Ford SPI 2.0L Lawsuit - Page 4 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
red2009se

Fan#: 79513
What I Drive: car

FF Reputation: 1 red2009se Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
''I thought only wagons and sedans got the SPI ''

No, Zetec was std in wagons afer 2001 and option on sedans.

It's well past the warranty period, good luck! Liability lawyers would have sued by now, btw/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #32
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Ah thank you! I was on the right track but not completely right.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 05-09-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
jonnymcfly
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 59735
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 jonnymcfly Good Standing Member
You can I always do what I did. Rebuild the engine due to a dropped valve seat and then 2 years later blow a lower back hose on it on the fwy and blow the head gasket without the temp gauge ever showing it get hot and no warning signs of steam or a light. I'm sorry but from my experience the SPI is just altogether a piece of crap. Knowing what I know now I'd do a Zetec swap no matter how difficult it may sound. I think the should redefine the term Split Port on these engines. How bout Split Piston - which is what often happens after the seat drops.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #34
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing MemberEgz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroinsa View Post
SPI's never made it to the hatches,
* sold in the US. In Canada, you could get a SPI in a hatch.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #35
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84603
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 TeamZetec Good Standing Member
LMFAO!! threatening a LAWLsuit against Ford for a dropped valve seat...FUNNY. unless someone got injured by the vehicle due to a serious safety defect, your chances of winning such a case is 0%. Hell, thousands have brought lawsuits against Chrysler for SERIOUS safety defects where thousands of people were killed and LOST.You cant sue a company because they made a piece of shit car and you were nieve enough to buy it.

I had a mint condition 02 Focus SPI that dropped a valve seat on me a bit over a year ago so i understand your frustration. shit these days is low quality junk, you gotta do research before buying to make sure ur gettin a good product.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #36
a_2000_se
Focus Addict

Fan#: 62964
What I Drive: 2000 SE SOHC SPI, Compression @ 164

FF Reputation: 15 a_2000_se Great Standing Member
Don't laugh too hard. There have been successful lawsuits against FORD on things of a lot less value. Premature wear on front brake pads/rotors for one.... $350 to $1200+. There are probably many more across all car models/manufacturers. Search for 'Class Action' law suits.

Some lawyers daughter bought a Focus and the dealer pissed them off? Idk. But if you have the time - contact them, then tell us what they say.

http://www.findjustice.com/cases/con...-brake-defect/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the link goes bad here is the story:

Ford Focus Brake Defect

In 2002, Mehri & Skalet filed a class lawsuit action against Ford Motor Company alleging defects in the front braking system of the 2000 and 2001 Ford Focus. Our clients alleged that the break system contained a systemic defect that caused front brake pads and rotors to wear out prematurely and repeatedly, forcing unsuspecting owners to spend hundreds of dollars in repairs and maintenance on a recurring basis.

In 2005 Mehri & Skalet, along with co-counsel, filed a motion to certify a class of all persons who purchased or leased a 2000 or 2001 Ford Focus in the State of California. The motion contained multiple expert reports, hundreds of pages of documents and depositions, and statements from clients, all of which documented the extreme and unusual wear on Ford Focus breaks when compared with other automobiles and pointed to a systemic design issue rather than normal wear and tear.

In 2007 the Court granted the plaintiffs’ motion for certification of a warranty class. The Court’s opinion noted that “plaintiff’s present extensive evidence that the 2000 and 2001 Ford Focus exhibits excessive brake wear” and that a class action would benefit both the court and the litigants.

Settlement

The settlement provided for reimbursement for class members who had paid out-of-pocket to have the brakes in their 2000 or 2001 Ford Focus fixed or replaced. The average eligible claim received was approximately $350, with some claims exceeding $1,200.
Replaced #4 Piston, Rings, Rod+Bearings, AERA Re-Manufactured Cylinder Head and a light Hone. Then CLEANED the hell out of everything.
60k+ miles.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
aggrivatedowner03
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93499
What I Drive: 2003 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 aggrivatedowner03 Good Standing Member
Oh god! I hav an spi. :( ive been thinking bout getting a rebuilt engine cuz mine is running shitty. So should i get a zetec or duratec? *sigh* effin cars.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:22 AM   #38
Paladin
VEKTOR PLATE

Fan#: 64465
What I Drive: blue sub #6

FF Reputation: 10 Paladin Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
zetec is the cheapest option. get a duratec if you can afford it.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #39
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
true.

ugh..... they spelled brakes wrong several times in that thing. seriously.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 AM   #40
djwrg04
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78546
What I Drive: 2000 sangria SE 4door

FF Reputation: 3 djwrg04 Good Standing Member
My car is a 2000 SE sedan and my old SPI went back in December of 11, it had more than enough miles on it and for most of its life it had been hot-rodded around as a "hot 4-banger" by my dad when he bought it brand new back in 2000. I got it back in 09 and I abused the hell out of that poor old SPI until it finally died because it overheated and thus the head warped and the seat dropped out.
In the old engine I had an high lift e-f-p cam, mercury tracer intake(only for a very short time...), high-rpm dual valve springs from e-f-p, and a spec stage 1 clutch. That old engine was a rocket (in terms of split-port engines that is).

After it dropped, I didn't have the time to do an engine swap so I just said to hell with it and bought a re-designed SPI with all the flaws fixed and completely new. From the manufacturer I went ahead and bought the longest warranty my dad/me could get for it which was a 5 year 160k mile on top of the regular 2 year warranty.

I dealt with the issue and moved on with life. Of course, I was major pissed at the old engine going south, but it lived way longer than we had expected all while knowing since 2005 what the fate of the engine would be and still abusing the heck out of it.
If my dad had known at the time he bought it that the SPI (with as good a maintenence we kept on it) would eventually fail well before a zetec then he would have put up the extra cash to buy the zetec version but sadly nobody knew back then.

--not to thread Jack but I'm pretty proud of my SPI Focus since I'm stuck with it! ^-^

^^ Thats the new engine in it while it got dyno'ed at McNews at FR12. It made 89.5 HP and 110 tq. @ 5800 rpm.

Sent from my DROID X2 using FF Mobile
Sedan Revolution #231 || FocusXtreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbridledCarnage View Post
im not paying 124 a night. period. lol bring a gun and bunker down!

Bookmarks & Social Networks