2009 Ford Focus - Rear Brake Drums - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
hyperspunk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64939
What I Drive: 2009 Blue Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 hyperspunk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Red face 2009 Ford Focus - Rear Brake Drums

Hello,

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the rear brake drums so I could replace the brake shoes? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
matz2453
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88492
What I Drive: 2010 black ses, 2012 Mitsu

FF Reputation: 4 matz2453 Good Standing Member
you got to take the axle nut off, which is behind the silver cap on the drum and then hit it with a hammer
SES #031
Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #3
hyperspunk
Focus Rookie

THANK YOU SO MUCH ... I will give it a try. Just one more thing if you don't mind, what size socket is it? Just to make sure I'm unscrewing the right nut. I'm a beginner here with the Focus.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #4
matz2453
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88492
What I Drive: 2010 black ses, 2012 Mitsu

FF Reputation: 4 matz2453 Good Standing Member
I'm pretty sure its a 30mm, or somwhere around that lol
SES #031
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
hyperspunk
Focus Rookie

It didn't work. A friend told me that it might have "clips" that are hard to find that keep them in place. Does anyone know where these clips might be? A picture if possible. Thanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
You might want to read some of the old drum brake threads for the details, but here's a "primer" on them...

That large nut holds the bearings on the stub axle, thereby keeping the drum in place. It needs a LARGE torque value when installed, & is SUPPOSED to be replaced whenever removed...

Bearing assembly is pressed into the hub, so it can't be renewed without special tools (buy a new assembly, or pay for it to be done).

Drums are typically hard to remove because of wear & rust. The contact area wears, and the edge rusts, creating a ridge that grabs the shoes when you try to remove it.

Most brakes these days don't have a method to manually adjust the shoes back from the drums, so shoes & hardware are typically damaged when drums are removed - so don't pull drums without new shoes & a hdwe. packet in hand... If someone "adjusted" the rear brakes by changing the E-brake cable adjustment, that needs to be loosened as well.

On the Focus, the entire stub axle, bearing & drum assembly can be removed from behind by removing the four nuts that hold it on - some find this easier than removing the axle nut, replacing & retorquing it.

No "hidden clips" holding the drum, your friend may have been thinking of the 'clips" that hold the brake shoes in position - which often are damaged when forcing the drum off of the shoes.

Drums at the rear seldom need service before QUITE a few miles have passed, and at that point I'd actually suggest a complete replacement so you don't need to dive in there again for a LONG time...

Drums with new bearings, new axle nut, new shoes and a replacement hdwe. kit.

Ford shoes might be worth it as well, due to many reports of squeaks & squeals when using some others...

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->