Painting and Upgrading my ZX3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
zandress
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114907
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zandress Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Painting and Upgrading my ZX3

I have a 2002 Navy Blue ZX3, I'm in love with my car. Recently I invested in PlastiDip and have been doing minor dips to my ZX3. Mainly trim, handles, mirrors, and gas door. They're all matte black and I plan on doing the roof once I touch up the bumper and hood. Also, I have some taillight tint paint that I'm thinking about using but I'm not sure how it'll show on the taillights.
Performance wise, I want to purchase a sport suspension system, whole exhaust system, air intake, and later on a turbo.
Body kit wise I'm buying a low profile rear bumper. The stock one comes out too much. I like the look of the Focus SE bumper.
I've already had to replace one of my battery terminals because of ridiculous corrosion from the previous owners lack of maintenance. I'll post a picture showing how bad it was.

Any advice on upgrading parts?

Some pictures of the dips I've done so far. Nothing too impressive.
Dipped the rims matte black, still thinking about glossing them. I also gave up on getting the over spray off the tires, next time I clean my car I'm going to scrub the over spray off.

Dipped the door handles and gas door

Did a section near the tire matte black to see how it looked and I'm still on the fence about it.

Old battery terminal and the replaced terminal.

When I do the roof I'll post a picture. Tell me what you think and anything I should change or do!

Update (5/30/13)
Hooked my subs and amp up! Also painted my roof matte black, with plastidip yes.

Last edited by zandress; 05-30-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
Dung1sm
Atx PZEV FTW!

Fan#: 52323
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX4

FF Reputation: 4 Dung1sm Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
keep us updated, dont go too crazy with it!
So Cal Crew#43
Sedan Revolution #130

Moderator for:
South West Fanatics
Ford Focus & General Car Chat
Ford Focus Build Showroom
Old 05-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
zandress
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung1sm View Post
keep us updated, dont go too crazy with it!
I'll try not to! I'm really into making the exterior and interior looking awesome. I want to paint some of the interior panels and what not. If anything looks dumb I can just easily peel it off - Thank God for Plasti Dip!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
homelessmonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98498
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 homelessmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Here's what the tail tint looks like. Its only one coat, i would do 2 max more then that the light doesn't shine threw nicely.

after

Performance wise id go svt header plus ether a magnaflow or borla cat back exhaust and tune. suspension, cai. turbo when you got real money lol.
hes a link to my svt header swap
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...11#post4724211

DO THE INTERIOR!
It looks good :P
[IMG][/IMG]

my rims

keep up the good work :P
Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #5
zandress
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessmonkey View Post
Here's what the tail tint looks like. Its only one coat, i would do 2 max more then that the light doesn't shine threw nicely.

after

Performance wise id go svt header plus ether a magnaflow or borla cat back exhaust and tune. suspension, cai. turbo when you got real money lol.
hes a link to my svt header swap
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...11#post4724211

DO THE INTERIOR!
It looks good :P
[IMG][/IMG]

my rims

keep up the good work :P
I have the VHT Nite-Shades taillight tint. I'll probably do one coat first and see how it looks then do a second coat if I think it should be darker. It says one coat is fine but, I'll be the judge of that. I also have some clear coat to make it shine and I'll buff it if I need to.

I'm thinking of doing matte red on the inside, maybe mixing it with black a little to make it have more of a darker side to it.

Performance part wise, I'll probabl save the turbo and SVT swap for last seeing as the turbo is a lot of money and the SVT swap I'll need quite a few parts.

Thanks a lot! I read through the SVT swap though, nice job on it. It'll help me get through it when I get around to it!
Old 05-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #6
pyroinsa
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 42025
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 58 pyroinsa Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandress View Post
I have the VHT Nite-Shades taillight tint. I'll probably do one coat first and see how it looks then do a second coat if I think it should be darker. It says one coat is fine but, I'll be the judge of that. I also have some clear coat to make it shine and I'll buff it if I need to.

I'm thinking of doing matte red on the inside, maybe mixing it with black a little to make it have more of a darker side to it.

Performance part wise, I'll probabl save the turbo and SVT swap for last seeing as the turbo is a lot of money and the SVT swap I'll need quite a few parts.

Thanks a lot! I read through the SVT swap though, nice job on it. It'll help me get through it when I get around to it!
to FF

TBH, I think you need to ease off of the dip Also, if you are going to turbo your car, then it will be pointless to get an SVT header. Turbos require a turbo header, not an SVT header.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #7
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
the blue looks hot. I didt he same with my zx3 but yellow
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 2 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd look at the SVT suspension upgrade. It's a little under $300 for everything (springs/struts/sways). Then I'd probably do intake/header and just use basic ebay parts. A header is usually like $150 and an intake is $50 or less. Some may insist on name brand parts for intake and the header, but these parts have such a low level of complexity and the motor is so low output anyway, that even some cheap parts should be sufficient.

I'd probably look for the SVT style headlights too. The black housings look nice.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
homelessmonkey
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 98498
What I Drive: 2003 black zx3

FF Reputation: 2 homelessmonkey Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroinsa View Post
Also, if you are going to turbo your car, then it will be pointless to get an SVT header. Turbos require a turbo header, not an SVT header.
Was gonna say that. Id start saving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXthrizzle05 View Post
the blue looks hot. I didt he same with my zx3 but yellow
Thanks I am thinking of getting blue led floor lights just to had more blue :P.Yellow focus's look sweet too but my gf wouldn't approve of it. Gotta keep the women happy.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #10
zandress
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Dipped my roof matte black. I think it looks really good but I am going to peel it and redo it once I get a sprayer. You can see the spray lines too much for my liking but it'll do until I get my hands on one.

Bookmarks & Social Networks