ZETEC Engine stumble - SOLVED - Page 15 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #141
trailbikerider
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50501
What I Drive: 2002 Granny Gold ZTS, 94 2.3 Ranger

FF Reputation: 14 trailbikerider Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (15)
Got it ordered today. Cost me $22. Hopefully this fixes mine.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #142
MadFF
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 62398
What I Drive: 2005 Brown Focus ZXW

FF Reputation: 1 MadFF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sorry about the delay in responding, but thankyou for those pictures. I think I have a different engine... it certainly looks different:

Close up of drivers side of engine:

All the tubes I can reach seem to be fine. I am thinking I may have an engine mount problem, as a post much earlier in this thread mentioned. The engine is running fine, just an excessive amount of vibration -- at least what I think is much more vibration than when we bought it 3 years ago. I had a friend put a scanner on the car, and no codes came up. I will keep looking...

Thanks again!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #143
MadFF
Focus Rookie

Update... just talked with the service manager at my local dealer. We have to have the car "emissions tested" (GAH! don't get me started on these stupid emission tests...), so I told him to take a look at the engine due to the vibration. The car is still under warranty. He just gave a slight smile, and said he knew exactly what I was talking about. He said there are a bunch of TSBs (Technical Service Bulletin) about this problem with Focus cars. I'll be bringing the car in next week. I'll let you all know what happens, it may help someone else.

This is still kinda sorta related to the engine stumble problem that is the title of this thread, right?... lol!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:39 AM   #144
MadFF
Focus Rookie

Okay, one last update from me. Got the car back from the dealer... they "reprogrammed" or "reflashed" the car's computer due to the engine vibration (under warranty). It seemed to improve things, but it is hard to tell. Really the big change that I notice is the RPMs seem higher - kind of a cheap way to "fix" something. The service manager told me that I may not notice a big difference.

As I said before, I am going to look into the engine mounts when I get a chance.

I don't know... the car runs fine (no stall, no stumble, plenty of power), just has this vibration that I think is excessive. I may just have to chalk it up to an engine with 60,000 miles on it.

Thanks for everyone's responses here!
Old 03-30-2009, 08:53 AM   #145
bugfanatic
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 50533
What I Drive: 2003 Charcoal Grey ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 bugfanatic Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I too had the vibration & replaced each motor mount & didn't get any improvement until the passenger side mount was changed. I found out by chance that pushing down firmly on the top of the passenger mount will greatly increase the noise if it's a bad mount & help you pinpoint the problem. I also had a bad idle problem which was compounding the vibration issue so I ended up cleaning my MAF sensor with alcohol, fixing the kinked PCV hose on the backside of the motor, replacing the PCV valve, & replacing the upstream O2 sensor per engine code it kicked out while I was doing the motor mounts - what perfect timing on the 02 code, huh?
Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 AM   #146
Justin svt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 58325
What I Drive: 2002 CD Silver SVT

Points 2,568, Level 30
Points: 2,568, Level: 30 Points: 2,568, Level: 30 Points: 2,568, Level: 30
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 Justin svt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hey my hose is collapsed but i can pintch it right off and it wont make a diffrence...? there isent any holes..can i just go to napa and get a short chunk of hose for like 2 bucks? or is it a certain type of hose?
2002 silver ZX3 SVT #2318: Tom's Tune, 8.2mm Taylor Thundervolt wires, Custom ORP, Full Prothane bushing swap

"I buy things I don't need, with money I don't have, to impress people I don't know"
Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 PM   #147
blackberrypro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62762
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Green

FF Reputation: 1 blackberrypro Good Standing Member
Its a certain type of hose Justin_jkj..
The only can only be found at the Dealer. PM Mike he is a good guy and I am sure he can hook up you with a rock awesome price on the part.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #148
raisdfist
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 26424
What I Drive: 02 Focus SE Zetec, 06 Fusion SEL V6

FF Reputation: 1 raisdfist Good Standing Member
Thanks for the info everyone, I just noticed today that mine was totally collapsed too, ill get that changed this week i hope this wont be too expensive at the local stealership. Is it really hard to change that hose? or is there a tutorial somewhere in the forum that could help me?
Also I got a maybe stupid question, if it is stupid please forgive my ignorance, but could that vacuum hose beign collapsed make a transmission seem to lag because of the lack of vacuum that it should have?
Old 05-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #149
blackberrypro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 62762
What I Drive: 2001 Ford Focus ZX3 Green

FF Reputation: 1 blackberrypro Good Standing Member
I believe a vac line does not make a tranny lag.. Also get with Mike from Hill ford..

He has awesome prices.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #150
bwojdyla
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 3589
What I Drive: Red 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 bwojdyla Good Standing Member
Wow. I haven't been around much since I gave my Focus to my little sister for her 16th birthday and bought myself an Audi A4, but coming back and seeing 36,000 pageviews on this post it seems like I might have done some good. I'm really glad I was able to help everybody out.

Now, about that A4, anyone have ideas why one brake channel might refuse to bleed?

(/stupid car problems)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.