lstats somewhat build thread - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #1
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107095
What I Drive: 2013 White Focus SE w/ black pack

Points 2,202, Level 28
Points: 2,202, Level: 28 Points: 2,202, Level: 28 Points: 2,202, Level: 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 lstat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
lstats somewhat build thread

So everybody keeps coming to me asking for a build thread, and honestly I have always thought about doing one but never got around to it. Because of that I don’t have step by step photos for all the mods I have made, and I reinstalled my Mac the other day so the few photos I did have are now gone (didn’t think it through ahead of time). So, Ill do a small reference from the photos on Facebook and my phone, and from here on out I will try to keep this thread updated with all the new goodies!

December 14, 2012: Purchase Day

2013 Ford Focus SE Hatchback: 201a, winter package, black pack, etc. First thing is first, I have to have my sub installed, so day one, an amp, sub, and LOC were added.

At the time of purchase I REALLY wanted something fast, but at the same time wanted something “nice.” I was coming from a 2008 Dodge Avenger and had decided long before that heated leather and a moon roof were a must, at the time all the options in my car were enough that the ST didn’t really matter as I wanted a car that was nearly loaded more than the base with a turbo, today, a year and a half later, that is a different story.

Before joining the Marine Corps I worked for my father, we do low voltage communication contracting in hotels around the country. We decided to clean out our storage units and bring all of the stuff to the house, this meant several trips like this, the brand new focus loaded down with several hundred pounds of coax cable at a time. I liked the lowered look, so this was probably what really made me want to start modifying the car (technically I added the mud flaps already at this point, but they were and OE add on). About the rear mudflaps being in front of the tires, don’t ask…

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lowered look.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	53329  

Attached Images

2013 Focus se: ST front bumper, Stoffler rear bumper, custom catback, Focus E RMM, K&N CAI, SCT tune
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I made a new friend shortly after that, he moved in with me for a short time, drove an RSX and was all the introduction I needed to the world of dip, and so the modding really began there.

Obviously becoming a member of Focus Fanatics meant I had to do the basics to my car immediately, so the whiskers and fog light rings were blacked out and I took the liberty to give the car the “VW” look which was nice, but not what I wanted. At this time the New Mission Mod and snorkel delete were completed and the air box lid went…well, somewhere in the mess of my garage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plastidip 1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	53337  

Name:	Focus:RSX2.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	53345  

2013 Focus se: ST front bumper, Stoffler rear bumper, custom catback, Focus E RMM, K&N CAI, SCT tune
Old 06-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Soon after I opted for the dipped ST look which was more the direction I wanted to go, it looked much sportier, at the time I also dipped the wheels, rear reflectors, and the tail lights. The first time I did the tail lights they were a little to dark, so I took the extra time to completely tape off the areas the light shines through and dipped them again. It was more of a Euro look, I think I have a photo somewhere.

I decided the wheels looked like hell and I hated the black ground effects all around the car, so I made a trip to Auto Zone for a few cans of Duplicolor. The dip came off the wheels and the side skirts, the front lips, and the rear skirt were removed to be painted.

Now the car looks a little bit better, but it still wasn’t perfect. My Lamin-X fog light tint finally came in, so it was installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Painted Skirts 4.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	53353  

Name:	Painted Skirts 3.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	53361  

Old 06-16-2014, 04:40 PM   #4
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
At this point I had fallen in love with the MK2 RS, so what do you think happened next? This is how my car sat for quite sometime, offset stripe and what looked like a wide open grille, everywhere I went people ate my car up, nobody could believe that this was really a Ford Focus, standing out is what I do, though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RS look.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	53369  

Old 06-16-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Fast forward to a few months to September 2013. Currently in 29 Palms, California surfing the web for car parts, I decided for my 20th birthday I was going to splurge and buy a “body kit.” I found a ST conversion bumper on eBay that nobody knew anything about, so I pulled the trigger and ordered it along with a set of fiberglass side skirts from Europe and the Stoffler rear bumper from European-parts (does anybody else have this rear bumper yet or am I still as far as I know the only one in the country with it?).

In October I had a friend take my car into Maaco to have all the parts painted and installed. As it turns out the fiberglass skirts I bought were ~1/2” to short front and rear on each side and couldn’t be installed. I was quoted $1,000 to get the fabricated and fitted correctly, no thanks, so they went back. In place I had the stock skirts sanded and painted to match. The front bumper nearly fit but needed a little fabrication to be almost perfect, where the bumper meets the fenders there is a gap a little larger than the OE bumper, but it isn’t so much you cringe when you see it or people ask questions. The Stoffler rear bumper had some major fitment issues from what I am told but it was fixed and fitted without an issue. I wish I had a photo of the way it was painted, I told them over the phone the bumper was to be white and the valance black, so they painted the whole damn thing black. Car had to be taken back the next day to be fixed. All in all I paid $1,000 for the work, I recommend Maaco for the fabrication part, but take your car elsewhere for paint, they did an awful job of that…..The front bumper and side skirts were half assed, the rear tunred out well after the second trip.

