TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 36 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #351
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 47 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSVT04 View Post
Yes I just drove over 1500 miles from the last reflash and it was shifting fine. Now I have to start all over. You don't think that is a concern? Also what does that have to do with MFT being all screwed up after the update, when it was working fine before it? And the rollback after putting it in park? You don't think that is strange? It is profound because I never noticed it before. I should youtube it. I have almost 10K. What does your car have?
A concern, no. Frustrating, yes. It shouldn't have anything to do with the MFT, that should be a separate issue. But on the other hand, my last re-flash screwed up my wipers, so anything is possible. As for the roll-back, that means that the ABS change is working (though I would think they would have programmed it to act differently when shifted to Park).

As for my mileage, 3231. I'm sure that if I calculated my fuel consumption that I would only have a lifetime of 26/27 or so with the number of re-flashes. Frustrating, yes, but my car keeps getting better and I know that some day there won't be any more. This is the price I pay for buying a first model-year car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #352
FLSVT04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60256
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FLSVT04 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
dyn- do you have MFT with Nav 3.0? I have a lot more miles than you. Never had a complaint about MPG.

And yes I'm concerned. I paid alot of $ for this car, and mostly enjoyed it until 12B37.

Last edited by FLSVT04; 06-12-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: add comment.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #353
dyn085
That Guy

I do have 3.0, and when they did that install (coinciding with 12B37), that is when my drivers side wiper got all screwy and wouldn't park in the right spot.

The only issues that I have had since 3.0 with MFT is two random re-boots (once after the screen being black for about 10 mins), and the random Black Preset days. Luckily, I already know what buttons are what stations.

Oh, and my radio always forgets what station I left it on and always has to be changed in order to play. That meaning that I press the Radio button, and when the radio comes up there is no sound until I change the channel. Quite odd.

Edit: I had way more problems with MFT before the update. I have yet to have to pull a fuse since the change.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #354
FLSVT04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 60256
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 FLSVT04 Good Standing Member
Is all of that "acceptable" to you buying a brand new car? , or don't you think it should have been better out of the box? My car was good, then they broke it with 12B37. How would you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
I do have 3.0, and when they did that install (coinciding with 12B37), that is when my drivers side wiper got all screwy and wouldn't park in the right spot.

The only issues that I have had since 3.0 with MFT is two random re-boots (once after the screen being black for about 10 mins), and the random Black Preset days. Luckily, I already know what buttons are what stations.

Oh, and my radio always forgets what station I left it on and always has to be changed in order to play. That meaning that I press the Radio button, and when the radio comes up there is no sound until I change the channel. Quite odd.

Edit: I had way more problems with MFT before the update. I have yet to have to pull a fuse since the change.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #355
dyn085
That Guy

Quote:
Is all of that "acceptable" to you buying a brand new car? , or don't you think it should have been better out of the box? My car was good, then they broke it with 12B37. How would you feel?
I fully understand where you are coming from. I honestly feel like a real-world Beta Test. They have a good concept, but it's not fully tested.

That being said, I am frustrated that it isn't the 'fully tested' version, but also pleased that they are making attempts at getting things corrected. I don't fully support the concept, but don't overly bash it either. I'm very neutral in this. I think that an extended amount of Tech was attempted, and this has led to these issues. I mean, what car in the class even comes close to this whole package?

I am fully certain that I will not EVER purchase a first model-year car again.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #356
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
It's funny you say this, because I have had almost no issues with my car (stick, no MFT, etc.) and I also don't think I'd every buy a 1st model year redesign again either. I feel like I got lucky but only really because the car I bought doesn't contain much new tech. There's just too much uncertainty for me to feel good about doing this again.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #357
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimav View Post
What I've noticed is that if I have it in S, it downshifts rapidly during braking and I can actually feel the engine helping me slow down. I've kinda got into the habit of switching from D to S before braking.
chaimav -

Sport mode will definitely "help" with upshifting/downshifting if the driver hasn't done so in a certain amount of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykal View Post
Update done, noticed immediatly that the shuddering was eliminated or nearly so when creeping forward. That never really bothered me but it is silky smooth now. Just a few miles on it so I don't have a lot to go on...it did seem to have 'softer' shifting...If anything changes I'll post.

Oh and the dealer is working with Ford on the paint issue :)
Mykal -

Good deal on the update and paint issue! Please keep me updated on the latter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Here's the choice: don't do the update and risk invalidating your warranty (as Ford says) or do the update with the expectation it will improve things, as is apparently the case for a large majority of posters on the subject.
dan50 -

You're right. We want our customers to take advantage of this service action. The entire warranty won't be invalidated, but there is risk of denial if their vehicle is damaged resulting from the failure to have this action performed in a timely manner. Thanks for recommending this action to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
Update:

350 miles and 4 days later and one tank full. I'm still amazed at how this car is acting, it's as responsive as it was when I first took it back from the dealer. BUT and a big BUT - let's go back to last July when I first got the car; I was disappointed with the milage of 29 mpg's. It stayed that way until the December update and it jumped up to 32 mpg's. So, last night I filled it and smack me over the head, 37.2 mpg's!!!!! I had to have my wife redo the numbers but she came out with the same thing.

To re-quote myself, HOLY CRAP!!

