2001 Ford Focus SE (SOHC) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjohnson View Post
UPDATE: Well, valve seat three dropped at 108,000. Funny that I had stopped at my local Ford to order a motor mount, and the seat dropped right in the Stealership parking lot! Hoping to have a buddy pull a Lug Nut and bring her back from the dead...
Murphy's Law

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #12
JJMcKinney
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 108097
What I Drive: 2003 White SE

FF Reputation: 1 JJMcKinney Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So far I have a 2003 SE 2.0 SOHC and the issue i'm having is the first issue I've had with this car. I just love it to death! Once I get her up and running again, I will be even happier with her lol
Old 02-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #13
billjohnson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96819
What I Drive: 2001 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 billjohnson Good Standing Member
Quote:
UPDATE: Well, valve seat three dropped at 108,000. Funny that I had stopped at my local Ford to order a motor mount, and the seat dropped right in the Stealership parking lot! Hoping to have a buddy pull a Lug Nut and bring her back from the dead...
UPDATE: Well, she's back on the road!!! Ended up rebuilding the head, new timing belt, two new motor mounts, new water pump, new IAC valve, new pcv valve and hose, and new side mirror. Purring like a kitten. [total cost: $1200]

Now thinking about changing the transmission fluid/filter. It hasn't been done before and car has about 110,000 miles. Anyone think this would be a mistake?? Really hate to screw up the tranny after just spening so much $$$ to get her going again...
Old 03-01-2013, 04:51 AM   #14
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
I don't. However I will tell you this. Many times automatics die around that age. And it is not uncommon for it to happen after a fluid change. Not because the fluid change caused it, but because the tranny was getting close to the end of it's life anyway.

I see many people complaining "I just did a fluid change and 10,000 miles later it died" not realizing that if they hadn't done a fluid change it would have died 2,000 miles later.

At this point your basically committed to getting the second 100K out of it so you should be understanding that the engine will definitely outlast the transmission no matter what magic incantations you do. Doing the fluid change will add some life to the tranny but there is no way to know how much.

as the man said, ya pays ya money and ya takes ya chance.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
UPDATE: Well, she's back on the road!!! Ended up rebuilding the head, new timing belt, two new motor mounts, new water pump, new IAC valve, new pcv valve and hose, and new side mirror. Purring like a kitten. [total cost: $1200]

Now thinking about changing the transmission fluid/filter. It hasn't been done before and car has about 110,000 miles. Anyone think this would be a mistake?? Really hate to screw up the tranny after just spening so much $$$ to get her going again...
My rule of thumb ; if you like what YOU have in that vehicle......keep it and be ready to keep the repair juice going. She's paid for, so if it breaks.......just fix it until the day comes when you won't. As said earlier though......for the $1200.00 bucks you may have done a zetec swap......and believe me and everyone else.......she would really be a 'keeper sleeper'. But, you have just breathed new life into a car that some others wouldn't. With that, I say, change the tranny fluid with confidence. And when the tranny needs cpr.... get another one and put it in. Used cars always reach the point of part replacement....rebuilds and such. I have a 04 sedan (zetec) and I'm investing in a complete front and rear suspension rebuild just because I want to put new rims / tires on.........these cost more than what I gave for the car used.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 AM   #16
tmittelstaedt
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108093
What I Drive: 2001 Red Focus SE Street Edition

FF Reputation: 0 tmittelstaedt Newbie
since the seat dropped when the engine was at rest, I can see why he chose to do it - there was probably very minimal to no damage to cylinder walls, no fragmentation of the seat, etc. - basically just a head job and off you go. Not like some of these where the engine is running at 5K rpm and the seat drops - instant sandpaper to the cylinders....
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 AM   #17
FocusRus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 109798
What I Drive: 2004 Silver Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 3 FocusRus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
since the seat dropped when the engine was at rest, I can see why he chose to do it - there was probably very minimal to no damage to cylinder walls, no fragmentation of the seat, etc. - basically just a head job and off you go. Not like some of these where the engine is running at 5K rpm and the seat drops - instant sandpaper to the cylinders....
Man, its too earli in tha mornin.......but you are right......oh, and what you said...lol
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #18
billjohnson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96819
What I Drive: 2001 Blue SE

FF Reputation: 1 billjohnson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmittelstaedt View Post
Yes, absolutely correct. And if I hadn't bought the motor mounts and the pcv hose from the dealership, my costs would have been even lower. Either way, she's running great, and I'm hoping for another 100k!!

Last edited by billjohnson; 03-02-2013 at 06:06 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks