Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil Question - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #21
GaryFocus
Banned

Fan#: 1265
FF Reputation: 1 GaryFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally posted by slvrfocus03
You have a very good point and is true. I'm sure most people though have their own opinions like my own and it would be better safe than sorry to use factory recommendations.
How could i possibly be sorry from using 10w-30 compared to 5w-20 on the focus?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2003, 03:17 PM   #22
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
This just kills me.. All of the bench racers here who think they know more than the engeniers do about oil. Use what you want by all means, it is your car. But how can anyone here say with conviction that they know more than the manufacture about oil? Last I checked, motorcraft semi synthetic 5W-20 oil is cheaper in price than any of the other name brand full dino oils, reguardless weight. Logicical path of thinking says a thicker weight oil protects better. BULL! I can not see how if you use a 20W-50 oil, and the engine wears out before warentee (not saying it will, just a "supose if") that the manufacture of the car wouldn't void the warentee and not pay for the repair. You can talk about the laws reguarding warentees all you want, but that would be just plain negligence to use such an oil in a modern engine.
ST crew #18
Old 11-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #23
GaryFocus
Banned

the objective of ford's engineers was not to figure out a way for the vehicle to last forever. They picked 5w20 (as they did for virtually every vehicle they sell now)because they needed an oil that will raise fuel efficiency as much as they could and still let the engine last a reasonable amount of time under normal driving conditions.

How did you arrive at the conclusion of "BULL" that oil with a higher weight does not help wear protection at all? Are you saying you know more than the engineers at various oil companies? as well as common sense?
Old 11-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #24
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
the objective of ford's engineers was not to figure out a way for the vehicle to last forever. They picked 5w20 (as they did for virtually every vehicle they sell now)because they needed an oil that will raise fuel efficiency as much as they could and still let the engine last a reasonable amount of time under normal driving conditions.

How did you arrive at the conclusion of "BULL" that oil with a higher weight does not help wear protection at all? Are you saying you know more than the engineers at various oil companies? as well as common sense?

So your in the heads of ford engineers to know exactly all the reasons they went to 5W-20?

In our engines, using a heavier weight oil will not lubricate as well as a thinner oil made to get into the small clearances. The lighter oil flows faster to lube faster. Almost all wear is at startup. There is vertually no wear when running. Your oil system is under presure. The bearings have presurized oil running thru them. Oil does not compress. There is an oil film on the bearing and crank surfaces when the oil is under pressure. The shear strength of the thinner oil is engineered to be as high as the thicker oils (to a point) The thinner oil splashes better and gets into smaller pore areas of the engine, such as the cam follower area, providing better protection than a thicker oil. AJ foyt in the 1970's had a indy car engine made with all ball bearing and needle bearing construction. He saw ZERO hp gains in that engine compared to the exact engine with bearing inserts like our engines use. Point is, oil under pressure is an excelent bearing lubricant that keeps metal to metal contact to nearly zero while there is oil presure. Look at your tires as a comparable example. they only have 34 lbs pressure per tire, but they keep a 2 ton vehicle off the ground doesn't it? To use a thicker oil that trained engineers suggest is counter productive and gives you an emotional feeling of well being, and that is all. And to assume you know what the engineers made this oil for is just plain arrogant.
ST crew #18
Old 11-10-2003, 04:19 PM   #25
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Here we go again....

The conspiracy theory that the auto industry changed oils to meet CAFE standards.
No one can prove or disprove this theory but if you think that putting in 10w-30 or 20w-50 is good for your car, Go ahead. No one is stopping you.
But if your engine gets damaged because of the weight of oil you used, it might void your warranty. Yes, the dealer can tell which weight of oil you used on your car by running a test on your engine deposits.

Anyway, good luck on your decision and the brand and weight of oil you decide to use.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:37 AM   #26
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
I say 5w-20 all the way. When I spoke with a Ford Tech about this very subject he told me the recommendation by Ford was not made lightly. They made that determination based on 5 years of testing. With the closer tollerances of todays engines, the "cushion" film between moving parts actually needs to be smaller to avoid drag and cause the parts to wear out sooner from the extra load at the points of connection. Obviously there needs to be a balance as the cushion must be thick enought to protect parts from each other. The 5 year test determined that 5w-20 was that balanced weight and proved produce longer engine life than a 5w-30..
As an engine ages, a heaver oil makes sense. The engine is looser and needs a larger cushion. That is essentially what these oils for high milege engines do, they increase the cushion size as well as soften the engine seals.

As soon as I locate a syn @ 5w-20 I'm there and staying put.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Jake; 11-11-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:43 AM   #27
GaryFocus
Banned

The thinner cushion is not going to provide better wear protection. The tiny bit of extra drag that you get from a thicker oil is pretty much only going to affect the mileage. And probably by 1 mpg or less. With 5w-20, it has less shear strength than 10w-30, which means you are going to have to be right on time with your oil changes because it is going to start breaking down a lot sooner. I would buy the fact that ford decided that 5w20 was the best oil for our engine if it wasnt the recommendation for every single vehicle they have available right now.
Once the engine is broken in, you will need better protection 5w-20. is cutting it very close.

vanance:
Lets pretend for a minute that you didnt pull what you said either out of your a** or somebody elses (ford?)
The thinner oil splashes better? Why in gods name do you think your car has an oil pump. If it needs to get somewhere, the engine has journals that carry the oil to whatever needs to be lubricated.

Yes, oil needs to be under pressure, but with 5w-20, you arent going to be getting as much oil pressure.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:11 AM   #28
microtonal
FF #1 Most Wanted

Fan#: 470
What I Drive: 2012 GTI, 2014 Forester XT

FF Reputation: 12 microtonal Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Well, then don't listen to the manufacturer. Put 5w-30 in your car and call it good.
It's your car and if you want to put 5w-20 or 80w-90 oil in your car, go ahead, no one is stopping you. If your worried about 5w-20 dino oil shear strength not being good enough, then go 5w-20 synthetic. Unless your an oil chemist or an engine engineer, quoting statements from a tripod website is good as a 3 dollar bill.

Anyway, the decision is yours.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:28 AM   #29
slvrfocus03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Well said micro . This bascially all it boils down to as the individual having thier own choice. This debate has been just as big as one dealing w/ politics
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna
Old 11-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #30
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Obviously we all have the choice to do what ever we want to our cars, make any claims we want . After all we all know the ridiculous claims that are made for HP increase for some bolt on devices. Well just like with bolt-ons where we have the objective results or the dynometer, so to in oil performance one can objectively test for certain results.

Clearly testing can be fudged or results, which make no differerence, are quoted. We suspect manufactures to perform tests that put their product in a better light. However, there are independent labs that also test.

Fact is, in my conversation with this ex-Navy engineer, he told me he uses a synthetic in his Ford truck. After six thousand miles he switches filters but reuses the oil, topping off the amount left in the old oil filter. At 12K he carefully removes the oil and sends a vile of it to a laboratory. By analysis of the chemical compounds found in the sample, they not only determine engine wear but exactly what engine parts are experiencing wear!

It is true we have the right to be stupid and sometimes testing is fraudulent , but not always.

-Homer Simpson

Bookmarks & Social Networks