!! Steeda CAI Results Only !! - Page 15 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #141
asting
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98342
What I Drive: 2012, Tux Blk Met Focus 5d Sport

Points 509, Level 10
Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10 Points: 509, Level: 10
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 asting Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiikey1 View Post
That kit is designed for the ST, not the N.A. focus.
Audio: LC6i, Polk Audio db6501 front, db651s rear, db1040DVC sub, Rockford R600-5 Prime, Fatmat
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #142
spiikey1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 111130
What I Drive: 2012, Focus Trend Hatch Silver

Points 1,309, Level 20
Points: 1,309, Level: 20 Points: 1,309, Level: 20 Points: 1,309, Level: 20
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 spiikey1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman355 View Post
Ok as promised *cracks knuckles*:

Still comes in the same white Steeda box. Nice packaging as usual. Instructions were numerous but pretty simple and easy to follow. Parts were well made and all the holes lined up with the screws etc. The only thing I had to do was bore out one of the holes with my drill becasue I couldn't thread it by hand with my screw driver. It is a bit of a tight squeeze to get the completed unit inside but it not a huge deal. The hood does indeed seal with the top of the airbox as Steeda Brandon advertised (you could see a slight indentation in the soft foam of the hood from the airbox after it was closed and I drove it). Also the air filter is rather large. Install took me an hour, hour and a half. The only thing is; make sure you have one of those nice Craftsman 23 piece screwdriver with the magnetic insertable tips. You need various sized allen wrenches, a torx bit for the stock maf screws, a flat head and something else. Also don't mind the dirty steeda fuse box cover. I am still waiting on it to seal before I can give it a good wipedown.
Pic? Pic:

Also since I like Steeda, I am rocking their window decal (it came with the instructions). That has to be good for atleast 5 more horsepower.

So I suppose you want to know how it drives. As previously stated I already have the FS Werks race exhaust, so I was not expecting it to be any louder, just deeper in tone under throttle.

Startup: Sounded the same at idle. Revving it with the hood open gave some slight whooshing, which was not really as noticeable with the hood down due to loud exhasut.

Normal acceleration: Again sounds the same to me since I have my exhasut. No real difference in tone.

WOT: Sounds wicked! You really start to hear it at 3,000 rpms, and with the windows shut it almost sounded like secondary intake runners kicking in at 4,000. Windows down it is deep and throaty throughout the band. You can definitely hear it.

Performance? I definitely think it feels quicker throughout the rev band (remember the car isn't any louder really so I am not just thinking this becasue of more noise). Even at highway speeds in high gear it pulls harder.

So the much debated 20 pounds of torque gained down low?
I did launch it and only got minor wheel spin, but I don't think it really bogged or had that lag in acceleration as much. Note I am running 93 octane, so say what you will about that as well.

All in all, I think this car is quicker than the my old ST with the same mods. The gearing is a bit different but I still think this one is quicker. It does sound better too since the exhasut has only the one internal cat in the head that I still have on there, hence making it deeper and less raspy. I actually like the heat shield much better on this one as opposed to the old one. It is a better simpler design and I think this one is blocked off from the heat better too. I also like the fact that they retain the stock snorkel so it is pulling in colder air without the risk of hydrolock.

So the question to yourself is what to buy first intake or exhasut? Sound vs. power. While the exhaust does add power, the intake adds more and together they bring out the best in eachother. Personally I couldn't stand the lack of exhasut note (and Injen might had been the only intake out at the time) so I went with exhasut. The dual tip is sexy. Since I didn't post up a pic of my plastidipped stripes during the day here you go.

Exhaust vs CAI is interesting. Now that theres more out there at the moment, and bound to drop in price over the next year or so, i think id probably go with exhaust first too. Once done you can get a CAI after. and yeah sound vs power what you need more?

