Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Oil Question - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-09-2003, 02:42 AM   #11
EuroZX3Focus
Black Magik

Fan#: 135
What I Drive: '00 Focus ZX3, '00 Civic EX Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I dont understand why they would do that. I guess my other question would be now that my car is nearing 60k miles should I switch to a 10w oil, instead of a 5w oil for better lubrication. My car just seems to run noisier than it used to with the 5w, would a 10w cause any problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2003, 11:23 AM   #12
Jake
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Good question. I like to know why they changed the specs myself. Are we all talking about the Zetec engine not the SPI?

Regarding switching to a 10w...well, considering that a 10w is thicker when cold than a 5w, and you live where you do, I wouldn't think switching to a 10w makes sense. However, the ex-Navy guy I spoke with did seem to think the oils made for High-mileage engines made sense. They have an additive package that treats the seals in the engine.

BTW, no probs switching from full synthetic back to organic. That used to be a problem but modern synthetics and organics are fully compatible, or so I've been told.

In the future we will all be using Synthetics and use the same oil for the life of the car! Seems that the only reason we need to change synthetics now is that they get dirty, they don't break down. They are working on super oil filters the will enable you to change filters every 20K and stay with the same oil. Pretty cool.

-Homer Simpson

Last edited by Jake; 11-09-2003 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #13
Katulec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1497
What I Drive: 2003 French Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 Katulec Good Standing Member
my car is fairly new (about 4k miles) and i'm still using the 10w-30 that came with the car. should i bother chaning oil to the lesser weight? i'm also in the southern area so it doesn't get real cold down here.
Suspension :: Strut Tower Brace
Projects on hold for a while until I decide where to go next.

Working at a Ford Dealership.

AIM: Katulec
Old 11-09-2003, 04:07 PM   #14
EuroZX3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39
What I Drive: 05 Black Scion TC

FF Reputation: 1 EuroZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
i run 5w20 in the winter, better for cold starts. u can try that caleb, i normally only have to run 2 intervals with 5 w 20 and im back with 5w30 in the spring.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:26 AM   #15
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
my car is fairly new (about 4k miles) and i'm still using the 10w-30 that came with the car. should i bother chaning oil to the lesser weight?

Your car is a 2003, so the oil in it is 5W-20. Use what they recommend. Especially since your under warentee. And none of us knows more than the engineers who designed the engine and oil. There is NO reason to change from the factory specs in regaurds to the oil.
ST crew #18
Old 11-10-2003, 10:12 AM   #16
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Use the Mobil 1. The 5w-20 spec (Mobil does make it if you look hard enough) is more for fuel mileage than anything else, but it is somewhat true that these engines are made to run a thinner oil. 5w-30 should be just fine for all seasons, and if you live in really hot climates, than a 10w-30 might not hurt. Also, the myth that you can't break an engine in on Mobil 1 is just that, a myth. (probably promoted by chevy small-block guys who usually have a hard time with rings sealing [especially moly] in their block which do not have as much nickel content in the block. I'd like to have a dollar for every time I have had a chevy guy warn me not to put moly rings into my engines (daily driver) because the rings won't seal good!) I called Mobil 1 and asked about it to clarify the myth, and they informed me that it was fine to break in an engine on Mobil 1, and that it was probably better to reduce start-up wear. I tried it recently on a 5.0 HO motor I built for my mother's Ranger, and it was just fine, as the rings sealed almost immediately. Also, the oil filter was not nearly as full as particulates that usually accompany an engine that has been started for the first time. Of course, this is a roller cam motor which means that the cam basicaly has not break in period.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:40 AM   #17
RPIJG
Mr. Wizard

Fan#: 18
What I Drive: '02 Focus SE 4DR Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 RPIJG Good Standing Member
syns won't swell your seals as much as dino does. If you have any bad seals, they will be worse when you use the syn.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:30 AM   #18
GaryFocus
Banned

Fan#: 1265
FF Reputation: 1 GaryFocus Good Standing Member
I wouldnt worry about switching back. If you use synthetic oil, it will most likely sound like that from a cold start anyway. You should probably let it idle for about 30 seconds or so before you drive it anyway. But if you drive your car hard, you are going to need better wear protection and you will not be able to get it from petrol oil or a blend. I guarantee it. If you drive like a wuss, dont worry about it though. I use 10w-30 Royal Purple. Its good.

I called Mobil 1 and asked about it to clarify the myth, and they informed me that it was fine to break in an engine on Mobil 1

Of course they did. Do you think they are going to tell you to use another company's oil?
Whether it would be or not, i would go ahead and recommend using 5w-20 for breaking in your engine. Synthetic, or petroleum, it probably doesnt matter.

Your car is a 2003, so the oil in it is 5W-20. Use what they recommend. Especially since your under warentee.

Why would your warranty go out if you used different oil? Have you even read the owners manual? They cant void your warranty if you use a different grade of oil than what is recommended. Thats why its called a recommendation. As long as the oil meets api or sae service requirements, it doesnt matter.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:57 AM   #19
slvrfocus03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 391
What I Drive: Silver 2003 Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slvrfocus03 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GaryFocus

Why would your warranty go out if you used different oil? Have you even read the owners manual? They cant void your warranty if you use a different grade of oil than what is recommended. Thats why its called a recommendation. As long as the oil meets api or sae service requirements, it doesnt matter.
You have a very good point and is true. I'm sure most people though have their own opinions like my own and it would be better safe than sorry to use factory recommendations. They wouldn't recommend it if it was going to harm the car. They recommend it cause that is what's best for that particular engine. They've done their research and they should know the does and don'ts and exactly what to use to make it last. One would argue, the recommendations are just enough to keep the vehicle right at min. standards, and it wouldn't last near as long as if you went on your own guidelines. That could be true as well. If that was the case, and if the vehicle didn't hold up well based on if the owner did everything by the factory recommendations, one is less likely to buy another vehicle by that manufacter. I would say use whatever you feel that is best for your vehicle. Everyone is going to have there own opinions such as myself. The only thing regarding the warranty issue, just like if you buy an appliance or electronics, the warranties on those most of the time say "restrictions apply". That is not necessarily the case on a vehicle warranty, but i'm sure they could make up their own rules, which some dealers do. If something did happen, they could say that it was caused by neglect to the customer by not following recommendations. You never do know anymore.
Current Mods: Tint/Darker Tint on rear windows and tint stripe on windshiled, Focus Fanatics.com decals on both rear windows, changed out base wiper switch w/ 6-speed intermitent wiper switch, Blue M&M (named B.J.) mounted in back seat all buckled in, 10"Pioneer sub w/ 240w Pioneer amp, xm satellite, clear corner lens, Focus third brake light sticker, Replaced stock antenna w/ a 6" aluminum antenna

Last edited by slvrfocus03; 11-10-2003 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:58 AM   #20
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I called Mobil 1 and asked about it to clarify the myth, and they informed me that it was fine to break in an engine on Mobil 1

[/QUOTE]

Dude, I know that, but it did work out just fine. I have built a lot of engines, and I was suprised and thankful that it worked out as well as it did on break-in.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->