What to Buy/What not? ...please help (beginner about to get some speakers) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-25-2004, 12:11 PM   #1
Steve14
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 14769
What I Drive: 2004 Ford Focus SW

FF Reputation: 1 Steve14 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What to Buy/What not? ...please help (beginner about to get some speakers)

Hello everyone and first off thanks for reading this; I'm a real beginner
when talking about car audio and I really hope someone around here can help
me solving a couple of doubts I have.

CURRENT SITUATION:
I'm a Ford Focus Station wagon owner and I'd like to install some kind of audio system on it.
I already own an amplifier 100RMSx4 (it's a good one ..I was told), a subwoofer (10") and a head unit (a sony mp3 player) that I'd like to keep.

Looks like I'm just missing some speakers then; I was thinking about installing some 6.5" components on the focus doors w/ an 6.5" adapter I own.
Found the spots, I have to decide what speakers to get ...and here my doubts
start to arise...

FRONT-STAGE CHOICHE:
My favourite kind of music is rock, but I often end up listening a bit of everything (but disco), just depending on my mood...

I was thinking about spending around $230 for the front speakers and what
I've been able to find for that price around here (I live in Italy BTW ...and
I cannot purchase from the US, becouse of our wicked 60% import taxes), is
what follows:

1) JBL P650c
2) BOSTON FS60
3) Infinity KAPPA 60.5cs

All of them are 6.5" components, that I've heard in different sites to be very good. Being a beginner, as I've told you, I'd still love if someone could give me some opinionsabout these and possibly give me some suggestion on what to look for (and how), when choosing speakers.

REAR FILL DOUBT:
My other doubt was about rear fill (I have some 6.5" bays on rear doors too),
where I was really unsure about what to do...
I've read pretty much everywhere that the rear could be easily forgotten and
have the front stage taking care of everything; I still wanted the passengers
on the back to get some decent music though (doesn't have to be good ...just
decent)...

Here there are the 4 configurations that popped out into my mind; I'd really
appreciate if someone could please suggest me what would be better (I have
some other $120 besides the one allocated for the front stage)...

1) No rear at all; front speakers can cover the whole car (and maybe I can
spend the $120 for getting even better front speakers)

2) Leave original car speakers (even if they suck, to tell the truth) on the
back, just lowering their volume, not to interfere w/ the front ...this gotta
be sufficient for ppl on the back and wouldn't trouble me on front (again,
spending the remaining $120 for getting better front speakers)

3) Get some other good components for the back (using just the mid/low part
of them, w/out installing the tweeters ...or do you install tweeters on the
back also, BTW?)

4) Get just some midranges for the back

5) Get some good coaxials for the back, just to improve a bit car original system
and save some money at the same time.

I then have one last question about points 3, 4 and 5; I was hence
curious to know if it was better to have all speakers of the same brand name
(IE JBL components on front & JBL coax on the rear) or if it was ok to "mix
up" different brand of speakers...

Well, thanks again for reading, I really hope someone can help me w/ my
doubts.

Steve

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2004, 02:56 PM   #2
carrierx
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11957
FF Reputation: 1 carrierx Good Standing Member
Well I can see you folowed the link. Someone else here has the station wagon with a really good system in it.

Some well informed audiophiles here. That and as far as audio in the focus is concerned, almost every nook and crany people here know.

Im thinking coaxials for the back and turn them down a bit. Having another component set in the rear might sound good for your passengers, but I think it would do bad things to your imageing up front. Im not sure where the rear speakrs are in the wagon though. Im assuming they are in the doors just like the front but ....
Old 10-25-2004, 10:12 PM   #3
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Link?

I'd keep the brands the same... like if you get Infinity Kappa Components up front, get Infinity Kappa or Reference (to save money) coaxials in the back. I mixed my Infinity Kappa 5x7's with some Pioneer 5x7's and the Infinities blew the Pioneers away!

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I have Infinity Kappa 6.5's in front and 5x7's in back in my ZX5, they were left overs from my previous vehicles. If I were to do it again, I might go ahead and install components up front.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:18 PM   #4
BONOMAN5064
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 627
What I Drive: 2007 Ion Redline Stage 2 Comp packg

FF Reputation: 1 BONOMAN5064 Good Standing Member
Component speakers are good, but installation might be a little tedious if new to doing things yourself.If you have the money to buy them then I would also suggest having them installed at a shop.Install will be a little more expensive.Keep in mind that component speakers can be significantly more expensive.I opted to put Polk Momo and was very happy with the end result, plus i did the install myself.

Magnaflow Catback, Steeda High Flow Intake, YFRO ECU update.

