2003 Focus ZX3 European taillight install - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #1
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Talking 2003 Focus ZX3 European taillight install

First off let me thank an FF member for putting a concise collection of Euro-Conversion info in one place...

Thank You, 02ZX3NJ! Your friggin' awesome, I don't care what they say about ya!!!
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...80#post2340980

A hearty thank you also goes out to Pyroinsa for his thread which led me to the aforementioned how-to:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=284755&page=3

I wanted to throw my hat in the ring and add a few pieces of info to an already fantastic thread/how-to.

I found the Ford pin-out charts at school, and with factory info in hand went about tearing trim, running & cutting wire, and soldering all the connections back together (NO scotch locks here, my friends; I paid too much to learn how to do it!).
Mine is an '03, and the gray, blue, and green connectors at the junction box had nothing to do with my conversion. A few wiring diagrams helped me find a way to make a late model-year '03 separate input signals.

Location of the GEM Module

... and in-car behind the glove box

Pin-Out Chart for C201d

Lighting System Overview

Rear Lights Circuits

The chart showed the input signals for the rear tail lights coming from the yellow connector at the GEM. Following the info, the blue w/ yellow wire was the right hand (RH) brake wire, and the blue w/ black the left side (LH). These were first back-probed to find B+ (batt. voltage) when the signal was turned on. after finding that these were indeed the correct wires I had a place to get my turn signals from.
The interior was removed and I set about route the wires under the carpet and out harm's way. The constant brake signal needed for the brake lights to operate uninterrupted was found at the high-mounted center brake light (which I found has melted inside it's housing a good bit over the years). I found out the correct colors of these wires by removing the center brake light and checking the harness going to it.

I then had to cut everything, and prepare the solder and the shrink tubing. I saw a number of pics utilizing the scotch locks as a means of piggy-backing the wires; but have you ever thought about how many strands inside the wires end up cut due to those?! The scotch locks are supposed to cut the insulating materiel and touch the wires on the outside, like a hug (albeit a crappy, friend-zone, butt-out, limp hug)... I wanted to ensure maximum contact with the electrical connections, as those inadvertently cut strands add resistance and heat to the connection. My solid motor mounts would also rattle those bastards loose after a certain period of time anyway, and the shrink tubing not only protects better against weather/corrosion; but looks more professional as well. I also left extra tubing in the corresponding colors to make later work less confusing. So cutting the signal wires at C201d for the turns and soldering the wires in that I'd run already you got this

Before:

And After:

Next up was the removal of the center light to check colors, and tracing them down to the rear distribution block. Positive and negative are indicated with the arrows; but check yours first before relying on my circumstances... Ford changed the color of the wires every few years, so my colors differ from yours!

After: Cut/Soldered/shrink tubed

Another check was performed to ensure the right cuts and connections had been made and crimping little clips on the ends of the new wires began (not pictured).
The bulb holders and bulbs were fitted, and checked again... good thing too, as the clips had been installed backwards on one side causing a dimming of the right brake light when the pedal was pressed. Here they are after that:

With everything working I buttoned it all up, and hit the streets! OH... a light bulb DID get dropped and I headed to Advance to get a new stl here's what you'll need to fit the EU bulb holders:
1157 LLs

And there you have it! Any questions, lemme know, and again; refer to the posts I used to do this as well to get a better idea of operation before you get into the whole thing...

Finished!

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And don't use these anymore; be better than that!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
freemind
Vince your Moderator

Fan#: 67513
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 and a 2010 Focus SE (Work)

FF Reputation: 22 freemind Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
Nice! I have yet to install my Eurostars.

Hatch Nation #140
Caeci caecos ducentes
Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Blr03ZX5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69068
What I Drive: 2003 graber green zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Blr03ZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Where did you get your bulb sockets? I'm desperate to finally install my euro tails
Old 05-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
katiekay
ɔᴉʇɐuɐℲ snɔoℲ

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 59 katiekay Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (48)
Nice write up

Blr03ZX5, you can always go to the junkyard and cut off the sockets on the back of a pair of lights and glue them on to your euro's. Similar to this:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183391

^^^This shows a turn signal, but the principle can be used for any light.
Hatch Nation #8
September 2012 Ride of the Month
Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
bluebullet
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93387
What I Drive: 2003 Twilight Blue zx5

FF Reputation: 7 bluebullet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
hey I have those lights also!!
they look damn good!!!
Hatch Nation #81
Mid-west Crew
2003 zx5 twilight blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvieF View Post
Bahahaha...bromance lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroinsa View Post
when going Euro -always go full Euro
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
mainest
Focus Addict

Fan#: 60163
What I Drive: '04 Red Euro SVT

FF Reputation: 7 mainest Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Thank you sir! Excellent write-up, nice to see it done the "right" way. Now, how about a companion piece for the fog/reverse lamps in a euro bumper!!
PS, sweet looking ZX3
Old 05-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainest View Post
Thank you sir! Excellent write-up, nice to see it done the "right" way. Now, how about a companion piece for the fog/reverse lamps in a euro bumper!!
PS, sweet looking ZX3
I'll do you one better: I'll include the how-to for the triangle side marker lights as well! The reverse lights do still need to be run. You trace the colored wires that you find from the stock American reverse light pigtails and carefully cut the electrical tape and pull them back through the grommet. With the tape cut, it's easy to pull 'em back into the back of the car, solder, and re-route them to the euro bumper.

I don't have the scratch for a euro bumper right now, and don't have the foreign contacts to ply a European FF member to search a junk/salvage yard for one either; so I'm just gonna freak out backing out of places and PRAYING the constabularies don't fuss with me about it in the meantime!!!

Once I get the bulb holders or pigtails for the lower reverse/rear foglights I'll finish the write-up! Anyone know where I can find 'em; PLEEEEEEASE PM me!!!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blr03ZX5 View Post
Where did you get your bulb sockets? I'm desperate to finally install my euro tails
I bought 'em with the taillights back in 2003 and squirreled the basterds away. BAT inc. has bulb holders, I just ordered the lower reverse/fog bulb holders today.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
stealthzx3
Enthusiast

Fan#: 94260
What I Drive: 2003 Black ZX3 SVT, 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 stealthzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (22)
damn ireally like the EDM tails. but i have no idea how to wire those. too confusing for me.

2003 EAP SVT #2752
Old 05-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
DEMENTED SVTF
PARTS HUNTER

Fan#: 71669
What I Drive: 2013 F150 FX2 5.0 SUPERCAB

FF Reputation: 9 DEMENTED SVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Smoked the edms? ! Im sad now. Gave u +1 on the edm tails then -2 for the smoke. Worried about police and no reverse lights but the tails are blacked out lol. Actually the mod isnt that hard but with all the charts he posted makes it seem hard lol

Bookmarks & Social Networks