Overdrive Cancel/Grade Assist - Expected behavior? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
Needlesschatter
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95082
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus S

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 Needlesschatter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Overdrive Cancel/Grade Assist - Expected behavior?

Happy Monday!

While going down a steep hill I decided to try the Grade Assist feature. Prior to enabling it my RPMs were ~ 1000 (and the engine was quiet). However, when I enabled this feature. the engine got much louder and the RPMs jumped to ~3,000 RPMs and I felt I had less control of my focus. This frightened me (because of all the DCT failures/problems posted here), so I quickly disabled grade assist. The RPMs went back to ~ 1,000 and the engine was once again quiet. The manual says nothing about engine noise and increased RPMs. Is this expected behavior? TIA


Needlesschatter is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
suss6052
Focus Addict
 
suss6052's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95752
Location: ..., MI
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Posts: 12,609
Points 9,617, Level 65
Points: 9,617, Level: 65 Points: 9,617, Level: 65 Points: 9,617, Level: 65
Level Up 89% Completed
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%
Forum Activity 32%
Activity: 32% Activity: 32% Activity: 32%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlesschatter View Post
Happy Monday!

While going down a steep hill I decided to try the Grade Assist feature. Prior to enabling it my RPMs were ~ 1000 (and the engine was quiet). However, when I enabled this feature. the engine got much louder and the RPMs jumped to ~3,000 RPMs and I felt I had less control of my focus. This frightened me (because of all the DCT failures/problems posted here), so I quickly disabled grade assist. The RPMs went back to ~ 1,000 and the engine was once again quiet. The manual says nothing about engine noise and increased RPMs. Is this expected behavior? TIA
The engine rpm increased because the car downshifted to a lower gear to allow for greater engine braking to use the engine and transmission to slow the car down rather than relying upon the service brakes. On very long descents you don't want to be riding the brake because that would over heat the pads and rotors (as well as the drums in the back if so equipped), and then you could lose brakes entirely until they cooled back down.

It is fully expected that this would occur, at least if I understand the purpose of hill grade assist as used going down hill rather than up hill. Up hill a lower gear and higher rpm would lead to more torque being produced, and by locking it into a lower gear it prevents the car from shifting up and down repeatedly which is better for the car as its not constantly engaging and disengaging gears if the vehicle speed is too low to sustain the higher gear, but too high to maintain the lower gear comfortably.
suss6052 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
ddm8276
Focus Enthusiast
 
ddm8276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90681
Location: kirksville, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Titanium Hb

Posts: 53
Points 175, Level 3
Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ddm8276 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Might be a silly question, but how to you enable the grade assist? I have noticed that my car has had this feature enabled at some point and I really enjoyed it. I think somehow it has been disengaged because the same hill that triggered the first few times has not triggered it lately.

I had this with my old car (2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD) with the CVT transmission.
ddm8276 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Needlesschatter
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95082
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus S

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 Needlesschatter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm8276 View Post
Might be a silly question, but how to you enable the grade assist? I have noticed that my car has had this feature enabled at some point and I really enjoyed it. I think somehow it has been disengaged because the same hill that triggered the first few times has not triggered it lately.

I had this with my old car (2006 Nissan Murano SL AWD) with the CVT transmission.
On my S, it's a toggle switch on the transmission knob. - HTH
Needlesschatter is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
Needlesschatter
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95082
Location: San Diego, CA
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Ford Focus S

Posts: 54
FF Reputation: 1 Needlesschatter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
The engine rpm increased because the car downshifted to a lower gear to allow for greater engine braking to use the engine and transmission to slow the car down rather than relying upon the service brakes. On very long descents you don't want to be riding the brake because that would over heat the pads and rotors (as well as the drums in the back if so equipped), and then you could lose brakes entirely until they cooled back down.

It is fully expected that this would occur, at least if I understand the purpose of hill grade assist as used going down hill rather than up hill. Up hill a lower gear and higher rpm would lead to more torque being produced, and by locking it into a lower gear it prevents the car from shifting up and down repeatedly which is better for the car as its not constantly engaging and disengaging gears if the vehicle speed is too low to sustain the higher gear, but too high to maintain the lower gear comfortably.


Thanks you very much suss6052
Needlesschatter is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
ddm8276
Focus Enthusiast
 
ddm8276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90681
Location: kirksville, MO
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Titanium Hb

Posts: 53
Points 175, Level 3
Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3 Points: 175, Level: 3
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 ddm8276 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needlesschatter View Post
On my S, it's a toggle switch on the transmission knob. - HTH
Ah, I have a titanium, so I do not know of such a switch. Maybe I have to search in the settings.

Appreciate the quick response though!

D
ddm8276 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #7
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90592
Location: Concord, CA
What I Drive: 2012 titanium 5door

Posts: 60
Points 440, Level 8
Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cardoc1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Posted via FF Mobile
cardoc1 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
cardoc1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90592
Location: Concord, CA
What I Drive: 2012 titanium 5door

Posts: 60
Points 440, Level 8
Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8 Points: 440, Level: 8
Level Up 80% Completed
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cardoc1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[i]Posted via FF Just shift down to sport mode
cardoc1 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
jcornwall
Focus Enthusiast
 
jcornwall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88283
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti YB Hatch

Posts: 143
FF Reputation: 1 jcornwall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
What were you hoping the feature would do?

To stop accelerating down a hill you either need to brake or drop to a lower gear. Grade assist does the latter. Unless you're starting from a low speed then that shift will leave the engine revving higher.
jcornwall is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
fordnut02
Focus Enthusiast
 
fordnut02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 96119
Location: Florence, KY
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan

Posts: 209
FF Reputation: 1 fordnut02 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Do the 6 spd autos have this function to turn the overdrive off and on , like most Fords ?

all I have is the + and - on the shifter , for sport mode.

Thanks
__________________
2012 Focus SE Sedan Yellow Blaze / 2003 Mustang Mach 1 / 1997 Explorer 5.0 AWD
www.sandylandacres.com
www.gandbautoservice.com
fordnut02 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.