2013 Focus ST and "Tuning Protection" - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current)

Focus ST EcoBoost Performance (2013-Current) The place to chat about the 2.0L EcoBoost engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2013 Focus ST and "Tuning Protection"

http://www.sharkperformance.co.uk/ne...cle.asp?id=129

Long story short: The 2013 Focus ST uses a Bosch MED17 for engine management. The latest generation of MED17 (with the Infineon TriCore processor) employs "Tuning Protection". For those that are computer literate, a 1024 bit RSA signature is used which is virtually uncrackable.

In various searches, I have found some tuners that do offer a tune for cars with the latest version of the MED17. However, there is one problem: The PCM must be removed from the car and sent to the tuner. To reprogram it, they must remove the cover and use a special jig to connect to the PCB.

Also, it seems that Ford is really cracking down on "mods".
Here is a quote from TSB 11-7-7:

Some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles equipped with 5.0L engine may have unauthorized modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or calibration which may result in exceeding component design limits. Such modifications could cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warranty.

There is also is flowchart that instructs the tech to initiate the warranty cancellation process if it is determined that an aftermarket calibration (tune) was used.

FYI, Chrysler has already has "locked" their PCM for the SRT-8 vehicles.

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f155/p...t8-pcm-279857/

Perhaps more and more car manufacturers will "lock" their PCM's. I have seen many people stating that the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act puts the burden of proof on the manufacturer. If someone were to use an aftermarket tune that damaged their engine and removed the tune (i.e. "flashed back to stock") before having their car towed to a dealer, is it possible to definitively prove what the cause of the engine failure was? If not, this may be the reason why car manufacturers may want to protect themselves.

If aftermarket tuning is not available for the ST, would it affect your decision to buy it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
lscrx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 41668
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE hatch 5mt

FF Reputation: 2 lscrx Good Standing Member
I wonder if they'll use the same anti-tuning ECM on the non-ST... I was planning to put a bolt-on turbo/supercharger once they became available.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 03-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 22 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
If someone were to use an aftermarket tune that damaged their engine and removed the tune (i.e. "flashed back to stock") before having their car towed to a dealer, is it possible to definitively prove what the cause of the engine failure was?
electronic companies always have the stickers/seals on certain parts saying if this is removed, warranty is voided. So if they put some sort of anti tamper device on the ecm.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
LouBomb
It was all a DREAM!

Fan#: 32545
What I Drive: A magical pony by the name of Sally

FF Reputation: 9 LouBomb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
buying a car that cannot be modded would def not interest me... i mean i'd like to categorize myself as a car enthusiasts, and if i purchase a car even tho it may be already fast or look nice, first thing i do is look at available mods for it. But im sure like every electronic there's a way to bypass it.

Formely IMPORTKILLA35
Focus Revolution Club--Hatch Nation
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Good thing I've already decided the new Focus models aren't for me. Well and most newer cars for that matter. Too much junk and not enough enjoyment. The days of just buying a car with a decent stereo are gone now I have to have TCS, ABS, Stability control, navigation litigation and frustration. Hell with TPMS and all kinds of other stupid electronic add on things it annoys me.
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
jjakimetz
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81204
What I Drive: 2007 Liquid Grey 2.0,ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 jjakimetz Good Standing Member
Every time I hear about this I just laugh. Don't worry, someone will crack it ;)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #7
sporadic
Focus Addict

Fan#: 12724
What I Drive: 06 Sonic Blue ZX5 SES turbo

FF Reputation: 61 sporadic Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
I would not buy it if I could not modify it.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Lame. Tuning my Fusion couldn't have been easier. Plug the xCal in, push a few buttons, wait. Done.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:55 PM   #9
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjakimetz View Post
Every time I hear about this I just laugh. Don't worry, someone will crack it ;)
That may be true but at the same time you shouldn't assume that it's a done deal. SRT-8 owners wouldn't be up in arms if they had a tuning solution.

1024 bit RSA is not crackable, so it means that the tuner would have to find and exploit some kind of vulnerability to enable access thru the diagnostic port.

One possible (and not so unlikely) scenario: There will be a tuning solution, but not until sometime in 2014 at the earliest.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
itll be limited but you can prob still tune it in some way. Same thing used to happen with my M-Xrs... 1st gen ECU of that kind was in the 2000 celica gt-s and still to this day it has never been cracked. But with a power FC stand alone/piggy back it can be tuned to about 85-90% its potential

Bookmarks & Social Networks