This is how the car sat until I came home on leave for Christmas in December, a few small differences were made, but nothing crazy. The plastidip stripe was traded for vinyl, the left front wheel went white (Ken Block style), the lower bit of the front bumper was dipped black, the heads, tails, and side markers were tinted with Nightshade, Rally Armor all around, and a few decals were added. I don’t have a ton if photos from this point, but you will see all this later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Stoffler Rear Bumper.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	53377  

Name:	Full Body Kit December.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	53385  

Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Its really crazy what small mods (and a lot of money) will do to change the look of a car. By now my leave was coming to an end and it was time to start the drive across the country back to California, it was a great feeling to finally have wheels out there after nearly a whole year of not driving.

The fun really began in January, I never officially joined any car clubs, but I was at a meet every week, be it Menifee Meetups, JDM, Temecula Tuesdays, SoCal Ford, etc. If something was happening, I was there, and this is where I really started getting into the car scene and modding, it doesn’t help that my closest friends were all in the Formula Drift scene and all had mad imports, that just made things worse for my bank account in the future as parts lists were thrown together.

Shortly after I got to Cali with my Focus I decided it was time to start performance mods. I went to an exhaust shop ~10 minutes from base and setup an appointment. Within a few days I was rocking a new setup.

I was recommended a Magnaflow Magnapack to replace the stock resonator, 2.5” all the way to the rear, y pipe, and dual exit from there. I supplied my own tips and only paid $370 after it was all said and done.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
I decided to do something about the interior of the Focus, I bought some white dip and went to town with it. In the near future everything will be vinyl, waiting until I figure out my after market head unit situation first.

Now it is roughly April, and I had just gotten some bad news. I have been in the Marine Corps for just a little over a year and my career is coming to a close just as fast as it began. I was separated due to medical reasons and it created a major bittersweet situation, yes, I am going home finally, but it sucks to leave the opportunities, lifestyle, and new friends behind. I enjoyed one last day at the beach with my friends and started my 1900 mile trip back home on May 6th, 2014.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #8
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Okay, cool, I am home, finally relaxing with family and friends. My friend is in the process of building a car and needed a few parts, so off to the local Pick N Pull we went, but that’s when I started having issues. We stopped at a gas station for smokes, snacks, and gas, up until this point everything is great, but the car started having major issues. It was idling high, kept trying to die in first gear, and had absolutely no power. Lucky us the local Ford dealership was a mile down the road, so down the backroads we went, struggling the whole way.

2 hours go by and I get a call from the dealer, they found the problem but it couldn’t be covered under warrenty. I made my way back to the lot and checked out my car. It turns out due to airbox modifications my MAF sensor was shorting out and was on its last leg. They couldn’t replace it due to the modifications (technically they could have but I wasn’t about to pay them $500 to do it) but they did clean it, which helped a lot. We made the hour drive home without a problem, I dropped my friend off and the car started having problems once more, wonderful. I decided it was time to order a MAF sensor and an intake to get rid of all these issues, but that’s not all that was on the list…
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tuner.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	53433  

Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 04:50 PM   #9
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
At this point I really liked the idea behind the rally style, so I went out and bought a few LED offroad lights. Definitely there more for looks than anything, they don’t work well at lighting the road up. I will more than likely remove these soon until I get parts together to make a removable light bar and get different lights. Definitely look great, though!

One of the last things to come in were my RS hood vents, and I couldn’t wait to have them installed. I went around to a few local customs shops and asked for quotes and nobody seemed confident enough to give me a price or say they could successfully do the install, so I took matters into my own hands with a dremel.

Just a little different placement than the RS, but they look really good. I can proudly say I am one of very few cars in town that has real, functional hood vents.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Hood Vent Install2.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	53497  

Attached Images

Old 06-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #10
lstat
Focus Enthusiast

Points 2,202, Level 28
Level Up 35% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The last big thing I have for now is my Paddle Shifter install. I posted this photo to instagram knowing it would probably blow up, and it pretty much did just that.

Unfortunately I was unsuccessful with a full install, as you see in the photo they are directly wired to the select shift, and just as I said in my Instagram post, yes, they do indeed work and shift the car in sport. I went ahead and ran my wires to my wheel so everything is there and ready to go when I get my AMG paddles ordered, the only issue is I was unable to mount these to the wheel, but, I am completely setup and ready to mount a set of fully functional paddles. This wasn’t hard to do at all, just time consuming. By the end of this year this will be a finished project, im not very worried about them at the moment. I have the ability to prove they work for the moment so that’s all I need until I get the correct parts.
Attached Images

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.