2003 5 DR SVT CD SILVER WITH HIDS PACKAGE AND AUDIOPHILE SYSTEM. CAR #363 OUT OF 2173.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:29 PM   #5
sidney61199
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7904
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 1 sidney61199 Good Standing Member
I would just use what you have (head unit, sub, amp) and replace the stock speakers with all the same brand name and maybe get a small amp to push them to really make them perform. One thing that I would put in any system I get is a EQ. Get one of the digital ones with like 10 bands or up and you will be amazed. Any ways I would get

4 replacment speakers for the stock ones
small amp for the 4 replacment speakers
a 10 + band digital eq with sub out puts for you to hook all your speakers up to

Alot of people say you don't need a amp for the replacment speakers but small good amps are cheap and you never want to be drowned out by bass. Just some opinions but I don't think you could go wrong with what you have plus what I mentioned.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:25 AM   #6
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 7987
What I Drive: 01 SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 FocusInCali Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
What amp and sub do you have?

You have a 100w x 4ch amp, so you are set for amping fronts and a single sub.

Go with #2, or #5 if you want the ability to fade in the rears for the occasional rear-seat passengers. Run them off the HU.

As far as what speakers to go with in the front, it depends on a few things; what are your speaker options there, what amp and sub you have, and how much do you want to spend.?.

The speakers you listed are probably good choices. Have you listened to them? What did you like? Also, keep in mind they will sound different in the car. Strong higher frequencies in the store generally sound harsh in the car.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:44 AM   #7
Steve14
Focus Rookie

Wow, thank you all for your useful suggestions! As for my amplifier, it's a Dragster (European Brand - http://www.dragster.ch) DA704; same brand as for the subwoofer.

REAR FILL:
At the end, I think I'll stick w/ components on the front and some (lowered volume) coaxials for the back. BTW, do you think I need a crossover or something else, to filter out higher frequencies off from the coax? ...or can I just put the speakers on?
And what if I install components... should I just leave the tweeters off or put the whole things on, like on front?

BRAND TO CHOOSE
As for what brand to choose, I was able to test the JBL only, becouse where I live it seems that dealers only carry full time Coral and Phonocar and I'm quite sure that is why these are italian brands that thay can make higher profits from. And, that's true, I know that speakers sound different at shops than in cars...

That was why I was actually looking for some suggestion about what was the best brand for listening some rock/alternative mainly, switching sometimes to rap and other stuff too (except for disco, techno, etc)...
I like something w/ a very clean & sharp sound, not too much constant bass, just some deep hits at moment ...and I expect these to come from my back sub, like it always happened on my other car..

Well, thank you very much once again, you've all been very helpful, I hope you can also give me a hand on these last two doubts!

Steve
Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 AM   #8
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Your DA704 seems like a decent amp. You've got 66w x 2 at 4ohms for the front components, and 220w for the sub (rears bridged). And I assume you have something like a single voice coil DWE106.

What about the High-tech or Competition series Dragster components? Are they any good?

Don't waste your money on components for the rear speakers. If the rear speakers are for passengers, then keep them complete and use decent coaxials.

The hard part is not knowing what speakers are in your country to choose from.

Audison makes high-end amps and they are Italian, you might be able to contact them for suggestions. http://www.audison.com

Going by name only, I'd suggest the Boston components out of your list.

Aha, just found some info for ya...
Vifa, Scan-speak, and Peerless may be available in Italy.

Also try Morel, DLS, Dynaudio, and CDT Audio.

Here is the int'l. list for CDT, email them to see if they have an Italian distributor yet.
http://www.cdtaudio.com/internationaldistributors.htm
info@cdtaudio.com

Oh, I think Adire Audio is in Italy as well. Check out the Adire Koda component set.

Hope this helps, and let us know what you find to choose from.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:16 AM   #9
Steve14
Focus Rookie

Wow, thanks a lot; that's definitely something that'll help me getting some awarness on some options on the market.

OK then, I'll stick w/ coax for the back (please clarify me this... do I need to filter them someways - IE put a crossover to filter out high frequencies - or can I just send'em the whole output from my HU?)

As for the speakers brands from the front, I'll get a bit deeper into it and see what I can find from the list above.

Thanks a lot,
Steve

PS as for the dragster components, I'm quite sure they're not bad at all and pretty easy to be found around here. The only problem is that probably I'd need a mortgage to get'em at retail price over here. That was why I was possibly looking for something that I could find in other EU countries on the internet (IE Germany), so that I'd be able to get stuff at a cheaper price, still w/out paying our wicked 60% import taxes...
No matter what, Italy is an expensive country, especially in certain areas (IE car audio) :-)
Old 10-26-2004, 06:36 AM   #10
FocusInCali
Focus Fanatic

Whole output from the HU for the rear coaxials, and only fade to them when you have rear passengers.

So, can you get speakers from other European countries?
If so, that makes it easier. I was looking for Italy only.

CDT Audio
Adire Audio Koda
DLS Iridium
Dynaudio

The entry level CDT CL, mid level HD, and Adire Koda will be easier on the wallet.
CDT ES, DLS Iridium, and Dynaudio are more money.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.