Adding rear swaybar to Focus that had none - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #1
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Adding rear swaybar to Focus that had none

Can anyone tell me whether my 07 Focus S that was manufactured without a rear swaybar is swaybar "ready"? By this, I mean does it have predrilled holes for the pivot bushing brackets and end links?

Ford has historically neglected to drill holes for swaybar brackets and end links on cars like Mustang etc that came without rear swaybars, so I'm wary to their cost-cutting behaviors. Drilling holes in the right spot can be a pita when you have no template.

any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 20 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
It does not have any mounts for the rear sway bar. I was in the same boat and went with Steeda's kit to fix that. It's not perfect and you'll hear suggestions to get it weld permanently in place but it does the trick and is a good mod to do. Better if you already have upgraded springs/shocks over stock.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
It does not have any mounts for the rear sway bar. I was in the same boat and went with Steeda's kit to fix that. It's not perfect and you'll hear suggestions to get it weld permanently in place but it does the trick and is a good mod to do. Better if you already have upgraded springs/shocks over stock.
Cars without swaybars never have end links or metal bushing mounts pre-installed for center pivot points. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not my car has pre-drilled holes for the OEM mounting hardware. Did you have to drill the control arms and subframe to install the bar? thanks
Old 03-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
rambleon84
So mote be it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lscman View Post
Cars without swaybars never have end links or metal bushing mounts pre-installed for center pivot points. What I'm trying to find out is whether or not my car has pre-drilled holes for the OEM mounting hardware. Did you have to drill the control arms and subframe to install the bar? thanks
The LCA's have the predrilled hole for the end links and are reinforced. There is not a mounting spot on the rear subframe and is what the Steeda kit addresses by using the clamps in the link i posted.

Here is my view:

You can easily verify the control arms and subframe by sticking your head down there. Ive never known an 07 that did not come with a factory rear sway bar to have the mounts on the subframe for the sway bar mounting but they all have had the same control arms with the hole for the end links.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
You could always go to the junkyard and find a hatchback or sedan that came with a rsb. then you wont have to worry about the gnarly noises typically associated with the steeda add on kit. Also if you do that you can clean it up really nice replace oall of the bushings put a few coats of paint on it then install it.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken then all pre 05 hatches came with rear swaybars.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 47 felixthecat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Add the cradle too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringler26 View Post
You could always go to the junkyard and find a hatchback or sedan that came with a rsb. then you wont have to worry about the gnarly noises typically associated with the steeda add on kit. Also if you do that you can clean it up really nice replace oall of the bushings put a few coats of paint on it then install it.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken then all pre 05 hatches came with rear swaybars.
You would also have to grab the cradle too for the mounts, if you are looking for an all bolt up.
Interduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 03-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Rear sway bar mount up to the cradle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
The LCA's have the predrilled hole for the end links and are reinforced. There is not a mounting spot on the rear subframe and is what the Steeda kit addresses by using the clamps in the link i posted.

Here is my view:

You can easily verify the control arms and subframe by sticking your head down there. Ive never known an 07 that did not come with a factory rear sway bar to have the mounts on the subframe for the sway bar mounting but they all have had the same control arms with the hole for the end links.
Rear sway bar mount= Just asking, Is that as far as you can get the left side mount over? Looking at your pix, looks like the left side can go over more. I see that ever so often, where the mounts aren't over as far as they should be. You probably all ready know that the bar works better when the mount are toward the end of the bar before the bent.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
rambleon84
So mote be it

/\ that's the farthest left it can go using that bracket. There is a cross section on the back of the rear subframe that comes out behind the bar, before the bend. I was not exactly happy that i could only get the bar that far and not get the brackets symmetrical. I'd love to swap a rear subframe or get a proper mount welded at the same point as the focus's that came with a rear sway bar. Especially since the proper rear subframe has these mounts at the bend.. youre making me want to revisit this and find a place that can do a little welding for me.

Not my picture but you can see on another '07 a little better:

photo belongs to SMITHBOY76908
Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #9
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

I notice in the above pix, there are springs where a solid spacers should go. The bar would work better w/ solid spacers there.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Thanks for pics.

wow, the Steeda kit doesn't look particularly desirable with respect to bracket location, shape or strength. It appears to be fabricated from flat steel plate like a universal addco product so the bushing brackets probably rotate on the frame bar under heavy torque. The flat plate solutions are OK if the pivot point is on the top or bottom of the frame rail, but not when it's positioned on a vertical surface. This position sees a ton of lateral rotation force, although a small hole drilled and tapped in the frame with a bolt would stop that motion.

One would think they could have designed custom shaped brackets to snugly fit the frame rail bend point, allowing the bracket pivot points to be positioned near the end of the straight center section of swaybar where they belong. I could do a far better job with some metal scrap, $5 heavy duty u-bolts from Ace Hardware, a grinding wheel, scissors and cardboard to make templates.

The $60 price tag for this steeda bracket kit is a joke. I think it's really designed to fit most chevy and ford and billed as a special focus setup lol. Welding isn't necessary but a better designed bracket is, imo. With bushing pushed together the effective torque arm lenght in the above photo is nearly double the OEM design. If the bracketry was totally silent & not moving under hard cornering (bad assumption according to owners), the 21mm bar becomes about a 17 or 18mm in practice.

Bookmarks & Social Networks