Lowering Stock Shifter Position (With Pictures) - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Theblueoval
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119194
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5Speed SE Sport Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Theblueoval Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Lowering Stock Shifter Position (With Pictures)

Hey guys this has been on my list of mods to do for sometime now and I finally got around to doing this before work today. I ordered my cutting die from Napa, the size is 12x1.25 and it ran me $4.55 after tax. I was able to complete this project using only the die, a wrench, a flathead, some cutting oil, and a hacksaw. The first thing you have to do is to remove the trim surrounding the shifter. Check out Twenty's review on how to do that here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=273852&page=2. It's pretty easy and just requires a flat head and some muscle. After you get the boot and knob off put a plastic bag around the base of the shifter to catch any metal shavings. Take not of how long the stock threads are (1 inch), and mark where the stock threads end and where you want to put new threads to (Down and inch from end of stock threads). You can do more or less but just make sure the amount of threading left comes to an inch. Then you can thread your die on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140908_110347.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	245.5 KB
ID:	67921

Make sure you use come cutting oil to help the die go down the threads and take your time and go slow. I used a wrench but you can use a socket if you can get one that fits. The die gets hot from the friction so do a half or quarter turn at a time then go back up a half or quarter turn to break free any shavings and keeping the threads from melting or stripping. After you have your threads as deep as you want them move your die up 1 inch from the end of the new threads and use it as a base to keep your hacksaw even.

Name:	20140908_114820.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	67929

After you have your thread cut you simply reattach the boot and knob and screw it back on firmly. It helps to apply downward pressure on the knob to get it to lock tight. Whala! you now have a lower sportier shifter and it only cost you ~$5 depending on what tools you already had and an hour of your time! The shift feel is much better and feels a little shorter plus the position is now perfect for me to rest my arm on the center console while shifting. Hope you guys found this useful!

Name:	20140908_121437.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	67937

Last edited by Theblueoval; 09-09-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 15 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Nice job well done.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #3
Kent253
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 181473
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Sport 5Speed

FF Reputation: 1 Kent253 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theblueoval View Post
Hey guys this has been on my list of mods to do for sometime now and I finally got around to doing this before work today. I ordered my cutting die from Napa, the size is 12x1.25 and it ran me $4.55 after tax. I was able to complete this project using only the die, a wrench, a flathead, some cutting oil, and a hacksaw. The first thing you have to do is to remove the trim surrounding the shifter. Check out Twenty's review on how to do that here: http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...=273852&page=2. It's pretty easy and just requires a flat head and some muscle. After you get the boot and knob off put a plastic bag around the base of the shifter to catch any metal shavings. Take not of how long the stock threads are (1 inch), and mark where the stock threads end and where you want to put new threads to (Down and inch from end of stock threads). You can do more or less but just make sure the amount of threading left comes to an inch. Then you can thread your die on. Attachment 67921 Make sure you use come cutting oil to help the die go down the threads and take your time and go slow. I used a wrench but you can use a socket if you can get one that fits. The die gets hot from the friction so do a half or quarter turn at a time then go back up a half or quarter turn to break free any shavings and keeping the threads from melting or stripping. After you have your threads as deep as you want them move your die up 1 inch from the end of the new threads and use it as a base to keep your hacksaw even. Attachment 67929 After you have your thread cut you simply reattach the boot and knob and screw it back on firmly. It helps to apply downward pressure on the knob to get it to lock tight. Whala! you now have a lower sportier shifter and it only cost you ~$5 depending on what tools you already had and an hour of your time! The shift feel is much better and feels a little shorter plus the position is now perfect for me to rest my arm on the center console while shifting. Hope you guys found this useful! Attachment 67937
I've done that and the difference is great. I did the solid shifter base bushing at the same time.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 6 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
Great write up! I remember doing this on my Seat Leon 1.8T 6spd MT few months ago
BTW did you leave the stick with the 1st gear on or what gear?
Old 09-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
Theblueoval
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119194
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5Speed SE Sport Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Theblueoval Good Standing Member
IIRC I left it in neutral and gripped the shifter with my free hand to keep it stationary. Sorry for the late response been busy with school.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->