Blah - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
Njoy Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96869
Location: Spring Hill, FL
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, 4DR, LX Ford Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 Njoy Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Blah

Going to cost me 275 for the new cylinder heads and 400-500 in labor it to get put in... Sigh... Kind of wish I did my research before I jumped on my car.

/Rant ended


Njoy Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:20 PM   #2
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97166
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

Posts: 294
FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Focus View Post
Going to cost me 275 for the new cylinder heads and 400-500 in labor it to get put in... Sigh... Kind of wish I did my research before I jumped on my car.

/Rant ended
Which engine do you have and why does it need a new cylinder head?

What about a new cylinder head gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, etc.?
BlueFocusSE5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #3
Njoy Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96869
Location: Spring Hill, FL
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, 4DR, LX Ford Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 Njoy Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
Which engine do you have and why does it need a new cylinder head?

What about a new cylinder head gasket, exhaust manifold gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, etc.?
The exact engine down the the specs I'm not sure of but the first one in the car went at 125k *Before I bought it* and the second went on the rebuilt engine at 81k... 80 miles of me driving it in total... So I asked around on how to prevent this from never happening again and well I was told to buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FOCUS-2...ht_3252wt_1265 and have it put in my car. I really don't know much about cars but this seems to be the only way to fix the valve seats from dropping out randomly. Cars bin at the shop for 2 weeks now and the engine won't come in till Monday (THANK GOD FOR WARRANTIES) and won't be fully in the car till Thursday/Friday.
Njoy Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #4
matmatician
Cars&Corgis
 
matmatician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fan#: 81361
Location: Mill Creek, WA
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Posts: 4,362
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I hear ya brotha. Before I bought my focus and heard a ticking noise. I thought it could be a problem, but my dad (whose knowledge I usually defer to) assured me it was nothing. Less than a year later, I found it has shot valves and that the lifters are bad.

At least you aren't out $1800 for a new engine + install.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
What spare tire? The one that adds weight? Psh. Its wherever my A/C is.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
matmatician is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97166
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

Posts: 294
FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Focus View Post
The exact engine down the the specs I'm not sure of but the first one in the car went at 125k *Before I bought it* and the second went on the rebuilt engine at 81k... 80 miles of me driving it in total... So I asked around on how to prevent this from never happening again and well I was told to buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-FOCUS-2...ht_3252wt_1265 and have it put in my car. I really don't know much about cars but this seems to be the only way to fix the valve seats from dropping out randomly. Cars bin at the shop for 2 weeks now and the engine won't come in till Monday (THANK GOD FOR WARRANTIES) and won't be fully in the car till Thursday/Friday.
A 2002 vehicle still has a factory warranty?
BlueFocusSE5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Njoy Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96869
Location: Spring Hill, FL
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, 4DR, LX Ford Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 Njoy Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
I hear ya brotha. Before I bought my focus and heard a ticking noise. I thought it could be a problem, but my dad (whose knowledge I usually defer to) assured me it was nothing. Less than a year later, I found it has shot valves and that the lifters are bad.

At least you aren't out $1800 for a new engine + install.
True but I myself have to pay for it which most people do any for them selves anyway but with 20 hours a week at my job and school its hard to just pull 800 out of my ass... (Excuse my lang) I was planning on getting my after market speakers, sub, seat covers, and tint done. Just a road block that I'd rather nto deal with. Doesn't help that I sit here and convinced my dad that this car was amazing, which is it... besides the defect >.< Now I feel like a idiot for not looking into the car's engine... I didn't even look under the hood before I bought it fully.
Njoy Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Njoy Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96869
Location: Spring Hill, FL
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, 4DR, LX Ford Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 Njoy Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
A 2002 vehicle still has a factory warranty?
No no, I could only wish... The guy I bought it from had a 6 month warranty on the rebuilt engine from the company he got it from so when I got it there was just a little over 3 months left.
Njoy Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #8
BlueFocusSE5
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97166
Location: Upstate, NY
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

Posts: 294
FF Reputation: 1 BlueFocusSE5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Focus View Post
No no, I could only wish... The guy I bought it from had a 6 month warranty on the rebuilt engine from the company he got it from so when I got it there was just a little over 3 months left.
So even after the repair is made, this engine still drops the valve seats?

This doesn't sound encouraging.
BlueFocusSE5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Njoy Focus
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96869
Location: Spring Hill, FL
What I Drive: 2002, Silver, 4DR, LX Ford Focus

Posts: 19
FF Reputation: 1 Njoy Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFocusSE5 View Post
So even after the repair is made, this engine still drops the valve seats?

This doesn't sound encouraging.
You can rebuild the engine over and over and over, if you don't replace it with the proper cylinder heads (the after market ones) it will continue to have the issue. Its the original parts that have the defect or at least that's what I got out of doing my research and asking questions and what not.
Njoy Focus is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #10
matmatician
Cars&Corgis
 
matmatician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fan#: 81361
Location: Mill Creek, WA
What I Drive: A ONE COLOR FOCUS, Ducatis

Posts: 4,362
FF Reputation: 4 matmatician Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I can relate man... I do have a decent full time job, but that's about it. Sucks being a baller on a budget, so to speak... :/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmatician View Post
What spare tire? The one that adds weight? Psh. Its wherever my A/C is.
ROTM June '13, PNW Crew #42, SR #245, Rally Rev #02
matmatician is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.