TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 23 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #221
me.awesome
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96215
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Titanium hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 me.awesome Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Got mine done today, initial observation is good. It doesn't stutter when i turn right and go up a hill, around 10 mph. Before it would stutter like crazy. Less low speed unexpected acceleration, around 5 mph, parking lot. However it still has some vibration at low speed. Still gives me problems when I try to catch the throttle after coasting for a bit. I try slowly finding the speed then it just drops a gear and accelerates, not what i wanted it to do. Same thing with a hill, i feel like it waits to long to down shift when climbing a hill at less than 45mph. It keeps losing speed so i slowly give it more and more throttle with no increase or stabilization in speed. Then BAM it drop a gear and my foot is already like 3/4 of the way down and then the speed shoots way up. Its really frustrating as i live in a hilly city that this happens. In my opinion this is a safety concern. It has 6 speeds it should be able to find a gear that works better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2012, 05:59 AM   #222
ResJudicata
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94971
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 ResJudicata Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by me.awesome View Post
Got mine done today, initial observation is good. It doesn't stutter when i turn right and go up a hill, around 10 mph. Before it would stutter like crazy. Less low speed unexpected acceleration, around 5 mph, parking lot. However it still has some vibration at low speed. Still gives me problems when I try to catch the throttle after coasting for a bit. I try slowly finding the speed then it just drops a gear and accelerates, not what i wanted it to do. Same thing with a hill, i feel like it waits to long to down shift when climbing a hill at less than 45mph. It keeps losing speed so i slowly give it more and more throttle with no increase or stabilization in speed. Then BAM it drop a gear and my foot is already like 3/4 of the way down and then the speed shoots way up. Its really frustrating as i live in a hilly city that this happens. In my opinion this is a safety concern. It has 6 speeds it should be able to find a gear that works better.
Sounds like you need to take yours back to the service department. I wonder if they have to take the vehicle though that reset drive sequence posted somewhere on here to get everything set properly after this update. Mine definitely doesn't act like this. (Even before the update)

Chris
Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #223
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResJudicata View Post
Sounds like you need to take yours back to the service department. I wonder if they have to take the vehicle though that reset drive sequence posted somewhere on here to get everything set properly after this update. Mine definitely doesn't act like this. (Even before the update)

Chris
According to the FSA document the drive cycle is not required, but if they cleared the keep alive memory and the tcm adaptive learning proceedure then it would have been necessary.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #224
cacophonous
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89165
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti & 2005 Saab 92X Aero

FF Reputation: 2 cacophonous Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello All,

I would like to thank those who have periodically informed fellow posters the details of the program, and your post-update driving experience. It's appreciated, and helpful.

The Customer Satisfaction Program has been initiated to address the transmission shift quality and hill-start concerns. Your local Ford dealer has been authorized to calibrate the Powertrain Control Module, Transmission Control Module, and Anti-Lock Brake module.

If you have received a letter, please make an appointment as soon as possible. The repair time is estimated to take less than one-half day, but may be extended due to the dealerships prior commitments.

Thanks for your patience, and loyalty; we appreciate you!

Noemi
It takes less than 1 hour to do BTW but they need 1 hour to schedule. Don't let your dealer tell you otherwise unless they want to provide a free loaner.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #225
Timthom62
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97579
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy 5-Door SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 5 Timthom62 Good Standing Member
After having FSA 12B37 completed on my SEL last week (back on page 16), I took my wife's SE in yesterday to have that and the wiper motor recall completed. Total time was about two hours to complete both and an oil change.

Afterwards I took the SE out for an extended drive and found the same improvements that I found on my SEL - improved shifting (up and down), improved low speed performance in lower gears and reverse, slightly improved fuel economy, and elimination of rollback.

Prior to the update, the rollback on the SE was more pronounced than on the SEL. It would roll backwards on an incline just like a manual transmission unless the brake pedal was depressed to a certain point, where the ABS module was apparently taking over and preventing the rollback. After the update, any braking movement on the brake pedal appears to engage this and prevents rollback even if your remove your foot from the brake. (Not that I'm suggesting anyone try that, of course.)

I've completed a full tank on the SEL since the mod and the improvement of about 2 MPG over the previous tanks is confirmed by actual fuel/distance calculations. It seems that the MPG computed by the car for the same tank was just .1 MPG lower than actual. Of course, one tank is still a little too small a sample to declare a trend, but if an improvement of about 20 miles per tank holds I'll be pretty happy with it. The improvements in shifting and everything else are still going strong as well.

As I said before, we've been fortunate to have experienced no issues with the transmission on either car up to this point - particularly fortunate in light of what others have experienced. While it is obviously not a complete solution to all of the issues with the DCT on the 2012 Focus for everyone, it appears to be a significant improvement to some of the issues for many of us.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #226
dberezin
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96949
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SEL 303A

FF Reputation: 1 dberezin Good Standing Member
I had the service done about 2 weeks ago. It did make a difference in the shifting. But...

