Help. 2000 Zetec spitting out coolant from plug holes on valve cover! - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #11
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97222
What I Drive: 2000,ZX3,Blue,3DR,Auto,2.0ZETEC16

FF Reputation: 1 CitizenPete Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for the input! Status Update.

I found the plugs and ordered them through a parts department at a Ford dealership. They are called :

" 3/8" Pipe Cylinder Head Valley Plugs " Part number: ???

They come in twos for around $7 (dealer price nonsense). They will be in on Friday.

Good idea to get some PB Blaster -- I am familiar with that product. I will research the Permatex gasket tack / high temp sealer. At this point I'm focused on how to get the plug out.

Just found the plugs on Rock Auto ($.43) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3270435
DORMAN Part # 090028
3/8-18 NPT C.S. Hex Pipe Plug (2-Req); ZTS Model; ZX3 Model; LE Model

Last edited by CitizenPete; 04-11-2012 at 07:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
id10t
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93706
What I Drive: 2002 ZX3 charcoal

FF Reputation: 3 id10t Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you ever have the cooling system pressure tested? They can do this at Auto Zone too in a few minutes.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,598, Level 98
Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Um, if those are NPT (national pipe thread) 3/8" plugs, you can find those at home depot. You might even be able to find them in AL, although galvanized stainless is going to be more common. Look in the plumbing section for gas fittings, or the electrical section for rigid metallic conduit. The square drive is simply a 1/2". I have loads of these in different types, the other type- more common in plumbing- has a raised square instead of inverted.

That explains why it would be so difficult to remove something threaded- galvanic reaction. I'd start with the one that's most likely to be the leak, and forget the other one if it doesn't come out easily.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:27 AM   #14
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
Um, if those are NPT (national pipe thread) 3/8" plugs, you can find those at home depot. [...]
That's why I paid the Ford Dealer premium for a set of two plugs. First for the correct metal material -- the Rock Auto part does look galvanized. The original does not look galvanized and is a torx screw instead of a square or hex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
That explains why it would be so difficult to remove something threaded- galvanic reaction. I'd start with the one that's most likely to be the leak, and forget the other one if it doesn't come out easily.

I'm with you on that. I picked up the Permatex Indian Head Gasket Tack, and some other "elixirs" you recommended along with a left handed bit. I also have a very small butane kitchen torch for creme brulee that I will use to heat it up. Got PB Blaster doing it's magic on them currently.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #15
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,039, Level 71
Points: 12,039, Level: 71 Points: 12,039, Level: 71 Points: 12,039, Level: 71
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Description tells the tale of what they are - Pipe Plugs! As in the things you get at the hdwe. store for iron pipe plumbing.....

SO - I'd actually recommend teflon tape from the hdwe. for the threads, assuming the head threads are still there. It's a lube & sealant that's better than 'pipe dope" in most applications. It was good enough for pipe joints when I worked at the Oil Refinery, so I use it when ever I screw pipe together....

Luck!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by id10t View Post
Did you ever have the cooling system pressure tested? They can do this at Auto Zone too in a few minutes.
Autozone didn't have the adapter for the coolant tester to screw on to the overflow/fill reservoir. They only had the radiator cap type connector.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
CitizenPete
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Description tells the tale of what they are - Pipe Plugs! As in the things you get at the hdwe. store for iron pipe plumbing.....

SO - I'd actually recommend teflon tape from the hdwe. for the threads, assuming the head threads are still there. It's a lube & sealant that's better than 'pipe dope" in most applications. It was good enough for pipe joints when I worked at the Oil Refinery, so I use it when ever I screw pipe together....

Luck!
I saw that on another forum from the UK (he used teflon tape). I was wondering if the tape would eventually melt away with the high head temps? I was going to go for the high temp gasket tack.

I asked the Ford dealership Technician -- no reply to date.

Options??? Which one is better?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
sailor
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 12,039, Level 71
Points: 12,039, Level: 71 Points: 12,039, Level: 71 Points: 12,039, Level: 71
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Stick with the stuff you bought already, it should do the job just fine.

Teflon tape is pretty high temp stuff - think of your fry pans....

But it acts mainly as a lubricant in screwing pipes together so the metal can actually make the final seal when it's screwed together well.

I've used "Pipe Dope" on gas fittings that WEREN'T in the best condition to make a better seal, it's a judgement call - I'd use the tape on good fittings & "Dope" on poor ones I needed to re-use (like your Head if the threads aren't the best any more).
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
Missourileo
Captain Retard

Fan#: 55980
What I Drive: 2002 Black SVT ZX3,93 SVT Lightning

Points 5,291, Level 46
Points: 5,291, Level: 46 Points: 5,291, Level: 46 Points: 5,291, Level: 46
Level Up 71% Completed
Level up: 71% Level up: 71% Level up: 71%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 20 Missourileo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Take it from a pipefitter in the business for over 15yrs, t-tape is a lubricant. You use high temp thread sealant on steam lines( would work on your application) and teflon paste on low temp lines.
Midwest crew #36
Hatch Nation#50
January 2010 ROTM
Old 04-16-2012, 07:45 AM   #20
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,225, Level 35
Points: 3,225, Level: 35 Points: 3,225, Level: 35 Points: 3,225, Level: 35
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 60%
Activity: 60% Activity: 60% Activity: 60%
FF Reputation: 25 amc49 Great Standing Member
Be aware that teflon tape will actually 'lube' threads enough that it becomes easier to crack thread bosses since the lubed plug does not seem to pull up to torque like a normal bolt. Seen it done in aluminum intakes more than once.

Permatex #2 works excellently on pipe plugs in motor work as well and commonly available or its' clone (Versachem, available at O'Reilly's).

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.