(Nice job Ford, you nailed it)
jbird1955 -

This is quite a jump! I want my ride to improve by 5 mpg with my fill-up today. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyall2010 View Post
Not just us, but go on YouTube and look up Mercmilan06's channel. He has been complaining about the transmission, even after the 12B37 update. In fact, he made several videos complaining about the transmission (noise, responsiveness, etc). It got so bad that (along with the MyFord Touch issues) that he got rid of the car and got the Candy Red 2012 Ford Fusion Sport. Like us, he had very high hopes for the car and in the end, he was let down.

By the way, I still love the car and have hopes for it. I will still give my transmission time before I take it in. Right now, I have a new job, so I can not be taking time off.
danyall2010 -

See if it improves. Although, please take it in as soon as you can for this action.

Quote:
I had the latest update to my transmission already before having 12B37 done. I liked it much better before the update. The MFT is having problems now. Like someone in this POST said before. The info is now less. I used to get song titles scrolling and Street info in the Nav quadrant. Now I get niether after a full reset. Also the same phone that worked fine before (HTC Wildfire) now has problems. It doesn't want to connect. I have to tell it to connect every time I get in the car, and the bluetooth keeps dropping out. Also my car also now does the strange rollback thing after putting it in park. The car also still rolls backwards on a slight incline. This never bothered me before. It felt normal seeing how I understand the type of transmission used in this car. I thought the whole "recall" was to correct mainly this issue? It did not. I still have a rough idle or vibration at idle. I also liked how the car shifted better before. Now it's back to falling on it's face shifting too soon. I'm getting a little PO'd here. I was happy with it before. I get strongarmed into taking it in when it's fine, and now I'm unhappy. Doesn't FORD test these updates in the real world. IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR CAR DO NOT GET THE NEW 12B37 update. This sucks. Neomi are you listening? I was also insulted by my dealer. They act like it's all in my head. I am a systems administrator for a living. I understand technology very well. I also asked that my A/C get checked, and the note on the SO says I had it set to 70 instead of MAX. Give me a ing break. It was cooler that day and I didn't need it set to Max. The tech used that as an excuse to do nothing. I just wanted a set of guages connected to make sure the levels are correct. It's been struggling when it's 90+ degrees outside, and I had it set to MAX A/C!
I think this will be my LAST FORD. I don't have time to keep taking my brand new car back to the dealer over and over for the same issues.
FLSVT04 -

I understand your frustration. Have these ongoing issues been escalated to the Customer Service Manager in your area before? If not, please PM your VIN, mileage, ph #, and dealer info. I'll review this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
That would be me. But that begs the question, how much benefit is there really to a "learning" transmission relative to the crap you gotta go through while it learns? We did just fine when trannies' shift points were set in stone at the factory and that was it. Just seems like one more of a number of technological "improvements" the auto manufacturers or the gov't forces on us that has unintended consequences. Like a rough first 1,000 miles....
Quote:
I fully understand where you are coming from. I honestly feel like a real-world Beta Test. They have a good concept, but it's not fully tested.

That being said, I am frustrated that it isn't the 'fully tested' version, but also pleased that they are making attempts at getting things corrected. I don't fully support the concept, but don't overly bash it either. I'm very neutral in this. I think that an extended amount of Tech was attempted, and this has led to these issues. I mean, what car in the class even comes close to this whole package?

kam327 and dyn085 -

Are you referring to the action improvements in 12B37 or speaking generally? We will always strive to deliver the best products and components to customers in any fashion. We don't want you two to feel like you're beta testers. We perform extensive research on these actions before they're ready.

I have enjoyed reading this thread. It looks like most people have seen a difference in performance since this action has been done. If you're still experiencing issues with your transmission or any other related component, please PM me some details and I'll review the info.

Take care all,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #358
dyn085
That Guy

Thomas-

I am speaking generally, not just 12B37. I feel that Ford has been doing a good job at trying to improve the product for the end user.

Many people seem to feel (in my opinion) that the initial offering was half-baked, to include the automotive magazines. But it would appear that the majority are pleased with the direction Ford has been taking and how the car had been evolving.

I used beta-test as an analogy, but I am extremely pleased with my car.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #359
FrostedG
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97068
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass SFE

FF Reputation: 1 FrostedG Good Standing Member
I had 12B37 done about a week and a half ago on my SFE (no Sport mode of MFT). I've driven about 500-600 miles since. What I've noticed is the low-speed, low-rpm shudder is gone and shift points on gears 1-3 are much improved. Also, the hill holder brakes do engage nicely. Although it does seem to be at the cost of high speed shifting. I've noticed that if I have to get on the gas for highway merging or if I have to make a quick maneuver, the transmission isn't as responsive or smooth. It's almost like it takes longer for the tranny to make up its mind what it wants to do. I've driven stick shifts for the last 20+ years. What I'd like to see is a chart of the gear / RPM shift points before and after the software update. I'm used to getting RPM shift point recommendations in the owners manual on a new vehicle when I get a manual tranny, so this info has got to be out there somewhere.

Who knows, maybe it's just me.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #360
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedG View Post
I've noticed that if I have to get on the gas for highway merging or if I have to make a quick maneuver, the transmission isn't as responsive or smooth. It's almost like it takes longer for the tranny to make up its mind what it wants to do.
Ouch... that is the complete opposite of my experience with the update, and many other experiences I've read about. Usually the tranny responds much faster and with less user input than before the update. Maybe they only said they did the update...

Hopefully things will improve for you. It's frustrating having to deal with bad shift points.

Bookmarks & Social Networks