Alternative to Ford fuel pumps? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #11
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84501
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 defektes Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heres another thing to consider. There was a member here who found a way to cut under the passenger seat and created a little door to pull pumps out. If I did this modification, I would use aftermarkets with warranties. But unless you do that mod, think about it this way: You'd have to put the car on stands again, drop the tank, disasemble, and then pull the pump and put a new replacement of the same type, that may or may not fail again like the first one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
car46999
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98177
What I Drive: 91 laser

FF Reputation: 1 car46999 Good Standing Member
pumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Well,
how long do you plan to keep the car? not my car, fixing for someone else
how long do you expect a used pump to last? a good fuel pump should last 200k miles, so if I got 100k out of a used pump that I paid 25% of new price I would consider that a win
/ how many will you have to replace per how long you wish to keep the car? hard to answer that, let me check my crystal ball
how long do the update pumps last?
I wish I knew, seems that the Focus has its fair share of fuel pump issues

cost/return? new pump $250, used pump $50

I'm on an update pump. I have over 100K on it and not a single issue. I pull the pump at least once a year and replace the sock filter. This seems a bit excessive to me, I own a 1991 plymouth that has its original sock in it, runs well

It's up to you what you're going to do, but IMO new Ford is the only reliable option. I agree, I would prefer a Ford
Old 04-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
car46999
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by defektes View Post
Heres another thing to consider. There was a member here who found a way to cut under the passenger seat and created a little door to pull pumps out. If I did this modification, I would use aftermarkets with warranties. But unless you do that mod, think about it this way: You'd have to put the car on stands again, drop the tank, disasemble, and then pull the pump and put a new replacement of the same type, that may or may not fail again like the first one.
I have considered this, not sure the owner wants to cut.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #14
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Well this is just stupid now.
If you're fixing someone else's car, go with what they want.
If they want to pay you a few times to do the same thing because of used/crappy parts, that's their problem.
If it's something you know they'll bitch about and claim you did them wrong, use new only. And personally I'd only use new. If they don't like the price they can go to a regular shop and pay their rates and prices for parts.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
car46999
Focus Rookie

a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
Well this is just stupid now.
If you're fixing someone else's car, go with what they want.
If they want to pay you a few times to do the same thing because of used/crappy parts, that's their problem.
If it's something you know they'll bitch about and claim you did them wrong, use new only. And personally I'd only use new. If they don't like the price they can go to a regular shop and pay their rates and prices for parts.
Wow,
Not sure your opinion is helpful.

Anyone use a Walbro pump in the "faulty design" FDM with success?

Anyone modify the "faulty design" FDM for better reliability?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
Stover
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105238
What I Drive: 00 silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Stover Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bringing this back, wondering if its possible to use an upgraded pump like a Walboro 255 or 190 in the old assembly instead of doing the update since I'm past the extended warranty
Old 01-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
bananaboat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39414
What I Drive: Mazda 2 but still own the 2 Focis

FF Reputation: 1 bananaboat Good Standing Member
The outlet looks to be too tall on the Walboro which is one of the issues in trying to use an Airtex/Precision E2448. The pump works but it just spews fuel into the tank and zero pressure in the lines. I'm in the same boat and will probably be replacing with a Carter pump and snipping the bottom ring in the tank.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #18
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
You guys do recognize there can be a difference in a pump designed to run at constant full speed and one which has to speed up and slow down all over the place right? Many pumps that run fine at full rpm do not like to be run slow at all, they will not last doing that.

The only 'faulty design' I see on the first Ford pumps is that the screen picked for use may be too fine for fuel containing ethanol. Early ethanol mixes in fuel carried more than acceptable water borne trash to easily clog them up, simply cleaning the screens makes pump work like new again for another roughly 75-85K miles. I cleaned both of mine with no pump replacement at all and they seems to be going even further the second time around. Curiously enough, one stopped up the bottom flat filter with white scummy stuff like snot, the other the bottom filter was clean but rust mud had totally clogged the pump sock itself. Both cleaned out to perfection with water. Willing to bet the fuel people figured out the trash in their product was going to be a legal albatross around their necks and they instituted new procedures for cleaner fuel to stop it. I'm still running old FDMs with no trouble whatsoever now. It may be that the problems were more a result of crap fuel rather than the pumps, Ford alluded to that in the recall..........

I have an Airtex/Carter in my Contour, been running for 4 years............

It seems silly to me to spend $20 for a sock when all you have to do is clean the old one with water to 100% open again. Of course, if buying a pump, you will have to buy a new one, you give that up to get warranty. The result of all the idiots who put new pump in with clogged filters, they don't even look. Or put pump in to burn it up when they only put in one pint of fuel in tank and they think that's enough. You're paying a moron surcharge when you buy the warranty. I chose to void it with the Contour pump, when they asked me why I would do that I pointed out if the pump didn't last my next one would be bought somewhere else and another brand. I detest spending a surcharge to subsidize the incompetence of others, a major reason why I hate lifetime warranty parts.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #19
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
it could also be the gaskets that go on top of the fuel pump. I had that problem, I could actually hear the pump come on adter replacing it but the car still wouldn't start, it wasn't getting sealed to the pump
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 01-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #20
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
If you are referring to the catch all rubber fitment gasket then yes, they can be placed wrong. Sometimes more than one choice of part too, match closest to the original.

Bookmarks & Social Networks