TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 51 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #501
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
I'm about ready to say my transmission has once again, reverted (which I don't think is even technically possible), back to pre-update behavior. I swear to god, it's almost like these software flashes has timers on them, and then it's like
'oh, times up, lets use the old software again and give really crappy tranny performance".

Am I the only one this is happening to????
Same with me. I had FSA 12B37 done early June and since a couple of weeks, the car has slowly reverted to the lardass I hated so much.

I noticed the following:

Comming out of a 90 degree turn, you get a lag when you punch back the gaz pedal. the car rev's and scream and not much else is going on and then...BAM! It accelerate very violently

In bumper to bumper traffic when the car in front of you starts to move forward and you try to keep up with it...you press and you press and then...BAM! It accelerate very violently and you have to slam on the brakes 'cause your FF wants to kiss the rear end of the car in front of you. Now imagine this in real winter driving conditions couple with the traction control. Real fun, oh yeah...

Trying to merge with higway trafic or accelerate to pass while on the highway is a farce. All the car does is a lot of noise and then accelerate in a painfully slow fashion. (using ''D'' or ''S'')

I must say that right after FSA 12B37 my car was a total different animal. I drove it smoothly, hard, granny style, regular style, in trafic or on the highway, short trip, long trips, used ''D'' and ''S''. It was fine...in fact it was more than fine, hell it was freaking awsome!! But now, bleh...Its a gutless expensive toy that just looks pretty.

I dont think it's the tranny itself, I feel like it's the throttle response. See, I'm no computer guy or mechanic, but a couple of years back when I had my '07 newly redesigned Mitsubishi Outlander, they issued a TSB to have some kind of reprogramming done to the car 'cause the gaz pedal response was too slow or gutless.

All the tech did was sit in the car with a laptop computer, connected it somewhere under the dash, navigated a few screens, made a few cliks and voilą. Problem solved. When needed the suv LITERALLY lauched like a rocket when you gunned it, the rest of the time, that CVT was smooth as silk. All it took was 10 minutes tops. Never had to go back again to have it ''reflashed'', never had any issues with it up to when I traded it for a Focus.

Ford, Can we get the same thing, please? I mean, C'mon, that's annoying now. Seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #502
manueljones
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98333
What I Drive: 2012 red candy Focus SE Hatchback

Points 292, Level 5
Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 manueljones Good Standing Member
Update:
Had the transmission re-flashed to the newest calibration. Must say a big improvement from where it was when I took it in. Idle seems to be smoother, shifts from 5-6 seems to be a little higher maybe 40-42 instead of around 38. Now when I let off throttle when slowing for traffic light I can actually feel it down shifting, before could not feel that. Not even sure i was dropping back to 1st when stopped the way it was chugging and trying to stall. If it will just stay this way without reverting back to bad habits I will be a happy camper! Also had the rattle in front end checked and the current TSB was applied with new springs, strut bearings, and mounting bolts and nuts replaced. So far no clunks or rattles. Wish me luck. Right now,I have the Focus back that I enjoyed before the 12B37 update. If I can just convince it to stay at it's current behavior then my wife and I will be happy.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #503
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,767, Level 38
Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38 Points: 3,767, Level: 38
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaru View Post
In bumper to bumper traffic when the car in front of you starts to move forward and you try to keep up with it...you press and you press and then...BAM! It accelerate very violently...
Does your car creep forward when you take your foot off the brake pedal?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #504
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Sometimes it does, even going up a small incline, which is quite fine with me as it emulates a traditionnal auto tranny. Sometimes it does not...I let go of the accelerator when the car sit still and nothing. Then you press the gaz pedal, and press, and press, hoping to get some kind of reaction from the car and nada...until it jumps forward like real quick and loudly. Not fun at all.

I will also say that since FSA 12B37, the hill holding feature works perfectly. It does what it's meant to do and I have nothing to say about it.

I swear to God, I feel it's like some kind of bad communication between the action of pressing the gaz pedal and the engine reacting accordingly. Can't wait for the Ford Techs to put their collective fingers on that bad line of coding and correct this ackward car behavior.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 AM   #505
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,746, Level 94
Points: 23,746, Level: 94 Points: 23,746, Level: 94 Points: 23,746, Level: 94
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Sometimes it does, even going up a small incline, which is quite fine with me as it emulates a traditionnal auto tranny. Sometimes it does not...I let go of the accelerator when the car sit still and nothing. Then you press the gaz pedal, and press, and press, hoping to get some kind of reaction from the car and nada...until it jumps forward like real quick and loudly. Not fun at all.

I will also say that since FSA 12B37, the hill holding feature works perfectly. It does what it's meant to do and I have nothing to say about it.

