1000 Miles On two Tanks (Average Speed 71 MPH) - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #61
LoganK
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95336
What I Drive: 2008 Scion xD

FF Reputation: 1 LoganK Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richs10 View Post
Any if anyone doubts we had serious smog problems in the 60's and 70's, just Google "Los Angeles Smog in 1970's". How soon we forget.
Thanks for the tip, I did just that. Pretty interesting site as the number one hit.

Quote:
Regulators focused first on reducing unburned hydrocarbon emissions from engine crankcases, the source of one-third of total vehicular emissions, according to Arie J. Haagen-Smit, a Cal Tech professor who discovered the composition of smog.
Quote:
"Clearly, catalysts were the top measure," said Stuart, executive officer of AQMD from 1976 to 1986. "Without that, we'd still be choking all over the place."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 04:23 PM   #62
kelscar
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 88165
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 kelscar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
As is not too uncommon, the discussion has veered a bit. I think the original reference to Nancy Pelosi was her preaching the gospel of global warming, etc. while flying more-or-less by herself in a jet aircraft, as apparently was her privilege as Speaker of the House. It's hard to argue this is not hypocritical, but it is also not typical of the population at large.

While modern aircraft are exceptionally efficient, I think it's true that an economical car, especially one with more than a single passenger, is more efficient on a fuel/passenger mile basis.
Thank you Dan. This is the way I was seeing it also.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #63
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Would swapping the catalytic converter with one with a 2.5" pipe help, on his he swapped the default 2.25" exhaust for a full 2.5" system, with a cat delete, but using one from a bigger car that has a 2.5" would make that not be a bottleneck, but probably would still pass smog tests.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #64
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
I wonder what folks think about a 15 year old vehicle that has a cat thats probably so clogged up it might as well be a stright piece of pipe?

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #65
FocusBoy58
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03

Fan#: 38424
What I Drive: 01 Turbo,12 SE,95 Vette 396

FF Reputation: 14 FocusBoy58 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangelism View Post
Would swapping the catalytic converter with one with a 2.5" pipe help, on his he swapped the default 2.25" exhaust for a full 2.5" system, with a cat delete, but using one from a bigger car that has a 2.5" would make that not be a bottleneck, but probably would still pass smog tests.
Everyone keeps yelling at me in this 2012 forum that this is a whole new engine... Infact it isnt... its a higher compression direct injection version of last years 2.0 duratec. Every header Ive looked at over the past 3 weeks works the only difference is 1-2" of piping from the flex after the catalytic convertor. There is alot more good parts from last years engine that will work but I will keep my lips sealed since that will hurt business for these big companies making "parts" for this "new" motor.

ALSO FACTORY EXHAUST PIPING IS 2" not 2.25" please everyone get this right your factory is 2".... Full 2.5" from the header back on last years 2.0" netted 20+ whp on the race focus with No cats and Ive seen similiar gains. When I get a chance to drive to North Carolina and dyno this car at top speed because noone would believe a bolt on 2.0 2012 focus can have 190whp.

Reason fswerks, Top speed and Focus power arent coming out and saying that is they will be flamed by this young ford focus crowd and possibly lose 2012 focus business, where all the ones that have been around these car for 12 years have seen that there is no changes being made to most of this cars chassis and power plant except for this years amazing motor.

Also yes if you can modify a header back exhaust with 2.5" cat and full 2.5" exhaust you will see nice gains without being a "global killer" like me.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #66
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by st falcon View Post
I wonder what folks think about a 15 year old vehicle that has a cat thats probably so clogged up it might as well be a stright piece of pipe?
If the cat was plugged the car wouldn't run at all. I've seen this happen, when the catalyst fails because of contamination then it usually chokes off the flow of exhaust gasses all together. If no gas can get out then the car can't breath in fresh gasses and therefore the car stops running. If the 15 year old car is still running fine than the catalyst likely has not failed, nor would it be the same as putting in a test/straight pipe in its place.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #67
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
If the cat was plugged the car wouldn't run at all. I've seen this happen, when the catalyst fails because of contamination then it usually chokes off the flow of exhaust gasses all together. If no gas can get out then the car can't breath in fresh gasses and therefore the car stops running. If the 15 year old car is still running fine than the catalyst likely has not failed, nor would it be the same as putting in a test/straight pipe in its place.
DARN! I was hoping to be relevant today...

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 03-23-2012, 05:55 PM   #68
darkangelism
Sonic Crew #04

Fan#: 85425
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 9 darkangelism Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusBoy58 View Post
Everyone keeps yelling at me in this 2012 forum that this is a whole new engine... Infact it isnt... its a higher compression direct injection version of last years 2.0 duratec. Every header Ive looked at over the past 3 weeks works the only difference is 1-2" of piping from the flex after the catalytic convertor. There is alot more good parts from last years engine that will work but I will keep my lips sealed since that will hurt business for these big companies making "parts" for this "new" motor.

ALSO FACTORY EXHAUST PIPING IS 2" not 2.25" please everyone get this right your factory is 2".... Full 2.5" from the header back on last years 2.0" netted 20+ whp on the race focus with No cats and Ive seen similiar gains. When I get a chance to drive to North Carolina and dyno this car at top speed because noone would believe a bolt on 2.0 2012 focus can have 190whp.

Reason fswerks, Top speed and Focus power arent coming out and saying that is they will be flamed by this young ford focus crowd and possibly lose 2012 focus business, where all the ones that have been around these car for 12 years have seen that there is no changes being made to most of this cars chassis and power plant except for this years amazing motor.

Also yes if you can modify a header back exhaust with 2.5" cat and full 2.5" exhaust you will see nice gains without being a "global killer" like me.

Thanks for the information, considering that the header and a hi flow 2.5" cat is not that expensive, under $500, I can probably get the other pieces of piping custom made, I might try this and see how it turns out, I really want to hit 200whp once tunes are available. If there is enough room for both the header and the cat.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #69
KaputtEqu1pment
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91122
What I Drive: 2012 Triple Plat White Focus Ti HB

FF Reputation: 1 KaputtEqu1pment Good Standing Member
I've been getting about 450 miles out of my tanks lately, but i'm driving around 60mph on hilly state highways with premium no eth gas.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #70
-sokO
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93367
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Ti Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 -sokO Good Standing Member
That's basically the only thing missing from this car, 40-60 extra hp.

Bookmarks & Social Networks