Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil Question - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2003, 02:46 PM   #31
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
The thinner cushion is not going to provide better wear protection. The tiny bit of extra drag that you get from a thicker oil is pretty much only going to affect the mileage.
It won't provide better wear protection between moving parts ( that is true) however it is no worse in that regard than a 5w-30. The point about the drag is that it causes more stress and metal fatique at the points of connection, not between parts moving next to one another. Over the life of the engine, this adds up and using a heaveir than recommended oil cause more wear.

In a way it is like the mechanics of riding a bike. If you travel over the same distence at the same speed but in a gear that causes you to spin more slowly with a greater load, it seems to be more comfortable than spinng faster with a lighter load. However the muscles in your legs fatique less quickly if you spin faster with a lighter load-again, over the same distence and same speed.

Point is the load your engine must push through cause the wear if the cushion is sufficient to provide protection between moving parts.

I have also been told that at start up a 5w-20 gets to moving parts more quickly than a 5w-30. Perhaps a second or so. But considering that 75% of engine wear takes place during this time, that second is significant. Quite honestly I'm not sure why this would be the case since they both have the same winter weight or flow rate when cold.

-Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 09:00 PM   #32
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
The thinner oil splashes better? Why in gods name do you think your car has an oil pump. If it needs to get somewhere, the engine has journals that carry the oil to whatever needs to be lubricated.

Yes, oil needs to be under pressure, but with 5w-20, you arent going to be getting as much oil pressure.

Ok.. .sorry. I didn't understand how much you really don't know about engines. Sorry for arguing with you about a point you will never understand.

1. Oil splashes on the bottoms of the pistons to cool them
2. Oil splashes on the cylinder walls to lubricate them
3. Oil splashes around the valve train to lube and cool them
4. You need to come to the realization that the engine tolerances were MADE to use 5W-20
oil. The oil pressure with the 5W-20 is just fine
5. A car manufacture ( I don't care who it is) is not going to recommend an oil that is bad for
there car, to avoid bad publicity, and bad reputation

Can you at least agree that using 5W-20 is not bad for the car? I agree that using 10W-30 over a period of 100,000 miles probably won't make a giant wear difference, but using the recommended oil will give all the benifits of higher fuel milage, and less wear, no questions about warentee and can stand up to any hp you can put to a focus motor.
ST crew #18
Old 11-12-2003, 07:31 AM   #33
viney266
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 93
What I Drive: focus ztw ,zx3,mustang, motorcycles

Points 229,582, Level 100
Points: 229,582, Level: 100 Points: 229,582, Level: 100 Points: 229,582, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 112 viney266 Excellent Standing Member viney266 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
oil arguements driving me mad

I've decided we have all been wrong. I'm going to run 90w-145gl5 in all my cars from now on ( it is the thickest and most lubricious stuff I can find).to further bolster it I am making a conncoction of every "snake-oil" out there, slick-50, marvel mystery oil, duralube, monkey chiz, et al....MY CAR WILL LAST FOREVER> muhahahahah
Old 11-12-2003, 09:07 AM   #34
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Heck, if thicker is better, put crisco in your car. It's cheap and readily available in most grocery stores. Turns to liquid when hot and returns to a soild when it cools off. This way, you have solid oil caked all over your motor at start up and should turn in to liquid within a minute or two after start up. If it's good enough for my chicken, it's good enough for my car...
Old 11-12-2003, 09:34 AM   #35
hendu33
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 659
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE/Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 hendu33 Good Standing Member
I'm going to run some combination of tar and vasoline...think that will be thick enough? I figure the tar would stay on the cylinder walls during a cold start for better protection ;).
Old 11-12-2003, 11:58 AM   #36
03ChromeChica
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1133
What I Drive: '03 CD Silver ZX5 Zetec

FF Reputation: 4 03ChromeChica Good Standing Member
I don't think that the oil would cause the car to run badly. You might want to get it to your dealer adn have them check it out ??? :/
Old 11-12-2003, 07:27 PM   #37
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
bottom line.....DEALERS SUCK.....but thanks anyways
Old 11-12-2003, 07:31 PM   #38
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally posted by vanace
The thinner oil splashes better? Why in gods name do you think your car has an oil pump. If it needs to get somewhere, the engine has journals that carry the oil to whatever needs to be lubricated.

Yes, oil needs to be under pressure, but with 5w-20, you arent going to be getting as much oil pressure.

Ill take common sense and useless information for $5000 Alex.....
Old 11-13-2003, 07:28 AM   #39
snellc001
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1695
What I Drive: 2003 ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 snellc001 Good Standing Member
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while now and this is my first post. I've been following this oil related thread for a while and wanted to add something to it. I don't think that your waranty can be voided be using a non-recommended weight of oil as long as it meets Ford specifications WSS-M2C153-H for 2001-2003 models or WSS-M2C153-G for others, and of course is API certified. Mobile1 0w-20 and Amsoil 5w-20 both exceed Ford specs and I'm sure there are other synthetics out there as well. I'll be doing my first oil change on my 2003 ZTS next week and will be using Amsoil 5w-20. I'm glad I found this forum, it's been very informative and entertaining.
Chris
Old 11-13-2003, 09:43 AM   #40
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
What do you mean by entertaining? Are you saying we amuse you? Do you think we are clowns. 'Cause we're not clowns, ya know. You're not better than us, if thats what you're thinking. Do you think you're better than us? 'Cause you're not, ya know. hahaha

A little bit of Good Fellas and some NY attitude tossed in.

BTW I agree with you. Its very entertaining stuff- sometimes, by accident, informative.

-Homer Simpson

Bookmarks & Social Networks