First Engine Build - 2.3l - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom

Ford Focus Builds & General Showroom Post pictures and information of your Focus being built or your car images here. We want to see your Focus! More Images: Visit Our Online Ford Focus Gallery

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 AM   #1
RPMisChris
Focus Addict

Fan#: 76276
What I Drive: 07 svt 2.3 swap thing

FF Reputation: 1 RPMisChris Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Wink First Engine Build - 2.3l

Well, it all started when I dropped some cams in my 2.0 without checking clearances or upgrading springs. Lesson learned. About a year after the install, I overrevved my car passing an "I love Jesus" box truck (it was a big boxtruck that said that on the side.) I did not drop a valve or anything but I did weaken my valve springs enough to make the car undriveable in a few days time. Determined to learn a thing or two about the internal workings of a motor, I made the executive decision to source a 2.3l and build that sucker up. Yes I could have bought a 2.5 and built that up, but for simplicity I stuck with the 2.3.

I realize that I probably should have had someone experienced help me out with my first build but hey, thats what you guys are here for! I asked a ton of questions on the forum that probably seemed really stupid like, "how do you remove the crankshaft or remove the crank pulley bolt" lol, etc. I wanted to be as well informed as possible so I have probably put a bunch more time into researching the assembly of engines and how engines work than I have actually building mine.

On to the build

I am halfway done with my build and should have it completed and ready to drop in as soon as my cossie timing chain among other small things gets in.

My build

Head:

2.3 head
Arp head studs
Crane Cams
Crower springs and titanium retainers
Stock valves
3 angle valve job
EGR delete
Cossie friction washers and cam sprockets

Block:

2.3 block bored to 88mm
line honed
Arp main studs
Keyed ranger crank and sprocket
Eagle rods
Supertec 11.6:1 88mm pistons
Clevite race main and rod bearings
Massive BSD and Baffle

New oil pump, water pump, 34lb ford racing injectors etc.

Exedy stage 1 clutch with 9.5lb flywheel

Cossie Intake Mani

Power steering pump retrofit for Cossie
And much more.

I have the short block put together and am going to install the head later on this week pending upon my valve to piston clearance and final cylinder compression numbers. This is my first build and I have done most everything myself with thorough research! Although Nate (420svt) did help me finish pulling my old motor.

I have a few pictures but to be honest, I didn't take many as I am not a picture type person. I promise to get better as the thread/build goes on.

The motor is going lime green/ massive purple... Hulk theme (the lime green is much nicer in person and trust me, I meticulously prepped this thing so fingers crossed it holds up)

Basically all that is left is to finish assembling the motor, drop the motor in, install Cossie intake, install all misc accessories (ps pump, etc.), wires and hoses and install my new oil pressure and oil temp gauge. Took the easy route and bought a sandwich plate to install them.

After that I will upload my initial start up tune from Tom and prime my motor hopefully getting adequate oil pressure from my new pump that I packed full of Redline assembly lube.

The goal is ~200whp and 160 wtq although I might need a more aggressive cam to achieve this as I am going to initially use my stage 1 crane cam setup (they are broken in with the buckets from my 2.0 and I already have em). Next year before I get my car re-sprayed, I will probably upgrade to a stage 2 cam.

Please feel free to ask me questions or offer me advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
ZXthrizzle05
TURBO ZX3

Fan#: 24434
What I Drive: 2007 mazda 3 I sport, TURBO ZX3

FF Reputation: 6 ZXthrizzle05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Good good. Na POWA
RISE AGAIN EGGYOLK130 WHP 124 WTQ ZETEC CREW #271
RIFF CREW
TURBO DYNO COMING SOON
Old 09-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
ManIcFarland93
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 143833
What I Drive: 2014 Silver Focus MK3 Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 ManIcFarland93 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
taking on an engine build is quite a feat!, looks good so far. keep it up
Old 09-02-2014, 01:11 AM   #4
death_bomber
Aggresive Not Crazy

Fan#: 39461
What I Drive: 2001 RED LX

FF Reputation: 6 death_bomber Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thats an awesome green. Cant wait to see a few more parts that color.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
RPMisChris
Focus Addict

Well, I took all of my measurements for my final compression ratio and it came out like this:

Bore 88mm / 3.465 in
Stroke 94mm / 3.7 in
Head 43 cc's
Deck Height 0.014 in
Piston Valve pocket -2cc
Stock Felpro head gasket 0.016 in

When I enter all of that into CFM's Cometic calculator and zealautowerks calculator I get 12.51:1

However Summit Racing outputs 13.5:1 and when I calculated it out by hand I got 13.5:1.

Why am I getting lower numbers using their calculators?

If the 12.51:1 compression is the correct one then I should go with a .045" Cometic gasket to get 11.56:1.

How do I lower the compression enough if 13.5:1 is the right compression?
- Messing with summit's calculator, it looks like if I machined the pistons to have 0.032 deck clearance and used a 0.050 Cometic I would be at 11.64:1

Last edited by RPMisChris; 09-02-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
bringler26
FUBARCUS

Fan#: 59705
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 & 07 Impreza 2.5i

FF Reputation: 29 bringler26 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Very nice. I really want to build a motor but financially cannot right now. Color looks awesome!
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
I always moderate naked!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #7
RPMisChris
Focus Addict

I am found myself at a stall in my build process. It comes down to either machining the rods down a bit and getting everything rebalanced or buying a custom cometic .066 head gasket (thanks Tom for the advice); turns out machining the combustion chamber will not provide enough increase in volume. The gasket has a few days lead time and a week or so to ship. I will keep this thread updated and hopefully everything goes smooth after I get all of this sorted.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->