The wheel spin was not much? What tyres have you got? I have stock michellins, which the car came with, but planning to get pirellis probably.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #143
Mykal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus HB Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Mykal Good Standing Member
Installed mine today. Even after reading the posts i was surprised by how loud the intake is, not that it's a bad thing. I agree that it produces a distinctive growl not unlike the sound from Scooby Boxers, as was mentioned in an earlier post. Still too soon to say if there's a difference in performance but the throttle response 'seems' quicker.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #144
scotie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99704
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Sterling Gray

Points 60, Level 1
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 scotie Good Standing Member
recent Steeda add-on

definitely worth it. nice sound and noticed extra power but not a lot..my wife, who drives it more than I do LOVES it and she was very skeptical when she heard I wanted to add it. Now she's asking about an upgrade exhaust system!

Glad we have the 5- speed to really play with the tone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0744.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	17915  

Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #145
georgegren
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96328
What I Drive: 2013 Black 5 door Titanium

Points 17, Level 1
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 georgegren Good Standing Member
Poor mileage after install

I installed the Steeda CAI over the weekend on my 2013 5 door Titanium auto. Ran about 100 miles and the mileage was way down on the display guestamator. I typically hover around 30 MPG on highway. Did a 60 mile highway trip and could not get it above 25 MPG.
I pulled the Neg battery terminal this morning before work. Tried to really nurse it to work and still only got 27 MPG.

Is this typical? Should I check anything else?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #146
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,675, Level 95
Points: 24,675, Level: 95 Points: 24,675, Level: 95 Points: 24,675, Level: 95
Level Up 33% Completed
Level up: 33% Level up: 33% Level up: 33%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Generally speaking, adding an intake hurts fuel mileage due to the added air, extra fuel, and OEM exhaust restriction. Mpg gains are generally seen by opening the exhaust, as that improves exhaust flow and reduces strain on the motor by reducing pumping losses.

That being said, any time there is a change to our powertrain, you really need to wait it out for three full tanks of fuel before scrutinizing fuel economy. That allows the PCM enough time to figure out what is different with the a/f ratio and adjust accordingly. Some members have reported seeing gains-it is highly dependent on driving style and your typical commute.
2014 FiST-
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #147
scotie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99704
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatch Sterling Gray

Points 60, Level 1
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 scotie Good Standing Member
not what I have seen. mileage stayed about the same here 31-33 mpg w/ lots of highway driving but that's typical for me.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #148
Juicedz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108814
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus Hatchback SE, 5sp

Points 2,308, Level 29
Points: 2,308, Level: 29 Points: 2,308, Level: 29 Points: 2,308, Level: 29
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 Juicedz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Generally speaking, adding an intake hurts fuel mileage due to the added air, extra fuel, and OEM exhaust restriction. Mpg gains are generally seen by opening the exhaust, as that improves exhaust flow and reduces strain on the motor by reducing pumping losses.

That being said, any time there is a change to our powertrain, you really need to wait it out for three full tanks of fuel before scrutinizing fuel economy. That allows the PCM enough time to figure out what is different with the a/f ratio and adjust accordingly. Some members have reported seeing gains-it is highly dependent on driving style and your typical commute.
Highly agree with giving the PCM 3 full tanks to adjust. My car was not happy with the initial change in air inlet....after a couple tanks it smoothed out and mpg increased. I'd still say its 1mpg average less than stock for 50/50 mixed driving. Louder &slightly more seat of the pants acceleration though.
Hatch Nation#24 172whp 157wtq
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 PM   #149
Mykal
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96521
What I Drive: 2012 Focus HB Tuxedo Black SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Mykal Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegren View Post
I installed the Steeda CAI over the weekend on my 2013 5 door Titanium auto. Ran about 100 miles and the mileage was way down on the display guestamator. I typically hover around 30 MPG on highway. Did a 60 mile highway trip and could not get it above 25 MPG.
I pulled the Neg battery terminal this morning before work. Tried to really nurse it to work and still only got 27 MPG.

Is this typical? Should I check anything else?

Thanks in advance.
My MPG has not changed but if anything i've been lighter on the throttle since the CAI was added. Trying to get used to load and rpm range + throttle to determine what I feel is 'best' for the sound...

I wouldn't say power is all that much difference after a week but throttle response is improved.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #150
scoobtothenoog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114029
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 scoobtothenoog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'm extremely torn between this and the k&n. Anyone have experience with both of these?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.