TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 40 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #391
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Points 5,525, Level 47
Points: 5,525, Level: 47 Points: 5,525, Level: 47 Points: 5,525, Level: 47
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnotoad View Post
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits, except for some high end cars like BMWs and Cadillacs. It means learning the transmission shift and clutch thresholds, and the DCT in the Focus DEFINITELY does this:

"NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY"
The press release I provided the link to specifically says it "recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly".

And it says it's on "many North American [Ford] vehicles", i.e. not just high end BMWs and Cadillacs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #392
Hypnotoad
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85864
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 3 Hypnotoad Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
The press release I provided the link to specifically says it "recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly".

And it says it's on "many North American [Ford] vehicles", i.e. not just high end BMWs and Cadillacs.
Nothing in that press release suggests the transmission learns over time or remembers how you drive. "Recognises individual styles" isn't the same as "remembers individual styles". "Crisper shifts for aggressive driving or smoother shifts for normal driving" and "uses information to assess driving style and decides when to upshift or downshift" means it responds to how you are driving at any given moment and won't remember that you like to drive that way later on, or even a few seconds later.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #393
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,763, Level 38
Points: 3,763, Level: 38 Points: 3,763, Level: 38 Points: 3,763, Level: 38
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
That article refers to Adaptive Transmission Control (ATC) which is used on many "conventional" Ford automatic transmissions (the 2010 Mustang is one example that I cited earlier).

There are many technologies and features that are not necessarily used in all Ford models.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #394
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 3,763, Level 38
Points: 3,763, Level: 38 Points: 3,763, Level: 38 Points: 3,763, Level: 38
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits...
That is correct. The adaptive learning for the DCT has 3 parts:

1) TR Sensor Adaptive Learning (the TCM calibrates the sensor for the shift lever position. This is done by a service tech after TCM reprogramming.)

2) Shift Drum Adaptive Learning (the TCM calibrates the exact positioning of the shift drums. This is done by a service tech after TCM reprogramming.)

3) Clutch Adaptive Learning (the TCM calibrates the "catch points" of both clutches. This is done by a service tech after TCM reprogramming but is constantly being "fine tuned" as you drive your car.)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #395
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits, except for some high end cars like BMWs and Cadillacs. It means learning the transmission shift and clutch thresholds, and the DCT in the Focus DEFINITELY does this:

"NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY"
Thank you, Hypnotoad. This was exactly my understanding too when I read about our DCT. There is no 'learning the driver's habits".

This is why I often told on this site with different occasions, do not baby the transmission the first 1000 miles, do not use the cruise control and please do play with the rpms (switch often D to S and back) in this period. Do not redline it either. Thus, the transmission "experience" all the spectrum of rpms and its components "broke in". If not, you'll complain about your transmission even after 10000 miles. I did this and it worked for me. And I am sure those who started to drive the car a bit "harder", they saw improvement in their DCT acting.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #396
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
Thank you, Hypnotoad. This was exactly my understanding too when I read about our DCT. There is no 'learning the driver's habits".

This is why I often told on this site with different occasions, do not baby the transmission the first 1000 miles, do not use the cruise control and please do play with the rpms (switch often D to S and back) in this period. Do not redline it either. Thus, the transmission "experience" all the spectrum of rpms and its components "broke in". If not, you'll complain about your transmission even after 10000 miles. I did this and it worked for me. And I am sure those who started to drive the car a bit "harder", they saw improvement in their DCT acting.
Abuseing your car will not make it better.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #397
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
If running a car as it should be and not like a granny means "abuseing" for you, then that's just fine with me. And you know what, I am not complaining about my DCT, but I know you are. So, who's the "abused" here ?
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #398
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97985
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyy View Post
He is not saying abuse your car. He is saying do not get into a pattern with your Focus for a little while, allowing the computer to learn the full spectrum of the engine. I did this when I got my Focus and did it again when I got the 12B37 Update performed, my DCT is buttery smooth.

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 AM   #399
allyy

Fan#: 95236
What I Drive: 2012 focus

FF Reputation: -3 allyy Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
He is not saying abuse your car. He is saying do not get into a pattern with your Focus for a little while, allowing the computer to learn the full spectrum of the engine. I did this when I got my Focus and did it again when I got the 12B37 Update performed, my DCT is buttery smooth.
Your car will not learn anything by yourself driveing it.Example.
I had my update thre weeks ago and it was very bad after i got it back and all the driveing i did did not do a thing for it. I brought the car back to the dealer and they had to do the adaptive drive cycle that they did not do to begin with when they did the update. Its a special way of driveing just after the update is done.I dont no how this can be done three weeks after the update but they did it and they only put a few miles on the car.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #400
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,713, Level 94
Points: 23,713, Level: 94 Points: 23,713, Level: 94 Points: 23,713, Level: 94
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Spot on. It seems like everone who has done this really enjoys their DCT now.

Nowhere is anyone saying to race your car for 1k miles. Nowhere is anyone saying to redline your car for 1k miles. Heck, I don't think anyone is even saying to floor it. No one is recommending that a car be abused. Simply drive your car a *little* harder than normal and vary the modes you drive it in. How hard of a concept is that?
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks