Steeda CAI Now Available - Page 28 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #271
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
A tune would bring these engines to 180+rwhp
*cough* front wheel drive *cough* lol, but there are no places with dyno's near you? It would be nice to see your gains, I will be doing yours but It will be after a lot of other things are done so it will be hard to see what just yours brings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #272
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89667
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium, Sterling 401A 18"

FF Reputation: 1 Craig9080 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just did my Steeda CAI install last night. It is loud when you gun it, and when you give it any more throttle than 1/4 between 2.5k and 4k RPMs, but when you are just cruising it is no louder than the stock.

Installation was honestly a PITA, still rather quick, but this thing does not like to go in easy and is massive for the space you are trying to squeeze it into. I also dont like the fact that you just loosely fit a plug into one of the factory ram air outlets to force it all to go into the one that is being used, I would have liked to have seen it use both outlets that the factory box does.

It comes in as many pieces as humanely possible, and the moldings on it is longer than you need and will require trimming. Even with trimming, it doesn't fit right and the kit should have really come with some contact cement to make it work right...better yet, the moldings should have been put on at Steeda instead of just cut off a bulk reel and haphazardly thrown in the box.

So am I happy...honestly the answer is no. When its loud, it way too loud for daily driving and the install was not smooth at all. It even led me to wonder if their was a mid-year engine compartment revision that I did not know about because the housing just did not seem to fit. The random rectangle cutout on the side doesn't match up to anything in the engine compartment and just seems like a CAD mistake.

I am highly suspect of the TQ numbers at 3K RPMs. The only time I noticed an increase in performance was right after the shift into second with WOT.

I was really pumped to drop a good amount of cash and do a full Steeda Focus once more parts started coming from them, including their exhaust which is in the works, but after this I really need to think that over and see if I want to jump ship to FSWerks.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #273
Brabs_Weather
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93741
What I Drive: 04 Ex Ltd, 08 Edge Ltd, 12 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Brabs_Weather Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig9080 View Post
Just did my Steeda CAI install last night. It is loud when you gun it, and when you give it any more throttle than 1/4 between 2.5k and 4k RPMs, but when you are just cruising it is no louder than the stock.

Installation was honestly a PITA, still rather quick, but this thing does not like to go in easy and is massive for the space you are trying to squeeze it into. I also dont like the fact that you just loosely fit a plug into one of the factory ram air outlets to force it all to go into the one that is being used, I would have liked to have seen it use both outlets that the factory box does.

It comes in as many pieces as humanely possible, and the moldings on it is longer than you need and will require trimming. Even with trimming, it doesn't fit right and the kit should have really come with some contact cement to make it work right...better yet, the moldings should have been put on at Steeda instead of just cut off a bulk reel and haphazardly thrown in the box.

So am I happy...honestly the answer is no. When its loud, it way too loud for daily driving and the install was not smooth at all. It even led me to wonder if their was a mid-year engine compartment revision that I did not know about because the housing just did not seem to fit. The random rectangle cutout on the side doesn't match up to anything in the engine compartment and just seems like a CAD mistake.

I am highly suspect of the TQ numbers at 3K RPMs. The only time I noticed an increase in performance was right after the shift into second with WOT.

I was really pumped to drop a good amount of cash and do a full Steeda Focus once more parts started coming from them, including their exhaust which is in the works, but after this I really need to think that over and see if I want to jump ship to FSWerks.
Well that's two people who said it was loud and I think you both got the heat shield. Wonder if it sounds different without the HS installed. Is it louder than these videos.

Borla Exhaust with UltraQuiet resonator
K&N X-4870. Steeda RSB
Old 04-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #274
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

When its in that area where the throttle is open enough, its a little louder than the second video...IN THE CAR.

But then again, if you Eco-driving, you probably will only hear it creep to audible near the shift points.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #275
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Eco driving and investing in a CAI/RAI/SAI do not go together...if MPG/Eco driving is the goal don't waste your money.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #276
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
*cough* front wheel drive *cough* lol, but there are no places with dyno's near you? It would be nice to see your gains, I will be doing yours but It will be after a lot of other things are done so it will be hard to see what just yours brings.
LOL! I am used to the Mustang. My bad... FWHP!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #277
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:

Thanks for the honest and unbiased feedback...if you decide to try the FSwerks at least you can give us the pro's/con/s of each of them.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #278
TORQUERULES
The Professor

Fan#: 1083
What I Drive: '13 Mazdaspeed 3; '87 'Stang

FF Reputation: 9 TORQUERULES Good Standing Member
Quote:
When its in that area where the throttle is open enough, its a little louder than the second video...IN THE CAR.

But then again, if you Eco-driving, you probably will only hear it creep to audible near the shift points.
It is the part throttle noise under load that kills the open element on this engine for me. It just sounds terrible. Like a sick cow. I don't mind WOT noise, and at cruise under constant throttle with little or no load most CAIs do not sound much louder than stock.

Heck part throttle noise is okay if it is nice and linear, but the design of this engine's intake manifold and the way it breathes just do not lend themselves to that.

I was hoping that it was just the open filter in the stock box (no lid) that made it sound poopy. But from the way you guys are talking, the Steeda and others sound like that too.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #279
Craig9080
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg hazlett View Post
Eco driving and investing in a CAI/RAI/SAI do not go together...if MPG/Eco driving is the goal don't waste your money.
When you are just cruising you will not hear it. Additionally, I do not gun my engine off the line 100% of the time. Having the capability does not mean you need to utilize it all the time. I enjoy being efficient most of the time, but like to floor it a couple times a day.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #280
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

I understand that logic.

Bookmarks & Social Networks