Boost all the things. - Page 8 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #71
silverstarnc
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108151
What I Drive: 2012,Grey,Focus

FF Reputation: 1 silverstarnc Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
The MTX-75 has been rated anywhere from the low to the mid 200's depending on exact flavor, I believe that is what is in the mk3 with a manual. That being said word on the street is that it can handle 300fp reliably, but one mans reliably and another is just the length of time between tows.

You could turbo the focus without a tune, it would just require some trial and error and low boost levels, but even 5 lbs of boost can add 30 or more rwhp. Coupled with opening up the airflow you could get into the low 200 hp range.

With the lightweight cast pistons it could be expensive trial and error of course. With the high compression and weak internals, I doubt even a tune is going to reliably add more than 10 lbs of boost to a stock motor, but someone could surprise me.

The questions are why would you when the ST is available? It has the internals, stronger tranny and the tune already.
St is looking to be out of my price range.
and 200 hp sounds good for me. would it take larger injectors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #72
silverstarnc
Focus Enthusiast

The header for the MK3 is the same as the OBX for older cars from what im told. OBX sells turbo headers for MK2s
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #73
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstarnc View Post
200 hp is almost within reach just with an intake/ header/ exhaust system. Because of the direct injection you probably would need to crank up the high pressure fuel pump rather than replace the injectors.

A tune would be the safest thing when trying to modify the engine that far, but no one is tuning the naturally aspirated MK3, just the ST. The ST was built with a lower compression ratio at 9.3:1 vs 12:1 for the naturally aspirated Duratec 2.0 L GDI. The higher compression ratio is why the ST only gains 93 hp over the base engine as it also has to overcome the lowered compression.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM   #74
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
Quote:
If you can't afford the ST you likely can't afford to turbo a stock focus.

However...

A quick look at the parts list seems to indicate the ST is using ford exploder injectors instead of the standard ones in the focus, if I am reading it right.

turbos aren't easy, when I had a ka24e powered nissan truck I followed a guy who turbo'd his, and it took him a year of hard work to do it from nothing, and this engine has very little knowledge base built up unlike that venerable nissan 2.4 liter. If you want a performance car on a budget you are better off starting with something easier, or buying it out of the box.

Now, we have one advantage in that the ST has shown us how to do the plumbing, but to buy ST turbo and plumbing new you are looking at probably 3 grand, and then you still need a way to hack the injector squirt time and timing advance over the protestations of the computer.

My advice is to dream about a turbo and spend your money on things that will make you happy instead.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #75
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
It's probably a lot easier (and most likely even quicker) to wait for a used ST to pop up.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #76
silverstarnc
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
200 hp is almost within reach just with an intake/ header/ exhaust system. Because of the direct injection you probably would need to crank up the high pressure fuel pump rather than replace the injectors.

A tune would be the safest thing when trying to modify the engine that far, but no one is tuning the naturally aspirated MK3, just the ST. The ST was built with a lower compression ratio at 9.3:1 vs 12:1 for the naturally aspirated Duratec 2.0 L GDI. The higher compression ratio is why the ST only gains 93 hp over the base engine as it also has to overcome the lowered compression.
I have an exhaust and intake and 200 HP in not with in reach.I falls about 20+ hp short. I may be just dreaming. It seams the parts are there to do it. Just the programing is all the hold up.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #77
silverstarnc
Focus Enthusiast

I have found 2 used ST but still to high for me to see paying that for them.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #78
Jim_J
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 109775
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE with a shudder trans

FF Reputation: 1 Jim_J Good Standing Member
The sad thing is, until someone actually tries it you just don't know how much headroom you have. You might be able to put 5 lbs of boost with no mods no tune with the maf on the inlet and a good intercooler, or it could blow your engine. If you could find good injector and fuel pump volume/pressure specs you might be able to do the math and get an idea, then hope there is enough headroom in the ECU fuel air curves as well.

But then you would have 5 and want 8, so you add a nozzle to the intake (and our intakes are normally dry so what's that going to do) or do some hck to the injectors or pump, then you want 10.

If you have the time, money and spare parts, but you don't.

If I had the time and money I would buy an ST and put regular SE body and rims on it, make a sleeper.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #79
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_J View Post
The sad thing is, until someone actually tries it you just don't know how much headroom you have. You might be able to put 5 lbs of boost with no mods no tune with the maf on the inlet and a good intercooler, or it could blow your engine. If you could find good injector and fuel pump volume/pressure specs you might be able to do the math and get an idea, then hope there is enough headroom in the ECU fuel air curves as well.

But then you would have 5 and want 8, so you add a nozzle to the intake (and our intakes are normally dry so what's that going to do) or do some hck to the injectors or pump, then you want 10.

If you have the time, money and spare parts, but you don't.

If I had the time and money I would buy an ST and put regular SE body and rims on it, make a sleeper.
Its easier to just swap the front bumper cover and parts as the whole unibody is identical in appearance minus the minor details such as the side skirts and the rear valence, as well as the larger components like the front bumper cover.

The Hood, doors, and sheet metal is identical between models.

The swap has already been done in reverse with someone repairing their damaged SE with the front end (bumper cover and internal support parts) with those from the ST.

Although the turbocharger is integrated into the exhaust manifold on the ST.

Can we try and stay on the topic of turbocharging a n/a MK3?

Thanks.

Last edited by suss6052; 03-01-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #80
StingRay
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67421
What I Drive: 2013 Ingot Silver ST

FF Reputation: 4 StingRay Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Although the turbocharger is integrated into the exhaust manifold on the ST.
And the manifold is integrated into the head. So technically if you wanted to put an ST turbo on an N/A focus as mentioned above, you would need a head, turbofold, and all related components. You'd be better off trying with an older duratec manifold haha

Bookmarks & Social Networks