Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil Question - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-26-2003, 12:06 AM   #81
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i don't use 10W oil in anything. I leave that to the suckers looking for a good deal. The military uses 10W oil as a perservitive for parts that are stored.. does that tell you anything?
ST crew #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2003, 01:06 PM   #82
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
well what about when you compare a 10w dino oil and a 10w synthetic oil, syns dont break down or anything, does it make any difference?
Old 11-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #83
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
It still doens't have the high temp protection the engine needs. You need to run what the manufacturer recommends for best results. What would be the reason to use 10W any ways?
ST crew #18
Old 11-27-2003, 05:31 PM   #84
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Why all the guessing? It's not like Ford is making you buy their oil-so that rules out an obvious alternative motive. Honda also recommends 5w-20 for their newer cars. (Regardless of the obvious bias we have for America Foci, Consumer Reports top small car for 2004, we must admit that Honda makes a good product and the vtec is a good engine)
So, why not use the weight oil that the manufacturer recommends? Other weights may protect your engine as well as a good 5w-20 but no other weights will do a better job-under normal temps and typical driving.
Why not simply use 5w-20 and call it good. ( Whether or not a synthetic could be debated.)

Jake

-Homer Simpson
Old 12-03-2003, 07:19 PM   #85
buffalogoat
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1988
What I Drive: 2000 LE ZETEC SONY EDITION

FF Reputation: 1 buffalogoat Good Standing Member
Synthetic Motor Oil!

I know everyone has an opinion on motor oils but forget opinions and look at the FACTS!
Everything you ever wanted to know about oil can be found on the internet. If you do your
homework, you will find out why almost all high performance cars & race cars use SYNTHETIC
oils exclusively! Conventional oils simply cannot come close in engine protection in both extreme heat & cold. As far as Ford switching to 5W20 after 2001... That has very little to do with engine protection. It's simply a cheap way to increase fuel mileage (at the expence of engine life!). Why are there so many different "weights" of oils on the store shelfs? One word:
MARKETING! Again, do your homework on "wear scars" & "flow rates" and you will see that under normal operating conditions, switching an oil's viscosity would have very little effect.
The BIG exception to this would be switching from conventional oils to synthetics! A synthetic
can offer much greater protection at much lower viscosities.
Here's a "real life" example... My 2000 Focus (ZETEC Engine) owners manual says I should use
10W30 for all driving conditions. At 3000 miles (first oil change), I switched to AMSOIL 0W30
full synthetic. I now have 89000 miles on my Focus and the oil has only been changed 4 TIMES!
I recently removed my valve cover (cam cover) to replace a leaking gasket and the camshafts
& inside of the valve cover looked NEW! Yes... Synthetics are that good!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:30 PM   #86
Chucko
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1098
What I Drive: '03 5-door SVT Focus, '89 Mustang 5.0

FF Reputation: 1 Chucko Good Standing Member
I happen to prefer synthetics, but for a lot of people a good quality dinosaur oil changed regularly is plenty good enough. And lots cheaper.

I am not convinced that you can really get 20K miles between oil changes with any oil. Sure, you can do oil analyses, but when the analysis costs as much as an oil change, why bother?? I prefer to change oil once it goes opaque, whether it's synthetic or conventional.

Oh, and in my book, 89K miles is just broken in. And I would worry more about the condition of the bottom end bearings than the cam lobes.
'03 CD Silver SVT Focus 5-door, #2001 of 2173
(and a '89 Mustang 5.0)
Old 12-03-2003, 07:32 PM   #87
fokuzsport
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
yes.. hi.. welcome noobs..

can you do me a favor.. can you do all of us a favor? let this topic DIE!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:46 PM   #88
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
This topic has gone off course as usual...

Old 12-03-2003, 09:52 PM   #89
fokuzsport
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 418
What I Drive: Pitch black FoKuZ zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fokuzsport Good Standing Member
you crack me up man
Old 12-04-2003, 12:22 AM   #90
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Motor Oil debates...forever!!!!!!!

My brother owns and Ducati motorcycle. On the web forum he frequents, they have out lawed oil discussions!

The problem, as I see it, is that very few of us are petrochemical engineers so we are at the mercy of what the "experts" say. Unfortunatly Amsoil has their experts while Mobil 1 and the others all have their experts; all with different test results It's enough to make you start drinking.

The key is to change one's oil on a regular basis....according to the experts that is. No really, that has to make sense. Dirty oil is like sand paper in a moving engine.

BTW, I'm using Torco SR-1 synthetic racing motor oil. Hey what can I say, they had a sale and Jackson Racing did a dyno test using a bone stock honda civ. HP was increased 3% using Torco. Torco is known in racing circles, motorcycles and in Europe.

Alright, thats it. I sucked my self in. Sorry.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Jake; 12-04-2003 at 08:57 AM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->