Steeda CAI Now Available - Page 28 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace



Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #271
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04
 
darkangelism's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85425
Location: oklahoma city, OK
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

Posts: 7,187
FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
A tune would bring these engines to 180+rwhp
*cough* front wheel drive *cough* lol, but there are no places with dyno's near you? It would be nice to see your gains, I will be doing yours but It will be after a lot of other things are done so it will be hard to see what just yours brings.
darkangelism is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #272
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89667
Location: Middle, GA
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

Posts: 253
FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just did my Steeda CAI install last night. It is loud when you gun it, and when you give it any more throttle than 1/4 between 2.5k and 4k RPMs, but when you are just cruising it is no louder than the stock.

Installation was honestly a PITA, still rather quick, but this thing does not like to go in easy and is massive for the space you are trying to squeeze it into. I also dont like the fact that you just loosely fit a plug into one of the factory ram air outlets to force it all to go into the one that is being used, I would have liked to have seen it use both outlets that the factory box does.

It comes in as many pieces as humanely possible, and the moldings on it is longer than you need and will require trimming. Even with trimming, it doesn't fit right and the kit should have really come with some contact cement to make it work right...better yet, the moldings should have been put on at Steeda instead of just cut off a bulk reel and haphazardly thrown in the box.

So am I happy...honestly the answer is no. When its loud, it way too loud for daily driving and the install was not smooth at all. It even led me to wonder if their was a mid-year engine compartment revision that I did not know about because the housing just did not seem to fit. The random rectangle cutout on the side doesn't match up to anything in the engine compartment and just seems like a CAD mistake.

I am highly suspect of the TQ numbers at 3K RPMs. The only time I noticed an increase in performance was right after the shift into second with WOT.

I was really pumped to drop a good amount of cash and do a full Steeda Focus once more parts started coming from them, including their exhaust which is in the works, but after this I really need to think that over and see if I want to jump ship to FSWerks.
Craig9080 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #273
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93741
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

Posts: 387
FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
Just did my Steeda CAI install last night. It is loud when you gun it, and when you give it any more throttle than 1/4 between 2.5k and 4k RPMs, but when you are just cruising it is no louder than the stock.

Installation was honestly a PITA, still rather quick, but this thing does not like to go in easy and is massive for the space you are trying to squeeze it into. I also dont like the fact that you just loosely fit a plug into one of the factory ram air outlets to force it all to go into the one that is being used, I would have liked to have seen it use both outlets that the factory box does.

It comes in as many pieces as humanely possible, and the moldings on it is longer than you need and will require trimming. Even with trimming, it doesn't fit right and the kit should have really come with some contact cement to make it work right...better yet, the moldings should have been put on at Steeda instead of just cut off a bulk reel and haphazardly thrown in the box.

So am I happy...honestly the answer is no. When its loud, it way too loud for daily driving and the install was not smooth at all. It even led me to wonder if their was a mid-year engine compartment revision that I did not know about because the housing just did not seem to fit. The random rectangle cutout on the side doesn't match up to anything in the engine compartment and just seems like a CAD mistake.

I am highly suspect of the TQ numbers at 3K RPMs. The only time I noticed an increase in performance was right after the shift into second with WOT.

I was really pumped to drop a good amount of cash and do a full Steeda Focus once more parts started coming from them, including their exhaust which is in the works, but after this I really need to think that over and see if I want to jump ship to FSWerks.
Well that's two people who said it was loud and I think you both got the heat shield. Wonder if it sounds different without the HS installed. Is it louder than these videos.



__________________
White Platinum Tricoat Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Titanium
Handling Package Nitto Motivo's
Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Brabs_Weather is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #274
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89667
Location: Middle, GA
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

Posts: 253
FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
When its in that area where the throttle is open enough, its a little louder than the second video...IN THE CAR.

But then again, if you Eco-driving, you probably will only hear it creep to audible near the shift points.
Craig9080 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #275
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93486
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

Posts: 381
FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Eco driving and investing in a CAI/RAI/SAI do not go together...if MPG/Eco driving is the goal don't waste your money.
greg hazlett is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #276
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,658
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
*cough* front wheel drive *cough* lol, but there are no places with dyno's near you? It would be nice to see your gains, I will be doing yours but It will be after a lot of other things are done so it will be hard to see what just yours brings.
LOL! I am used to the Mustang. My bad... FWHP!
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #277
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93486
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

Posts: 381
FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
Just did my Steeda CAI install last night. It is loud when you gun it, and when you give it any more throttle than 1/4 between 2.5k and 4k RPMs, but when you are just cruising it is no louder than the stock.

Installation was honestly a PITA, still rather quick, but this thing does not like to go in easy and is massive for the space you are trying to squeeze it into. I also dont like the fact that you just loosely fit a plug into one of the factory ram air outlets to force it all to go into the one that is being used, I would have liked to have seen it use both outlets that the factory box does.

It comes in as many pieces as humanely possible, and the moldings on it is longer than you need and will require trimming. Even with trimming, it doesn't fit right and the kit should have really come with some contact cement to make it work right...better yet, the moldings should have been put on at Steeda instead of just cut off a bulk reel and haphazardly thrown in the box.

So am I happy...honestly the answer is no. When its loud, it way too loud for daily driving and the install was not smooth at all. It even led me to wonder if their was a mid-year engine compartment revision that I did not know about because the housing just did not seem to fit. The random rectangle cutout on the side doesn't match up to anything in the engine compartment and just seems like a CAD mistake.

I am highly suspect of the TQ numbers at 3K RPMs. The only time I noticed an increase in performance was right after the shift into second with WOT.

I was really pumped to drop a good amount of cash and do a full Steeda Focus once more parts started coming from them, including their exhaust which is in the works, but after this I really need to think that over and see if I want to jump ship to FSWerks.
Thanks for the honest and unbiased feedback...if you decide to try the FSwerks at least you can give us the pro's/con/s of each of them.
greg hazlett is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #278
TORQUERULES
The Professor
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1083
Location: Ripley, WV
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

Posts: 2,658
FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
When its in that area where the throttle is open enough, its a little louder than the second video...IN THE CAR.

But then again, if you Eco-driving, you probably will only hear it creep to audible near the shift points.
It is the part throttle noise under load that kills the open element on this engine for me. It just sounds terrible. Like a sick cow. I don't mind WOT noise, and at cruise under constant throttle with little or no load most CAIs do not sound much louder than stock.

Heck part throttle noise is okay if it is nice and linear, but the design of this engine's intake manifold and the way it breathes just do not lend themselves to that.

I was hoping that it was just the open filter in the stock box (no lid) that made it sound poopy. But from the way you guys are talking, the Steeda and others sound like that too.
TORQUERULES is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #279
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Fan#: 89667
Location: Middle, GA
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

Posts: 253
FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
Eco driving and investing in a CAI/RAI/SAI do not go together...if MPG/Eco driving is the goal don't waste your money.
When you are just cruising you will not hear it. Additionally, I do not gun my engine off the line 100% of the time. Having the capability does not mean you need to utilize it all the time. I enjoy being efficient most of the time, but like to floor it a couple times a day.
Craig9080 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #280
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93486
Location: Chesapeake, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

Posts: 381
FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I understand that logic.
greg hazlett is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information : Site Map

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.