transmission shifting - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
rbmount
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97552
What I Drive: 2012 race red focus se

FF Reputation: 1 rbmount Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
transmission shifting

has anyone had a problem with their xmission on a 12 focus downshifting on a long gradual grade while in cruise control? mine just started this weekend on a trip to maryland. i had the cruise set on 70, and it was fine going uphill, or on flat ground, but when i went downhill , it would downshift to 5th and not come back into 6th until i manually shifted it back. i had the tranny update done last year, with no problems til now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #2
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moved to "MK3 Focus".
Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #3
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmount View Post
has anyone had a problem with their xmission on a 12 focus downshifting on a long gradual grade while in cruise control? mine just started this weekend on a trip to maryland. i had the cruise set on 70, and it was fine going uphill, or on flat ground, but when i went downhill , it would downshift to 5th and not come back into 6th until i manually shifted it back. i had the tranny update done last year, with no problems til now.
This is normal behavior. It downshifts when you are about 5 MPH over your set speed. It will shift back up eventually, but it takes a while. I usually cruise in manual mode because of it...
Old 06-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
rbmount
Focus Rookie

dang, i hope this isn't the case, it just started this though.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #5
zehkaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98706
What I Drive: 2012 Tux Black Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 zehkaiser Good Standing Member
If you have a Focus with Select Shift you can put it into Sport Manual mode without causing a downshift by holding the shift up or down button, and then sliding the shifter back into S.

Just something to keep in mind in case you have a normal commute that it downshifts on.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #6
rbmount
Focus Rookie

well, i just wonder why it would wait 32k miles to show up? i've traveled down i-77 at the va/nc line down the 7mile downgrade several times before without it downshifting.
Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
Kyodai
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 170937
What I Drive: 2011 Moondust Silver Focus MK3

FF Reputation: 1 Kyodai Good Standing Member
Personally i have a manual transmission, but my neighbour is driving an autotomatic and he said in combination with Cruise Control it's a computer determining when to shift and decides so by rpm, so if the engine rolls like under 1500 rpm at the set speed it would shift down. I don't think the threshold value of the computer has changed, so somehow you dont get enough rpm in the 6th gear to hold the speed on a hill. Going downhill maybe it could not break enough, shifting down is also kinda using the engine to break... I'd watch the rpm gauge when that happens. Doubt it's something you can fix. Maybe the gears need new oiling, maybe the CC doesn't give sufficient gasoline (Or rather less/more than before). Maybe CC can't use the brake effectively enough...Guess its something only a good mechanic can find out.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
rbmount
Focus Rookie

reckon i'll have to wait to find out a fix-if i keep the car at all. called last week for an appointment to have it checked out. i was told to have it in at 7:30 this morning, so i got the wife and myself up and made the 20 mile drive to the dealer. pulled in the service bay, and was telling the service writer my problem, i was informed right off the bat that since the service bulletin was done on the tranny, it would probably cost me. then i was telling him the tranny was stuttering while turning in my road, and was asked if i was using hill assist. i said what? and was told i obviously wasn't using it since i looked confused. then i was asked if i could leave the car overnight since i didn't have an appointment, i said i did and was told again i didn't. so i said forget it, and left. hate to say it, but this is the second dealership to not do anything to my car, so i am done.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:46 PM   #9
SilverPony2001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 27073
What I Drive: 2013 SGM Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 8 SilverPony2001 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmount View Post
reckon i'll have to wait to find out a fix-if i keep the car at all. called last week for an appointment to have it checked out. i was told to have it in at 7:30 this morning, so i got the wife and myself up and made the 20 mile drive to the dealer. pulled in the service bay, and was telling the service writer my problem, i was informed right off the bat that since the service bulletin was done on the tranny, it would probably cost me. then i was telling him the tranny was stuttering while turning in my road, and was asked if i was using hill assist. i said what? and was told i obviously wasn't using it since i looked confused. then i was asked if i could leave the car overnight since i didn't have an appointment, i said i did and was told again i didn't. so i said forget it, and left. hate to say it, but this is the second dealership to not do anything to my car, so i am done.
I understand how some dealers can leave a bad taste in your mouth for the product brand, but I suggest you find another dealer. It's obvious the one you went to doesn't care about customer service or retaining customers.

The dealer I bought my car from has a "no appointment" policy. You can bring your car in whenever you want, no questions asked. They have also been very helpful when I tell them my problems, or show them a TSB I want performed. And even though they never offer a loaner, if I ask for one, I always get it. I think part of the experience of buying a car is knowing what kind of dealer you are buying it from.

Although they my dealer cannot fix this damn suspension clunk after two trips.....
Old 07-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
rbmount
Focus Rookie

took my car to my local dealer(didn't buy it there) they kept my appointment, and just called and said it looks like they're going to have to rebuild my tranny. i'm going to pick up the car and take it back next monday( the tech is backed up and can't look at it til the end of the week), so i'll take it back next monday and leave it. he said there was some sort of leakage( haven't seen any fluid).

Bookmarks & Social Networks