Way to make fog lights come on auto with headlights? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Fan#: 87369
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport - 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 10 Shade-010 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Just hit the button when you want them on.... lemme guess the car is an Auto also lmao lol JK
http://www.rebeldevil.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #12
Richs10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95786
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Richs10 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes. Automatic headlights. Sometimes I don't even realize the headlights have come on until it get pretty dark.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #13
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
I also wish the fogs could be set to come on with the headlights. I always forget to turn them on at night. I drive on rural roads a lot, so the more light, the better. My MINI Cooper was the same. You had to manually turn them on each time you started the car.
Mini is also a world/euro car. Have you tried your high beams on rural roads? I don't understand how illuminating the first 6 feet in front of the car brighter helps at all when driving at 80 ft/second. It just adds more glare to oncoming drivers, reducing safety.

Fog lights are supposed to be brighter to oncoming drivers than your lowbeams... which is why by default, they're always off. So if you want them on, turn them on. Personally, I'm glad for all the cars that by default turn off the fog lights and high beams every time.

Much more irritating is rear fog lights... it's basically like staring at brake lights the whole time. These cars have them, but not the switches. You can see the second filament in the taillight (lower) bulbs.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
alfack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91684
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium sedan

FF Reputation: 1 alfack Good Standing Member
You have it all wrong. Foglights are not supposed to be brighter to oncoming drivers than low beams. They are supposed to illuminate the gap between the front of your car and where your low beams start. They are also supposed to illuminate the sides of the roads. If you lived in an area with a large deer population and drive at night, you would understand.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 AM   #15
Altis
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfack View Post
You have it all wrong. Foglights are not supposed to be brighter to oncoming drivers than low beams. They are supposed to illuminate the gap between the front of your car and where your low beams start. They are also supposed to illuminate the sides of the roads. If you lived in an area with a large deer population and drive at night, you would understand.
What's the point in lighting up the first few feet of the road? You're going way too fast to be able to do anything about those first few feet. On many cars with fog lights, you can't actually tell whether or not they're on from inside the car.

Use your high beams in the country to see in the ditch. It's far more effective, and what's more is it lights up the ditch not just right beside the car. How does it help you to see in the ditch right next to you? If you're covering 80 feet per second, you really don't need that much light in the ditch for the first 20 feet... you won't be able to do a thing about a deer in 1/4 of a second. All you're doing is adding glare to oncoming drivers, so they can have reduced visibility (especially in the dark areas, such as the ditches).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfack View Post
If you lived in an area with a large deer population and drive at night, you would understand.
I do happen to live in a place completely littered with deer. Perhaps if you live in a place with thick, heavy fog, you'd understand what fog lights are for and why they're named as such.

There's also rear fog lights. Front and rear fog lights serve the purpose of making your car more visible during thick fog. That's why they typically appear brighter to oncoming traffic than your low beams (although some are strictly cosmetic and serve no purpose whatsoever). In some areas, you will get a ticket for using them (particularly the rears) for no reason (which is part of why they are always off by default). They also may help in a heavy rain or snow storm.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #16
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

I wish I had the rears on mine, i have to get the light panels and switch from a Euro Focus, as the US doesn't put them on the Focus ( I dont see why not, we have just as bad of fog as any other country) I think its total HorseCRAP. As for the fronts, a lot will use them to be more visible, i turn them on myself when driving at night or early morning, so with my DRL on and all my lights it makes the car very visible
Old 04-04-2012, 01:33 AM   #17
Altis
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang74shelby View Post
I wish I had the rears on mine, i have to get the light panels and switch from a Euro Focus, as the US doesn't put them on the Focus ( I dont see why not, we have just as bad of fog as any other country) I think its total HorseCRAP. As for the fronts, a lot will use them to be more visible, i turn them on myself when driving at night or early morning, so with my DRL on and all my lights it makes the car very visible
I suspect that the switch is all you need, since the tail light bulbs themselves are properly dual filament. Just don't drive with them on for no reason just to be "very visible", cause they are quite bright to stare at for those who are behind you.

In fact, I think part of why NA doesn't get rear fogs is because they know people will just use them all the time for no reason, making it less safe. Kind of like how our rear headrests can't tuck anymore because then nobody used them and got hurt, but in EU, they still get the nice headrests.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #18
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
I suspect that the switch is all you need, since the tail light bulbs themselves are properly dual filament. Just don't drive with them on for no reason just to be "very visible", cause they are quite bright to stare at for those who are behind you.

In fact, I think part of why NA doesn't get rear fogs is because they know people will just use them all the time for no reason, making it less safe. Kind of like how our rear headrests can't tuck anymore because then nobody used them and got hurt, but in EU, they still get the nice headrests.
On the Sedan it is a different assembly on the trunk lid, it houses not just the back up lights, but also a light for the rear fog (on for each side). I would also need the harness for the trunk lid and the switch (dual fog light "headlight" switch.)
Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #19
Shade-010
Sonic Crew # 010

And yes I agree a lot of drivers here in the US don't have a clue how to use them correctly. I have seen sooooooo many VW, Audi, Mercedes etc. with them on all the time. Bust since they don't even stop drivers missing an entire headlight assembly for an unsafe vehicle, why would them stop the ones running the rear fogs all the time.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #20
alfack
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91684
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium sedan

FF Reputation: 1 alfack Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
What's the point in lighting up the first few feet of the road? You're going way too fast to be able to do anything about those first few feet. On many cars with fog lights, you can't actually tell whether or not they're on from inside the car.
Really, a few feet? Any additional reaction time is a bonus.

Quote:
Use your high beams in the country to see in the ditch. It's far more effective, and what's more is it lights up the ditch not just right beside the car. How does it help you to see in the ditch right next to you? If you're covering 80 feet per second, you really don't need that much light in the ditch for the first 20 feet... you won't be able to do a thing about a deer in 1/4 of a second. All you're doing is adding glare to oncoming drivers, so they can have reduced visibility (especially in the dark areas, such as the ditches).
Using your high beams in the fog is what is useless. You've never seen the reflection of critter eyes on the side of the road? If your foglights are aimed properly, you are not adding any additional glare to oncoming drivers.

Quote:
I do happen to live in a place completely littered with deer. Perhaps if you live in a place with thick, heavy fog, you'd understand what fog lights are for and why they're named as such.
I live in a place with heavy fog and know exactly what they are for; lighting up more of the road. How can more light on the road be bad in any situation?

Bookmarks & Social Networks