TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 50 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #491
manueljones
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98333
What I Drive: 2012 red candy Focus SE Hatchback

Points 292, Level 5
Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5 Points: 292, Level: 5
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 manueljones Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manueljones View Post
Called late Friday, Said it is not ready to pick up yet. I am having a rattle looked at in front end also.
Service called today and stated they had applied a later calibration than the one that was applied when 12B37 was done. Believe this is just an update to 12b37 instead of a completely new flash. The surprise was that the rattle I asked then to check out seems to be the struts or front coil springs. Said they were ordering parts and hopefully this will take care of front end noise. I believe the service department is really trying to resolve my complaints with our Focus as they have with other vehicles I have purchased from them for over 25 years, so a tip of the hat to my dealer for the extra effort they are giving. Hopefully by Friday the parts will be in and installed and then we can give the transmission a try and see if this gets us back to the way the car behaved before the 12B37 update which my wife and i were happy with.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #492
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
I'm about ready to say my transmission has once again, reverted (which I don't think is even technically possible), back to pre-update behavior. I swear to god, it's almost like these software flashes has timers on them, and then it's like
'oh, times up, lets use the old software again and give really crappy tranny performance".

Am I the only one this is happening to????
Old 07-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #493
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
I still see my clutch slipping too....or where the car floats in neutral for too long before deciding to engage the gear and actually propel me while my foot is on the gas.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #494
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

Points 1,034, Level 17
Points: 1,034, Level: 17 Points: 1,034, Level: 17 Points: 1,034, Level: 17
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
Well, I've never really had problems with my transmission until a recent road trip. On the way down I had a situation where the car next to me wanted to let me pass, then didn't, then did, so I was a little on the brakes, then gas, then brakes, then punched it from a roll at ~15MPH (got sick of the guy changing his mind) and I revved up to about 5k RPMs and the car never grabbed...It just spun up and slipped the clutch a lot through a painfully slow acceleration. Fine, whatever...Went on about my day.

On the way back I was stuck in HORRIBLE traffic. The traffic wanted to go 8MPH, but the car wanted to go 3MPH or 15MPH. Oh, how I learned to hate slow speeds... There were a few times where I would gently press on the gas and the RPMs would just float right on up to 2-2.5k and the car wouldn't do anything. After I let the RPMs return to idle the clutch would grab, but damn.

I really wish if the car were in sport mode it would just grab hard and go when you put your foot on the gas, no matter the speed.

I should probably mention that my last car I modified the transmission for hard shifts. I got used to it, so every time my Focus does it I just grin and get a little giddy. It will usually shift nice and hard if the RPMs are 3.5k+ and I am in Sport mode.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #495
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
I just posted in the other thread, but I might as well post here as well.

Today my car all of a sudden started having shift problems from 1st to 2nd gear and it didn't matter if it was in sport or drive mode. This was after getting my car flashed a few weeks ago. After the flash, it drove like a champ. It was only today that the problems started again and i think it was worse off than before. I noticed that it would shudder in first gear at around 1500-2000 rpm as if it wanted to shift, but the engine was revving too high (like a slipping clutch)

I would bring it in, but the problem is my schedule is full for the whole of next week. Should I even chance a long drive?

I tried disconnecting and them reconnecting the battery and try the adaptive learning process again following the instructions in the other thread. The shudder isn't so bad now, but it's still there.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:26 AM   #496
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
I just posted in the other thread, but I might as well post here as well.

Today my car all of a sudden started having shift problems from 1st to 2nd gear and it didn't matter if it was in sport or drive mode. This was after getting my car flashed a few weeks ago. After the flash, it drove like a champ. It was only today that the problems started again and i think it was worse off than before. I noticed that it would shudder in first gear at around 1500-2000 rpm as if it wanted to shift, but the engine was revving too high (like a slipping clutch)

I would bring it in, but the problem is my schedule is full for the whole of next week. Should I even chance a long drive?

I tried disconnecting and them reconnecting the battery and try the adaptive learning process again following the instructions in the other thread. The shudder isn't so bad now, but it's still there.
From my experience, disconnecting the battery is not a good option and should be used as the last resort. If you experience shudder, I would recommend to:
- try to drive the car a bit "harder" and see what happens (maybe your clutch system isn't "broke in" evenly and what you get is because of this)
- if the shudder is not gone in some 500 km of driving, get it to the dealer

In your situation, I would suggest you to drive your car a bit harder, don't stay on the same rpms more than 5 minutes, play with D and S modes to let it "learn" all the rpms specter and do this for at least 1000 km.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #497
kjl2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97883
What I Drive: 2012 se black

Points 81, Level 1
Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1 Points: 81, Level: 1
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 kjl2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseE1981 View Post
I'm about ready to say my transmission has once again, reverted (which I don't think is even technically possible), back to pre-update behavior. I swear to god, it's almost like these software flashes has timers on them, and then it's like
'oh, times up, lets use the old software again and give really crappy tranny performance".