I swear to God, I feel it's like some kind of bad communication between the action of pressing the gaz pedal and the engine reacting accordingly. Can't wait for the Ford Techs to put their collective fingers on that bad line of coding and correct this ackward car behavior.
Do you have a K&N drop-in inatalled?

I ask because the throttle lag on the stock filter is horrendous. I have inatalled my drop-in in other friends' cars to show them, along with letting them drive mine for comparisons. Maybe it would be something to look into.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 AM   #506
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Hello Dyn085,

Nope, I have a stock SEL W/O any kind of modification made to the car. Call me chicken, but with all the issues I have, I'm not too crazy about modding the car. I tend to think that the more bends you add to the plumbing line, the easier it is to clog it :)

Do you think a K&N drop in filter will help ? With the cover back on ? Just changing the filter ?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #507
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,746, Level 94
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
It will not fix the 90° turn problem (my car is the same, I use S+ instead), but it will definitely help in the stop and go. The 90° issue is a transmission issue, and some have claimed that their car eventually ' learned' it. Mine is not one of them, but maybe because I S+ it. Idk.

I understand your perspective on mods and I don't blame you. All I'm talking about is the filter swap, lid on, nothing else. You won't see power gains, but the throttle tip-in will be normal. You may even get a fractional mpg bonus, but don't overly bank on it.
2014 FiST-
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #508
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,801, Level 32
Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32 Points: 2,801, Level: 32
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 11 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Same with me. I had FSA 12B37 done early June and since a couple of weeks, the car has slowly reverted to the lardass I hated so much.

I noticed the following:

Comming out of a 90 degree turn, you get a lag when you punch back the gaz pedal. the car rev's and scream and not much else is going on and then...BAM! It accelerate very violently

In bumper to bumper traffic when the car in front of you starts to move forward and you try to keep up with it...you press and you press and then...BAM! It accelerate very violently and you have to slam on the brakes 'cause your FF wants to kiss the rear end of the car in front of you. Now imagine this in real winter driving conditions couple with the traction control. Real fun, oh yeah...

Trying to merge with higway trafic or accelerate to pass while on the highway is a farce. All the car does is a lot of noise and then accelerate in a painfully slow fashion. (using ''D'' or ''S'')

I must say that right after FSA 12B37 my car was a total different animal. I drove it smoothly, hard, granny style, regular style, in trafic or on the highway, short trip, long trips, used ''D'' and ''S''. It was fine...in fact it was more than fine, hell it was freaking awsome!! But now, bleh...Its a gutless expensive toy that just looks pretty.

I dont think it's the tranny itself, I feel like it's the throttle response. See, I'm no computer guy or mechanic, but a couple of years back when I had my '07 newly redesigned Mitsubishi Outlander, they issued a TSB to have some kind of reprogramming done to the car 'cause the gaz pedal response was too slow or gutless.

All the tech did was sit in the car with a laptop computer, connected it somewhere under the dash, navigated a few screens, made a few cliks and voilą. Problem solved. When needed the suv LITERALLY lauched like a rocket when you gunned it, the rest of the time, that CVT was smooth as silk. All it took was 10 minutes tops. Never had to go back again to have it ''reflashed'', never had any issues with it up to when I traded it for a Focus.

Ford, Can we get the same thing, please? I mean, C'mon, that's annoying now. Seriously.
+1 on the throttle response issue. Now that my DCT is behaving itself, the soggy throttle response is easily the worst feature of the car. Ford can change this if they choose to make it an actual driver's car. Bet the programming is different in Europe...
Old 07-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #509
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
It will not fix the 90° turn problem (my car is the same, I use S+ instead), but it will definitely help in the stop and go. The 90° issue is a transmission issue, and some have claimed that their car eventually ' learned' it. Mine is not one of them, but maybe because I S+ it. Idk.

I understand your perspective on mods and I don't blame you. All I'm talking about is the filter swap, lid on, nothing else. You won't see power gains, but the throttle tip-in will be normal. You may even get a fractional mpg bonus, but don't overly bank on it.
A forum member, who happens to be a neighbor, also told me to drop a K&N filter in. I may do it but I'll have to first sacrifice a goat to the Focus God to make sure I wont get banned from driving heaven and fight for the next 6 years in dealership hell.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #510
dyn085
That Guy

Points 23,746, Level 94
Level Up 40% Completed
Forum Activity 12%
K&N has a solid waranty, and if your dealership ever tries to give you grief there is a card supplied by K&N that has a phone number to their reps. All you do is call the number, give the rep a brief description, then hand the phone to the service rep.

I think it's described on their website...check it out.
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks