High Idle - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
dperry
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97914
What I Drive: 2006 Light Tundra Metallic Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dperry Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
High Idle

Hi, I'm hoping someone has had this problem and knows of a possible solution. My 2006 Focus ZX5 idles high when I press in the clutch pedal. When I'm driving along it's fine, but when I press in the clutch it continues to run at the same rpms. If I come to a stop it will idle high and after about 3-4 seconds the idle will come down to normal. I've tried cleaning the Throttle Body and the IAC valve, but not luck. I've also tried disconnecting the battery for an hour to see if that resets anything. Nothing is working and it seems to be killing my mpg...

Help please!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
biop8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96496
What I Drive: 2005 copper zx3

FF Reputation: 1 biop8 Good Standing Member
i have same problem. Don't know what causes it though:(
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
cdnfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 16384
What I Drive: 2011 Chevrolet Cruze LTZ Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 cdnfocus Good Standing Member
The throttle cable may be dislodged out of the metal bracket at the throttle body. Mine does it sometimes and its easily put back in place.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
defektes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84501
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 3 defektes Good Standing Member
I had this problem after I changed my timing belt, what solved it was I gave up on trying to find a vacuum leak, and just drove the car to work, 45 miles. Voila, high idle was gone.

Search for vacuum leaks, and use a scanner to check your TPS sensor. But first give it a good long drive on the highway, I think the computer has to adjust some stuff to run correctly.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
wintrjr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98312
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX3 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 wintrjr Good Standing Member
High Idle as well

I would be looking for some answers myself. I have a '06 ZX3 with a Duratec 5 speed with 105,000 miles. I am also new to Focus Fanatics.

My high idle started after I cleaned my throttle body (it was fairly gummed up and sticky when first depressing the gas peddle). I used a throttle body/carburetor cleaner, it is nice and clean and doesn't stick anymore. This was the start of my idle issue. My RPMs would be high and not come down to 750 and would hang high between shifts (manual trans). I changed the AIC (thinking I screwed it up with the cleaner) and this helped a little, my RPMs come down to 750 now but it takes forever to do so. Now at start up it will run at 2000 RPM for a while and come down veeeeeery slowly and between shifts the RPMs will still hang a bit but not as bad as before the AIC change. When I come to a stop I will depress the clutch at about 1000 RPM and they will jump to about 1800 and then come back down slowly. I am very confused !!!

I have also, within the same time period, had an exhaust shop remove the resonator and I installed a Steeda CAI.

I don't think it is a vacuum leak, too coincidental this started after the TB cleaning and I don't hear anything . . . but I haven't really checked. I have disconnected the battery for about an hour to reset. I have been driving the car to work but it is only about 10 miles to and from. I don't know if that is enough driving to reset the computer. It does not stall and runs really strong . . . just that darn high idle that takes forever to come down.

Have you found the problem with yours . . . or anyone out there have any thoughts.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 05:40 PM   #6
cyoun012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91345
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 cyoun012 Good Standing Member
I have the exact same issue as wintrjr, except mine is a 2005 ST. I put a K&N CAI on Saturday, and have driven 60 miles with the same idle problem. Disconnected the battery for 3 hours yesterday, with no improvement.

I'm going to disconnect the battery for 24 hours. Any advice would be great.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
dperry
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97914
What I Drive: 2006 Light Tundra Metallic Focus

FF Reputation: 1 dperry Good Standing Member
wintrjr - my idle problem also started up after cleaning the throttle body. I also changed out the throttle cable when I noticed it was a little frayed. I usually drive about 15 miles per day, but maybe I'll have to take a longer drive like defektes suggested.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
wintrjr
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 98312
What I Drive: 2006 Blue ZX3 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 wintrjr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dperry View Post
wintrjr - my idle problem also started up after cleaning the throttle body. I also changed out the throttle cable when I noticed it was a little frayed. I usually drive about 15 miles per day, but maybe I'll have to take a longer drive like defektes suggested.
I got my car out on the freeway for 60+ miles and no change on the isle. I'm just hoping that time on the road or miles on the car will change things. It's not horrible but it's definitely not what is was.
Has to be something with the cleaning of the TB. But why and will the idle ever return to normal???
Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
cyoun012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91345
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 cyoun012 Good Standing Member
P0507 - iac

I finally just popped a code on the way to work - P0507 Idle Air Control. I haven't had a chance to figure out what that means, but ive driven 100 miles now with no improvement.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #10
FocusedSlayer
has a screw loose

Fan#: 59042
What I Drive: 2007 CD Silver Sedan SE w/Sap

FF Reputation: 34 FocusedSlayer Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Sounds like the Idle Air Control valve is sticking or possibly needs replaced . I would try cleaning it first and if that doesn't work check into replacing it .

Also be sure to disconnect your negative battery cable for at least 15 minutes so the ECU can relearn the new parameters .

My rule of thumb is that anytime I do something to my Focus I disconnected the cable while I'm working on it and then pop it back on when finished.
Team Duratec #01,Sedan Revolution#4, Elder FocusedSlayer, Gump Crew 21

February 2012 Sedan of The Month

Bookmarks & Social Networks