Low boost DD budget build - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
zetecfreak
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30875
What I Drive: TURBOD Black 02 SE

FF Reputation: 9 zetecfreak Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Low boost DD budget build

Im finally back in a focus, and now I remember why I boosted the last one. Put simply there is just not enough power from the stock motor to make me happy. But I must keep the car reliable and safe when driving hard so I have decided to do a budget turbo build.

This isnt my first turbo build but it is the first time I am going to try to cut every corner possible while not seriously effecting reliabillity. Now I probably could have just PMd Tom for most of this info but other opinions are always nice.
My goal is around 180whp for every day use and would like to be able to achieve 200whp when im in the mood.

Here are my questions:
How much will the stock MAF read without a MaFIA or is there a cheap fix for low boost?
Intercoolers are expensive so around when do they become nescessary for engine safety or are they basicly required? Im not sure how high the intake temps will get without one.
Turbo selection advice? Im thinking a turbo off a DSM, Volvo, or any 4cyl turbo car.
Im planning to use the OBX manifold and downpipe strictly because it is cheap, but if it has a high failure rate I will fab my own and that takes more time than I would like.

I already understand tuning and the ins and outs of turbo setups theres just a couple pecuialars I would like to know before I start buying parts.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Jakefrom
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96575
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Jakefrom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Check out Saab turbos as well. They can handle high boost if you ever want to bump it up. My friend had his 9-3 running in the mid to upper 20s.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
This also intrigues me. My fofo has 150k on her and a low boost application is just what I want...... I'm in on this one with you bro
Old 03-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
ThatOneFocusGuy
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 59087
What I Drive: 13 RR ST3, 02 ZX3 Battleship

FF Reputation: 7 ThatOneFocusGuy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
You turboing your 2.3 or did you find another Zetec?
CincySCCA #54 EP & #54 DSP
Old 03-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
Turbo Turtle
Fins Up!

Fan#: 32772
What I Drive: Miata, STi, GSXR1k

FF Reputation: 54 Turbo Turtle Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (25)
you will be fine with the stock maf at that power. and put a IC on it no matter what.

facebook.com/TurboTurtleGarage
TurboTurtleFab@gmail.com
Old 03-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
zetecfreak
Focus Addict

Thanks turtle and I did forget its a zetec car. Does anyone know if they ever made a predator that works in the focus? I know someone with the software if I could get a predator lol
Old 03-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
ratimpulse
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 95643
What I Drive: '05 Silver ST Boosted ;)

FF Reputation: 1 ratimpulse Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Glad to see others take the DIY route! There are plenty of corners to cut, trust me. If you can weld, it gets even cheaper. Granted my platform was a 2.3, however zetec parts are more readily available. The hard part is finding a nice cheap turbo. Craigslist, FF b/s/t forum, FJ forums...or go to your local pick'em junk yards and grab one there (if their are any left lol). I happen to have a buddy that had just pulled a gt28rs of his focus, and I didn't leave him alone till i had it >:} Cost me 400 and it was in great shape. Got my intercooler kit on ebay for 150 bucks and came with all the T clamps and couplings i needed, and its takin my curb rash like a champ. Not even a tiny puny hairline on it. Its a universal kit so fabrication is a must, however anyone with a though process can piece one together to fit. As for your MAF issue, i just threw mine in a blow thru 3" tube so i didn't peg it. Also very cheap and easy to make. Just cut your stock maf insert off your stock tube and 2 part epoxy it to a 3" exhaust tube. Your likely to do the same if your looking at anything close to 200hp. Manifold I got from JGS for 200 bucks. Yea yea you can find them cheaper on ebay, but lets not get too crazy here. Limits...limits. I have the luxury of working in a focus salvage shop thus being able to weld and even better...having a welder, BUT im sure if you cut and beveled everything to fit, it wouldnt cost much to zap it at your local welding shop. BOV is also an ebay winner. I will note that I took it apart and inspected the diaphragm before i even though about putting it on the car. Turns out i was one of the lucky ones and for 40 bucks, i cant complain. Exhaust and downpipe i fabricated myself with the help of the Mandrel Exhaust Systems 3" exhaust tubing kit for the focus. All i did was add a $40 magnaflow 22" long resonator and what I ended up with was a 260 dollar turbo back exhaust system. Not too shabby if i may say so. I estimate my kit in total after tuning and all the other misc bs that comes up along the way to have cost around 1600-1800 which is almost HALF the price of other R&D'd kits out there. I figure why pay someone else to do it when its more fun to do it yourself. Good luck with the build!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #8
zetecfreak
Focus Addict

Ok I have been researching some things and I believe I am going to build a total ebay kit. Im going to see if the ebay turbo that is both water and oil cooled also internaly wastegated will hold up to whatever the stock wastegate is. Im assuming around 8 psi but we will see. That with the OBX setup and ebay intercooler kit. Thats about 500 bucks and all i need with that is tuning and injectors. Im not sure if anyone has tried it, the worst that could happen is the turbo fail and I take the kit back off lol
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Need to do the math and look at my DIY kit

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
toms DIY kit is the cheapest but then you still have to purchase a few other things seperately
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON

Bookmarks & Social Networks