Tow Hook Location - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Fan#: 85247
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

FF Reputation: 9 Joeywhat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Tow Hook Location

1) Do the US 2012 Foci have locations for tow hooks (from what I've read NO...)

2) If not, what would be involved in adding one (removable preferred) that's sturdy and not some piece of crap that will break?

I spend a fair amount of time in muddy areas, and sometimes everything looks good until you're up to the doors in mud...last time this happened (in a different car) I spent a good 30 minutes on my back in a mud pit digging out enough of my car to find a suitable place to hook a tow strap. Would rather not experience that again...

So what options are there? I would GREATLY prefer a removable option as I think they look pretentious on a car that isn't raced.

Hatch Nation #29
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #2
Vernl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92066
What I Drive: 2012 Tri white Titanium 401a

FF Reputation: 1 Vernl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post

2) If not, what would be involved in adding one (removable preferred) that's sturdy and not some piece of crap that will break?

I spend a fair amount of time in muddy areas, and sometimes everything looks good until you're up to the doors in mud...last time this happened (in a different car) I spent a good 30 minutes on my back in a mud pit digging out enough of my car to find a suitable place to hook a tow strap. Would rather not experience that again...

So what options are there? I would GREATLY prefer a removable option as I think they look pretentious on a car that isn't raced.
The north american models do not...but if you see the posts with pics from a member in Aus, you will see a little pop out panel up near the headlight that you screw a hook into, much like many european cars. Ive watched to see how folks made out over the winter ...stuck in snow drifts and in ditches etc...but saw no posts....it will be an expensive thing to pull one of these out of the ditch, plastic bits will be everywhere...I for one live in a serious winter climate and sooner or later, the odds catch up with you especially in one of these low ground clearance non 4 wheel drive cars.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #3
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Hopefully I can at least find out where one can be suitably attached. I have the means to have some custom stuff made, but I would need to know where to mount it to for best results.
Hatch Nation #29
Old 04-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernl View Post
The north american models do not...but if you see the posts with pics from a member in Aus, you will see a little pop out panel up near the headlight that you screw a hook into, much like many european cars. Ive watched to see how folks made out over the winter ...stuck in snow drifts and in ditches etc...but saw no posts....it will be an expensive thing to pull one of these out of the ditch, plastic bits will be everywhere...I for one live in a serious winter climate and sooner or later, the odds catch up with you especially in one of these low ground clearance non 4 wheel drive cars.
Seems to me, that if a person could source a pop-out panel, then the bumper cover could be cut to the exact contour to fit the pop-out panel. Then, with this complete, a nut could be welded onto the bumper structure right at the location of the pop-out panel. Would, of course, require removal of the bumper cover, in its entirety, to allow the nut to be welded-on...

One worry, though, is that any electric arc welding performed on the car -- could fry any and all logic modules aboard the vehicle. Better to be able to either make a bolt-on arrangement, or to remove the substructure, take it off the car, to have the welding done.

Lots of work! :(
Old 04-30-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
ross smith
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93060
What I Drive: 2012, SilverFord Focus Hatch 1.6L

FF Reputation: 2 ross smith Good Standing Member
This is a photo of my Aussie Focus you can see the pop out piece in the front bumper for the tow hook which is located with the spare tyre.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
noahsfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90974
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Ti Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 5 noahsfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ross smith View Post
This is a photo of my Aussie Focus you can see the pop out piece in the front bumper for the tow hook which is located with the spare tyre.
That would be nice to have, if only US Ford would of done this.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
RKZX2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94762
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 RKZX2 Good Standing Member
the black fog bezels look sweet on white.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
ihdillon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88321
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Metallic

FF Reputation: 1 ihdillon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Everytime I search 2012 ford focus on ebay, a million tow hooks come up. It is kind of starting to annoy me.

Last edited by ihdillon; 04-30-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: tow not toe... It's been a long day
Old 05-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post

If you're burying a ford focus up to the doors in the mud, you might want to look into a Jeep or something ...

With that said - I would look into a small receiver for the back. You should be able to use a hitchpin and tow strap. The front ... eh not sure there.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks

Yeah, I'm not throwing a couple grand (at least) on a 4x4 when a tow hook works just fine...
Hatch Nation #29

Bookmarks & Social Networks