whitish smoke from exhaust, no coolant in oil - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
SVTFOOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 39017
What I Drive: TurboL'd 03 SVT FOCUS ZX5

FF Reputation: 4 SVTFOOCUS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
whitish smoke from exhaust, no coolant in oil

ok, so the (turbo'd) svt started smoking a while back. its got 80,000 miles on it so figured I have some work done to it. had the valve seals replaced and a general overall check of the head done. pulled all the pistons out, checked the rings, those were good. put everything back together, correctly, and it started right up, with zero fault lights. but the thing still smokes, runs good, fells like a little better actually. I do need to get the tune updated again since I put the compression back to factory. the turbo didn't look like it was leaking into the exhaust when I took it off and hardly any play in the shaft. I did rebuild it a while back sooooooo who knows how I did with that, looked good tho. and like I said, the oil is clean, not milky. EDIT... forgot to say that is doesn't start smoking right off... maybe about a minute after running.

where else to look/check for the problem? thanks

2003 SONIC BLUE SVT ZX5 #0258...
Turbo Charged, RC injectors, Stage 4 Clutch, 3" Exhaust from DP back, throttle body, Torsen Differential, A/F & Boost gauges in dash, Diablo Tune, J&S Safeguard, Custom powder-coated wheels

Last edited by SVTFOOCUS; 03-28-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96835
What I Drive: 2003 dark shadow grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 17 elsolo Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Look at your spark plugs
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Are you losing coolant? White smoke is an indicator of an internal coolant leak into a combustion chamber.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
SVTFOOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

plugs are newer, how would that cause smoke?

I'll look at the level of coolant in the AM. thanks for the suggestions
Turbo Charged, RC injectors, Stage 4 Clutch, 3" Exhaust from DP back, throttle body, Torsen Differential, A/F & Boost gauges in dash, Diablo Tune, J&S Safeguard, Custom powder-coated wheels
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

The plugs aren't causing the problem, they let you see what's happening in the combustion chamber and tell you what the problem is.

It will let you know if you are burning oil, have a coolant leak into the combustion chamber, cylinder to cylinder variations in fuel, detonation, etc.

In your case, you'll know if you are burning oil or water, and which hole it's happening in.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #6
Heli006
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89843
What I Drive: 2000 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 Heli006 Good Standing Member
head gasket

head gasket is bypassing coolant from a coolant passageway into the combustion chamber. always a tell-tale sign when you get white smoke from exhaust. Not too bad a job to replace on a focus but requires proper removal and reinstallation procedures and torquing.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
SVTFOOCUS
Focus Enthusiast

yeah, I figured coolant was getting in there somehow. Just sucks, cause its a new gasket and everything was torqued to specs. Dont feel like taking the head off again!!

I'll pull the plugs after work today, initially when I took them out to have everything worked on they were all dry.

Will also try to get a video just for referance and figure out how to post it on here.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
elsolo
Focus Fanatic

It's about the color, deposits, and smell on the plugs, don't expect them to be wet.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #9
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
If you are running proper percentage of antifreeze then you should be able to smell the sweet smell of burning antifreeze in the vapor. You may even find a green deposit from the dye on the plug of offending cylinder.

If coolant leak, eventually the steam generated will pit the cylinder wall and destroy the motor. Or enough will leak at shutdown to make hydrolock and broken rod then.

Could be pure oil, plug will be black and possibly wet then.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Still want to know if your car is going through coolant. Looking at a spark plug is never a good indicator of much of anything. It can point you in a vague direction but I would absolutely never base a diagnosis off of a plug.

You said you just replaced the head gasket. Did you have the head resurfaced while it was off? And how did you clean the gasket material off the block?

If you are not losing coolant I would dismiss the possibility of a head gasket leak entirely. Especially if its not overheating.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->