Am I the only one this is happening to????
Im having the same thing going back.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #498
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
I forgot to mention that my car has about 22800 kms on it. I got the flash done at 21560 kms
Old 07-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #499
DBrim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97130
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 DBrim Good Standing Member
I had the recall done at 1600 miles, and I'm now at 5900 miles, and I had a big problem this weekend.

It was generally pretty downpoury and I was stuck in traffic for an hour and a half trying to get from my workplace into the city. I didn't cross any puddles more than a few inches deep, but the rain may or may not be an important factor.

After a ~10m stop, I began to drive again, and my car would not shift out of first gear if I tried to accelerate quickly. It would red-line but refuse to go. If I accelerated slowly (egg-shell throttle), it would figure out when to shift sometimes.

Because I was travelling with a group at the time, we were able to combine resources and leave my car close to where it died for a few days. When I got back to limp it to the dealership (four days later), everything was acting fine!

I have an appointment with the dealership tomorrow, so hopefully they'll be able to find *something*, but I'm kind of doubting it at this point. I really don't want to try to deal with a car, knowing that my transmission may refuse to work at any random point in time. One of the reasons why I bought a new car (as opposed to used) was so I *wouldn't* have to worry about stuff like this!

Anybody have any ideas? If the dealership can't find anything I'd like to steer them in the right direction, at least.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #500
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,295, Level 35
Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35 Points: 3,295, Level: 35
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by manueljones View Post
Service called today and stated they had applied a later calibration than the one that was applied when 12B37 was done...The surprise was that the rattle I asked then to check out seems to be the struts or front coil springs. Said they were ordering parts and hopefully this will take care of front end noise...
Remember to break-in the transmission when you get it back. These new front-end parts will address the noise, as outlined in the TSB your dealer has access to. Please let me know when it's done.

Quote:
I'm about ready to say my transmission has once again, reverted (which I don't think is even technically possible), back to pre-update behavior...
Quote:
I still see my clutch slipping too....or where the car floats in neutral for too long before deciding to engage the gear and actually propel me while my foot is on the gas.
If you haven't contacted your CSM about this, please shoot me a PM with your mileage, phone number, and dealer information; I'll get in touch with him/her as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehkaiser View Post
Well, I've never really had problems with my transmission until a recent road trip. On the way down I had a situation where the car next to me wanted to let me pass, then didn't, then did, so I was a little on the brakes, then gas, then brakes, then punched it from a roll at ~15MPH (got sick of the guy changing his mind) and I revved up to about 5k RPMs and the car never grabbed...It just spun up and slipped the clutch a lot through a painfully slow acceleration. Fine, whatever...Went on about my day.

On the way back I was stuck in HORRIBLE traffic. The traffic wanted to go 8MPH, but the car wanted to go 3MPH or 15MPH. Oh, how I learned to hate slow speeds... There were a few times where I would gently press on the gas and the RPMs would just float right on up to 2-2.5k and the car wouldn't do anything. After I let the RPMs return to idle the clutch would grab, but damn.

I really wish if the car were in sport mode it would just grab hard and go when you put your foot on the gas, no matter the speed.

I should probably mention that my last car I modified the transmission for hard shifts. I got used to it, so every time my Focus does it I just grin and get a little giddy. It will usually shift nice and hard if the RPMs are 3.5k+ and I am in Sport mode.
If I were driving next to you, I could see you leaving me in the dust! LOL Have you talked to your dealer about the shift points? If you think it needs to be looked at, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer info; I'll have your Customer Service Manager get in touch with you.

Quote:
...Today my car all of a sudden started having shift problems from 1st to 2nd gear and it didn't matter if it was in sport or drive mode. This was after getting my car flashed a few weeks ago. After the flash, it drove like a champ. It was only today that the problems started again and i think it was worse off than before. I noticed that it would shudder in first gear at around 1500-2000 rpm as if it wanted to shift, but the engine was revving too high (like a slipping clutch)

I would bring it in, but the problem is my schedule is full for the whole of next week. Should I even chance a long drive?...
Quote:
I forgot to mention that my car has about 22800 kms on it. I got the flash done at 21560 kms
I recommend giving it a break-in period equivalent to 1,000 - 2,000 miles. If it doesn't improve, please make an appointment with your dealer and contact our Canadian Customer Relationship Centre at +1 (1)-800-565-3673 for further assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
...If you experience shudder, I would recommend to: - try to drive the car a bit "harder" and see what happens (maybe your clutch system isn't "broke in" evenly and what you get is because of this) - if the shudder is not gone in some 500 km of driving, get it to the dealer

In your situation, I would suggest you to drive your car a bit harder, don't stay on the same rpms more than 5 minutes, play with D and S modes to let it "learn" all the rpms specter and do this for at least 1000 km.
I don't believe this advice can be typed any better; kudos! Did you copy and paste what I've written before? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjl2012 View Post
Im having the same thing going back.
How exactly is it operating? I'd like to notify your region's Customer Service Manager about this; please send me a PM and include your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information.

- Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.