TSB 12B37 - New? - Page 20 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #191
JesseE1981
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88551
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 JesseE1981 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've driven my car about 200 miles on the update now (and I did post above), but I want to add an update. After the update, I drive the car 120 miles on the highway, at 70mph, and I was getting an average of 38.8 mpg (according to the display). Additionally, today, it appears as though the rough transitions from 1st to 2nd are gone. Again, as noted in my post above, I'm not sure if air temp plays into this at all (like if the warm air outside does something to the transmission fluid, etc...), but it was rather warm here today in Michigan, so that may have affected it, I'm not sure.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #192
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Has anyone noticed since the update the kick down to a lower gear doesn't seem to occur like it did with the prior update? It seems to want to stay in the lowest gear as long as possible,. perhaps to further improve MPG.

Seems when I coast in for a left or right turn and then put my foot back on the gas after the turn it, there's a delay before it realizes it should downshift or it'll BOG like Im in 3rd gear at 10mph and then will violently downshift 2 gears and take off like a bat outta Hades. LOL.

I think I'm still adjusting to it.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #193
ServerTech
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91612
What I Drive: 2012 S.G. Focus Titanium Hatchback

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ServerTech Good Standing Member
I thought I would post my software update experience in this thread instead of creating yet another thread dealing with the same topic...

The update took less than an hour to complete. I then took it out for a 30 mile drive, in both wet and dry conditions. I didn't really stomp on it to see if there was any hesitation with the transmission kicking down gears so I can't comment on that, but I do notice a couple of things:

1) When casually accelerating from a stop, it seems to up-shift faster, meaning that it will cycle though the gears lower down in the RPM range.

2) The traction control doesn't seem to be quite as aggressive as it used to be.

There were a couple of times when I would take off from a stop on wet pavement that the tires had broken loose for a very brief moment before the TCS would kick in. Before the update, the Focus gave me the impression that it was having a hard time getting out of it's own way because of the TCS being (to me anyways) overly aggressive. My gut feeling is that a lot of the complaints about the car bogging down when taking off from a stop may have something to do with the TCS working "too well", if there can be such a thing... If there are any other noticeable changes after the update, then I'm sure time will tell.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #194
dan50
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 2,932, Level 33
Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33 Points: 2,932, Level: 33
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 dan50 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
One word of caution ... since Ford follows these forums it's never a goo idea to say they've done enough to fix a problem like this. Granted, this latest update seems to be getting us closer to where we should be but we're not there yet so don't encourage them to call it quits. How does this dual clutch transmission compare to the Volkswagen one?

I'm pleased the Ford seems to want to fix the DCT but it aint where it needs to be yet! Going forward this kind of gearbox is going to become more popular and it is in Fords interest to get a handle on it now or fall behind...

Brian
+1. I agree that the latest update is a real improvement, but also agree that Ford isn't home quite yet. While improved, the DCT is still unpredictable, delivering smooth launches and shifts sometimes, other times not. In addition, the soggy throttle response (presumably intended to protect the clutch) is still a major annoyance. So, keep working at it, Ford. While you may have gotten us to "acceptable", I wouldn't rush out to buy another or recommend to others quite yet.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #195
ericrz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96766
What I Drive: 2012 Black Hatch, SEL

FF Reputation: 1 ericrz Good Standing Member
Got my letter yesterday, appointment at the dealer tomorrow. Quoting myself below from the "transmission shaking" thread, here's hoping the FSA resolves these problems.

I'd also like to see an improvement in gas mileage. Over 700 miles on the car now, still only getting about 22mpg city, without particularly aggressive driving. (As a comparison, my last car, a Civic, got about 27mpg in real-life driving, rated at 25 city.)

I'll report back, post-update. Gratified to see the positive responses here, but a little concerned that for some of you, the initial improvements degrade after a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Yep. Mine has done this too. I've NEVER owned a car in my life with an automatic transmission that would roll backwards on an incline so easily. Not safe!