I still get the shaking when I remove my foot from the brake and let the car accelerate on its own power (not stepping on the gas). I dropped it off last night for the dealer to look at it today. The service manager told me he felt it when test driving it, but according to their service, it is normal behavior for this transmission.

I find it hard to believe that the shaking/shuddering like the car is going to stall (the RPM's don't drop, so I don't think it is stalling - but that's what it feels like) is normal.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #227
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hello All,

I would like to thank those who have periodically informed fellow posters the details of the program, and your post-update driving experience. It's appreciated, and helpful.

The Customer Satisfaction Program has been initiated to address the transmission shift quality and hill-start concerns. Your local Ford dealer has been authorized to calibrate the Powertrain Control Module, Transmission Control Module, and Anti-Lock Brake module.

If you have received a letter, please make an appointment as soon as possible. The repair time is estimated to take less than one-half day, but may be extended due to the dealerships prior commitments.

Thanks for your patience, and loyalty; we appreciate you!

Noemi
Always glad to be of assistance, when I can!

I went in before receiving the letter (by about 1 day).

Post 12B37 install:

Mine is still running well overall (the two remaining hiccups* not being a significant issue so far) and tonight I might go on a road trip to the Mall of America. 60 miles one way. I've always wanted to see the Marshmallow Peeps store for some reason... But the cessation of the idle shudder has been consistent after 100 miles and that was the biggie for me. (and the shudder had only happened after the car warmed up, oddly...)

At accelerating @3000RPM (starting slow from a stopped position and ensuring I get to 3000 before gear 1->2 shift and without gunning it) I've found the car to be very fast in acceleration (as fast as professional reviewers found in their articles) and a very solid performer while shifting gears, even 1->2. It's just if I am unable to accelerate so fast due to traffic in front of me and my desire not to hit them when the system is more likely to do the blender noise or be rough from a stopped position. I'm hoping this is the same problem repeatable amongst others since common problems are far easier to resolve than random ones...

In short, the mechanic was right in saying to apply more firm acceleration, and as the DCT gets used to how I accelerate now I suspect even in high traffic situations the transmission will continue to improve... but it's impossible to tell, but from the moment 12B37 was installed and continuing to do the acceleration methods the mechanic had told way back when... the car has been a consistent joy to drive again! (and break-in period; again, the noise went from an outright nasty grind to a blender noise that's slightly quieter and there has been no negative impact on gear shift smoothness... )

* occasional rough idle from stop sign, typically at low RPM or not being firm with acceleration
* "blender-like" grinding noise from gear 1->2 idle that seemingly happens toward the end of the shift and only if I apply less than 2000 RPM. Even then that's still random, and if there's nobody in front of me, there is no noise if I apply 3000RPM (or if it's there the engine drowns it out.) Either way, at 1304 miles, there has been no shift jerkiness with the noise and the manual says there can be noise at times so this particular issue I'm not worried about unless something happens long-term. It does seem normal and with the amount of city driving I do...

Definitely happy with the DCT overall. Even without the 1->2 quibbles of the past, it's been far smoother than the old 4-speed automatic transmission...
Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #228
Rememo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95534
What I Drive: Was 2012 Focus. Now 2013 Impreza.

FF Reputation: 3 Rememo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I just had the update installed, but it's too early for me to pass any judgement on the performance changes except to say that it does accelerate better off the line.

However, it really screwed up MFT, and mine had been fairly stable after the 3.0 update. Now the navigation quadrant refuses to show which street I'm on, it randomly decides which media source to play when I restart the car (I usually listen to a USB drive, but MFT decided that I was listening to the radio when I restarted the car), and the radio stations don't always display in entertainment quadrant unless visit the entertainment screen and select a different band.

All of these MFT glitches, which I RARELY experienced before, happened during the 10 mile trip back from the dealer, during which I made two stops.

I'll never understand why MFT has to be so tightly integrated with the transmission software. It's like gambling now... Do I get an update for the transmission and risk screwing up MFT?

I may be forced to do a hard reset of MFT. We shall see.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #229
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rememo View Post
Now the navigation quadrant refuses to show which street I'm on
Try setting and activating a route, driving it for a couple of minutes, and then cancelling it. That is what I have to do when my street info disappears from the Nav quad every 2-3 weeks or so. This workaround has always brought it back for me though.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #230
Wonko93
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95344
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Grey Focus Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 Wonko93 Good Standing Member
i had the 12B37 update installed yesterday. So far, I notice a definite improvement in downshifting/acceleration both when turning at an intersection and when passing on the highway.

Bookmarks & Social Networks