ZETEC Engine stumble - SOLVED - Page 20 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #191
daveringstaff
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84320
Location: Bristol, PA
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

Posts: 110
FF Reputation: 1 daveringstaff Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Mystery hose?

Wrong post
daveringstaff is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #192
y-bot
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fan#: 81143
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2001 silver SE wagon

Posts: 39
FF Reputation: 1 y-bot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've got a 2001 SE Wagon with a Zetec engine and an automatic. I've got a code of P071 and slightly rough idle. I also think I can hear something that may be a vacuum leak coming from the back of the engine. I have a new one of the hoses discussed in this thread but I haven't quite figured out how to replace it. I removed the intake tube thingy that goes between the air cleaner box and the throttle body and I can see the end of the hose that goes to the PCV. I think I can feel the other end but I don't see it. Should something else be removed to get to it?

Thanks!
y-bot is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 02:22 PM   #193
2003zx5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 84545
Location: Brunswick, OH
What I Drive: White 2012 SEL sedan

Posts: 41
Points 276, Level 5
Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5 Points: 276, Level: 5
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 2003zx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It's there right below the throttle body. There is nothing else to remove unless you want to take the intake off. Hardest part when I replaced mine was getting the hose clamp off. You have to contort yourself and using a pair of pliers, remove the clamp. I just used a zip tie when I installed the new hose. And the hose will not go all the way over to the PCV, there is a steel tube between the hose and the PCV.
2003zx5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #194
y-bot
Focus Jr. Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Fan#: 81143
Location: Portland, OR
What I Drive: 2001 silver SE wagon

Posts: 39
FF Reputation: 1 y-bot Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003zx5 View Post
It's there right below the throttle body. There is nothing else to remove unless you want to take the intake off. Hardest part when I replaced mine was getting the hose clamp off. You have to contort yourself and using a pair of pliers, remove the clamp. I just used a zip tie when I installed the new hose. And the hose will not go all the way over to the PCV, there is a steel tube between the hose and the PCV.
That clamp is ridiculous. FYI - the hose it not the same diameter on both ends. I matched up the size of a hose clamp to the wrong end and it wouldn't fit the end it needed to go on. So, zip ties it is. Idle is smoother and I erase the CEL code, we'll see if it stays.
y-bot is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #195
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast
 
Vexorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85499
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

Posts: 343
FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It's amazing how much that little PCV can effect things. Doorman rocks. I like their stuff. Their lower control arms are heavier duty than the OEM's and very well priced.
Vexorg is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #196
Charged SVTF
Was that our exit?!?
 
Charged SVTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Fan#: 22047
Location: Palm Beach Gardens, FL
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue Supercharged SVT

Posts: 2,054
FF Reputation: 30 Charged SVTF Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thank you thank you....I developed that part :) Yea, a clean PCV system can do wonders. We are also going to make the elbow from the PCV to the tube. Stay tuned.
__________________
2002 Sonic Blue SVT #246 of 4788 cardomain.com/ride/2483606
- JRSC BBK - Exhaust - Intake - Suspension -
First Place 2007 Season SJR-SCCA Solo and 2007 Rookie of the Year SJR-SCCA #20 SM
Charged SVTF is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 PM   #197
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast
 
Vexorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Fan#: 85499
Location: Cleveland, OH
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

Posts: 343
FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charged SVTF View Post
Thank you thank you....I developed that part :) Yea, a clean PCV system can do wonders. We are also going to make the elbow from the PCV to the tube. Stay tuned.
You designed the hose? or the control arms? Lol.
Vexorg is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #198
02focus2.0
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89175
Location: Chicago, IL
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch black SE

Posts: 2
FF Reputation: 1 02focus2.0 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
First it stalls, now it races

I bought a old focus with 100,000 on it and for the first few days it ran ok. It suddenly started stalling whenever I came to a stop for any period of time. I could save it by popping it in neutral and just giving it the slightest bit of gas and putting it in drive again. I never had a problem restarting it if it stalled.

So I read all of your advice and sure enough it was the vacuum hose from the PCV valve on the back of the engine. The elbow was crushed and blocked the hose. I replaced it and it ran perfect...for about 10 minutes.

Now it seems the car just wants to go, no matter what the traffic conditions. it no longer stalls at idle but the RPM's keep climbing and when I throw it in neutral it revs at about 3,000 RPM or so (just a guess, this one does not have a tach) If I let the engine cool down for a few minutes it returns to normal but after prolonged driving it starts racing again. It is much more prevalent when the A/C is running

So here are my thoughts: Throttle body needs cleaning? IAV needs replacing? or is it something as simple as resetting something since this problem started 10 minutes after I solved the stalling problem? Any suggestions? No check engine lights
02focus2.0 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #199
deezx5
Focus Addict
 
deezx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Fan#: 72153
Location: Austin, TX
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

Posts: 1,081
FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02focus2.0 View Post
I bought a old focus with 100,000 on it and for the first few days it ran ok. It suddenly started stalling whenever I came to a stop for any period of time. I could save it by popping it in neutral and just giving it the slightest bit of gas and putting it in drive again. I never had a problem restarting it if it stalled.

So I read all of your advice and sure enough it was the vacuum hose from the PCV valve on the back of the engine. The elbow was crushed and blocked the hose. I replaced it and it ran perfect...for about 10 minutes.

Now it seems the car just wants to go, no matter what the traffic conditions. it no longer stalls at idle but the RPM's keep climbing and when I throw it in neutral it revs at about 3,000 RPM or so (just a guess, this one does not have a tach) If I let the engine cool down for a few minutes it returns to normal but after prolonged driving it starts racing again. It is much more prevalent when the A/C is running

So here are my thoughts: Throttle body needs cleaning? IAV needs replacing? or is it something as simple as resetting something since this problem started 10 minutes after I solved the stalling problem? Any suggestions? No check engine lights
I would start by unplugging the negative battery terminal for 15-30 minutes then let the car relearn its idle for a few minutes with ac off then a few more with ac on before going for a drive. If this doesn't work then it cost nothing and required minimal effort.

Also if you haven't done a tune up at at 100K plugs, wires, pcv valve are all due for replacement and a new fuel filter is always a good idea. Just a few things to keep in mind Welcome to FF
deezx5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #200
oshoguno
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Fan#: 45853
Location: Caledonia, Canada
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Hatchback

Posts: 116
Points 645, Level 12
Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12 Points: 645, Level: 12
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 oshoguno Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I don't know if this has been covered already or not. I got a PCV valve (Fram FV349), hose (xs4z-6n664-ba) and elbow (f8cz-6n664-aa) and went to do the job. I found out that the hoses inner diameter is different from what is on the car. My old PCV connection port is much bigger and the pipe under the thermostat housing is bigger. As a result the hose will not fit on the pipe and neither will the elbow if I use the new parts. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.





oshoguno is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zetec engine identification mr_force ZETEC Performance (2000-2004) 15 09-05-2007 05:00 PM
Vehicle Maintenence Schedule S2 General Technical Chat 0 05-08-2006 11:57 AM
New Engine Technology 2004SVTAutoXer Ford Focus & General Car Chat 8 04-26-2006 07:06 PM
Zetec Stumble Fix...Help? jcarian General Technical Chat 1 03-12-2005 12:00 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat