Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Focus 2012 MyTouch,can you add navigation ?

28K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Keenan84 
#1 · (Edited)
Focus 2012 with MyTouch Sync Canada.
Does anyone know if navigation can be added without going through Ford ?
I am reading that a navigation SD Card contains the software and maps, so
can I get a SD Card (origional Ford) and make it work? When I go into
MyTouch settings, 'Where Am I', it give my coordinations so there must be
some type of GPS installed.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I remember reading about not being able to add navigation to the non navigation units

I don't remember the exact details but I was reading it up on the Flex forums when I was looking for something else. The dealer messed up and got them a non navigational equipped Flex when they wanted one and Ford told them they cannot just swap it in. The software doesn't allow for it if I remember right

#4 ·
Added nav

I bought a wrecked focus 2012 nav on ebay and installed it in my 2012 focus without sd nav and it worked and even has the nav voice control. It doesn't seem to be tied with the vin, i took a chance and got lucky. Everything on the internet and ford dealership said it wouldn't work. I see the port for the usb backup camera so i may look into adding it in the future. The unit that i replaced looks identical to the installed nav unit, so i trust that it is just a program that needs to be installed for a nav addon.

I now have the full nav for $500. Anyone need a 2012 center bezel and working sync mft / sony unit?

#7 ·
I bought a wrecked focus 2012 nav on ebay and installed it in my 2012 focus without sd nav and it worked and even has the nav voice control. It doesn't seem to be tied with the vin, i took a chance and got lucky. Everything on the internet and ford dealership said it wouldn't work. I see the port for the usb backup camera so i may look into adding it in the future. The unit that i replaced looks identical to the installed nav unit, so i trust that it is just a program that needs to be installed for a nav addon.

I now have the full nav for $500. Anyone need a 2012 center bezel and working sync mft / sony unit?
I've been looking to do exactly what you did but haven't been able to find the part. Can you post which seller you bought from so I can keep an eye out?

#5 ·
There was plenty of disscussion about this in this Forum. The bottom line is that to have the Nav working with MFT, your car needs to be factory build that way. So far, no after market kit or way will allow you to purchase the SD nav card and make it work on your MFT. I use my 115$ Garmin, it's cheaper and she talks funny :)

#6 ·
Working nav upgrade

Maybe so, but I have fully functioning nav in my sync services nav focus 2012 titanium. It took the a3 sd card and the update without an issue. It can be done and my car is proof of this. If you have the junky sync services nav, this is a 25 minute install. It worked for me and it'll work for you.

#10 ·
I added navigation to mine. It gets updated 4x a year for free for life, has lots or free traffic routing services and never freezes mft and is voice controlled.

I just bought a tomtom, a nice beanbag holder and holder arm. I even saved $600 over Fords price...lol

#11 ·
And I just use my phone and Google Nav and saved the full $795. [poke]

Still, some of us are interested in a fully integrated navigation system for much less than what Ford wants. [thumb]

#12 · (Edited)
Yes, it took all of 20 minutes. There is a little plastic cap under the sony radio controls that pops out and there are two torx 20 screws, then the entire faceplate pops off. The radio unit is one piece and held in by 4 front facing torx 20 screws. All of the cables are already there from the sync voice navigation unit. Super simple swapout. I'm just glad it worked.

#15 ·
So ford service said that they might make this an option to add it to current MFT systems, though this was on twitter so...

Anybody know if this is true or if they are just blowing smoke?
I have a 2012 Titanium, I asked my sales person when I bought the car and he said there wasnt currently a way to add nav to it, but he was also surprised to learn that my car had an SD slot (not sure why). Really wish I could add nav without replacing the whole system.

#19 ·
I was able to add nav to my 2012 Titanium. I purchased a unit from a wreck and now have full nav. all of the controls work (voice, steering, backup cam) search for my posts for my tutorial. I will try to pull the unit and take a picture of the unit info in case you can't find a wreck and have to order from ford. The nav uses the SD slit for the A4 maps on radio firmware version 3.5.1. I may bet a lockpick and add front camera as well, the front camera turns on at 7mph and below, very cool.

#16 ·
All the MyFord Touch units that I have come across have an SD Card slot. Even my moms 2010 edge has it even though there is no way to add nav to it. According to ford, it is for playing music file on the MFT.

#18 ·
The Sync Navigation works fine for me, although the MFT would be even nicer in showing you more graphics and streets, if Ford only made Applink available for MFT you could easily use a Smartphone app like Telenav Scout to get the same effect and for the price of the Navigation package you could get a top of the line Smartphone.

For now if I want even more graphics, I just use my Smartphone and Telenav Navigator which was included on my phone when I bought it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.