcalfocus01
Registered

Fan#: 55603
What I Drive: White N Gold 2001 Sedan

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
you mean the hole for the allen wrench is what you stripped?

if so peel back the rubber sleeve and put a pair of vise grips on the bolt and take it out then get a new one.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
moe411
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalfocus01 View Post
you mean the hole for the allen wrench is what you stripped?

if so peel back the rubber sleeve and put a pair of vise grips on the bolt and take it out then get a new one.
Thank's for the quick reply, my caliper has 2 bolts covered by a plastic cap. I can get the bolts out but I can't get the lower one screwed back in since I stripped the hole somehow. I swapped the bolts to see if it was the bolt or the hole which had a problem and both of them cannot be tightened anymore so I gess I stripped the hole somehow... Any ideas ?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
norcalfocus01
Registered

FF Reputation: 132 norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member norcalfocus01 Excellent Standing Member
im still not following what you stripped.

did you strip the threads the bolt goes into?

or the head of the bolt?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
moe411
Focus Rookie

Sorry for the confusion, english is a second language.... The caliper bolt seems fine, I stripped the hole this bolt goes in... I can't thighten it anymore. The top one is thight, the lower one is loose and won't grip in the hole amymore.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Peregrine
I.S.A.I.K.I.

Fan#: 6009
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver SVT, '11 Mazda CX-9

FF Reputation: 112 Peregrine Excellent Standing Member Peregrine Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (23)
If the bolt head is stripped, you can tap a six point Torx bit into it to loosen or tighten it.

Sounds like you'll have to rethread the hole or replace the entire caliper bracket altogether.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
moe411
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If the bolt head is stripped, you can tap a six point Torx bit into it to loosen or tighten it.

Sounds like you'll have to rethread the hole or replace the entire caliper bracket altogether.
The bolt is not stripped, the hole is though. You think I could get this rethreaded ? Would it be strong enough ?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:08 PM   #8
norcalfocus01
Registered

yeah it maybe can be re threaded. it would be plenty strong enough. the caliper really just slides on the bolt.

check the local junk yards for a new bracket, it would be a very simple install and cheap. the nice thing is you learn a junk car on what to take off before you take the bracket off your car.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
JPSCOTT713
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60801
What I Drive: 2009 Black SE Sedan 5sp.

FF Reputation: 5 JPSCOTT713 Good Standing Member
yes you can rethread, its pretty simple but if you are not confident in it you can take it to a local machine shop and they can even put a sleeve in there to tap to keep the same bolt size if needed, how bad you stripped it will decide wether or not you will have to tap it out to a larger size
SR/TEAM DURATEC #156
Old 04-20-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
moe411
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSCOTT713 View Post
yes you can rethread, its pretty simple but if you are not confident in it you can take it to a local machine shop and they can even put a sleeve in there to tap to keep the same bolt size if needed, how bad you stripped it will decide wether or not you will have to tap it out to a larger size
OK thanks, I'll have a machine shop do the rethread,

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.