I also get a little shuddering at low speeds, especially when my engine is cool. Interestingly enough, I can predict when it will happen. There are two ways I can leave my neighborhood. The first way is a relatively flat stretch of road -- no problems there.

The second way requires going up a moderate hill and then stopping at a 3-way stop sign at the top of the hill. Whenever I go that way in the morning, after stopping at the intersection, the car will shudder at low speeds (15-25 mph) for the next few minutes, and then smooths out.

I only have 600 miles on my SEL hatch, so I'll wait until ~1000 miles or so before discussing this with the dealer.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:16 AM   #196
copernicium112
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 87742
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ti Sedan

Points 1,491, Level 21
Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21 Points: 1,491, Level: 21
Level Up 91% Completed
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 copernicium112 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrz View Post
Got my letter yesterday, appointment at the dealer tomorrow. Quoting myself below from the "transmission shaking" thread, here's hoping the FSA resolves these problems.

I'd also like to see an improvement in gas mileage. Over 700 miles on the car now, still only getting about 22mpg city, without particularly aggressive driving. (As a comparison, my last car, a Civic, got about 27mpg in real-life driving, rated at 25 city.)

I'll report back, post-update. Gratified to see the positive responses here, but a little concerned that for some of you, the initial improvements degrade after a couple of weeks.
I'm 4 days in (had it done Sat) and I can say that (so far) it has been great from a driveability perspective. Filled the tank up yesterday evening but I can't report the mileage as valid because they did have to leave the car running at the dealership while they dealt with other updates (knocked me down from about 35 calculated at previous fill up to just barely over 30 on yesterday's fill up). Have to give it a couple more really know what effect it had (or didn't have) on mileage. Driving it so far though is like a whole different car.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #197
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

Points 3,981, Level 40
Points: 3,981, Level: 40 Points: 3,981, Level: 40 Points: 3,981, Level: 40
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 12 valmundo Great Standing Member
Took my car to the dealer today for the update. So far so good. Everyone should get this update done asap.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #198
Dysan911
Focus Addict

I regret getting mine done. My prior update was better. Every time I let off the gas to make a turn I put my foot back on the gas and have to sit there and wait for several seconds for it to downshift. Why would it not already be in at least 2nd? If it were a manual and I was coasting from a speed that I had in 4th or 5th gear, as I made the turn I would already be in 2nd so that when I went back on the gas I would be in the proper gear.

Does NO ONE else have this issue? If not should I pull the Negative Battery cable off for a while to reset everything and does that even work?

THanks!
Old 05-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #199
awozniak33
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92331
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 awozniak33 Good Standing Member
I got my Focus letters today

Received two letters from Ford on my 2012 Focus SEL. One is a Safety Recall (12S29) to check the seal on the passenger side wiper motor electrical connector. This is considered a safety RECALL because of the possibility of losing the wiper during a heavy rain situation.

The other letter in the same envelope is a Customer Satisfaction Program letter (12B37) where the concern is "rough or jerky automatic transmission shifts" and "roll back when the driver is transitioning from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal while on a slight incline". The fix is to update (flash) the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), Transmission Control Module (TCM) and the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module. I am very happy to receive this letter, as my 2012 Focus was shifting erratically, sometimes not going into gear (freewheeling) and seemed to shift whenever it felt like it, regradless of accelerator pedal position. If you have a 2012 Focus, just mention the program numbers as shown here, and they will punch you into the computer and verify if your car is eligible. I dont see any reason why everybody doesnt get a letter in the mail, but hey, that would assume the USPS is batting 1000%. HAhahahaha!

PS for all of you complaining about slow kickdown, early-shifting, etc. Thats what the little up/down switch on the side of the gearshift lever is for!! Im just saying.....................................
Old 05-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #200
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awozniak33 View Post
PS for all of you complaining about slow kickdown, early-shifting, etc. Thats what the little up/down switch on the side of the gearshift lever is for!! Im just saying.....................................
That only works if your using manual "S" mode. If that was the only way I could get reasonable shifts, I would have just bought a Manual to begin with.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.