My Thule BLACK Aeroblades - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95451
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Sport MT SGM

FF Reputation: 2 Nelson12 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My Thule BLACK Aeroblades

I recently installed my Thule Aeroblades! I got the black bars and they look awesome.

Here are the parts:

Thule 480R Rapid Traverse foot pack
Thule 1627 fit kit
Thule ARB 53 Black Aeroblades (Rackoutfitters.com has these exclusively, as far as I can tell)
Lamin-x - style paint protector panels (unknown brand)
2 Thule 518 Echelon bike mounts (with 590 V2 trays)
2 XADAPT9 kits (more on this below)

I had a little bit of trouble installing these. First of all, the Aeroblades have this new clever feature of a sliding plastic ruler that is supposed to measure the width between the towers between installation. I was confused why the rear bar was way too long, until I got out the tape measure. Turns out the plastic sliding rulers were 6 1/2 inches off in the back, and 1 1/2 inches off in the front. The rears simply didn't come close to fitting, but the front had come close but had a gap so the door didn't close properly. Measuring the actually bar spread with a tape measure solved both these issues; the length given in the 1627 fit kit instructions is correct, but the plastic sliders are not.

All is well now.

So there are two types of the XADAPT9 kit. Your best bet is to buy them from a reputable bike rack shop who would know the difference- a couple reviews on Amazon complain of receiving an item that is not what is pictured. I ordered the kit seen below, which is the older version. That big plate is to mount the tray to the back bar, which it does using the T-slots. The new version has a clamp mount in the back. The advantage to the old one is that both ends of the bike tray ride on top and mount cleanly in the T-slots. This means that you can mount the tray directly over the towers, freeing up more space in the middle. This is one of the primary advantages to having the T-slot system in the first place. In the old days you had to fit everything inside of the towers. I would recommend not getting the clamp mount.

Get this kind.

Not this kind.

Overall I am extremely pleased with the rack. It will likely stay on my car 8 months out of the year. It doesn't hurt that it looks awesome.

Last edited by Nelson12; 03-14-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #2
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Uh, help with the photos. I am using flickr and posted the image links into the image box. Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 AM   #3
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
The image links need to be direct. They should end with ".jpg" in the link, or whatever filetype the photos are.

The roof rack looks very nice. Can I ask roughly how much the whole ordeal ran you? Considering getting one too, but they seem to be quite pricey.

PS... to get the image link, click on share, HTML code, then use the web address to the photo within that code. Like I say, it ends with ".jpg" and begins with "http://farm8.staticflickr.com/". Copy that whole line, insert image on this board, and paste that URL. Or tick "BBCode", copy that whole code, and get rid of everything before the "img" and after the "/img" (in square brackets).
Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
wilsonfocus86
Focus Addict

Fan#: 23099
What I Drive: 14 Fusion 2.0

FF Reputation: 3 wilsonfocus86 Good Standing Member
Looks very nice man! The black looks cool, but I love my silver

I'm sure you saw my write-up thread I made when I did my Thule install, Here. I think I was the first one on here to do so! Yeah you just have to make sure that you don't second rate this stuff and buy some junk people may say will work. In fact it could, but when dealing with quality stuff like this I go all out for quality from a reputable bike shop.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Fringe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95955
What I Drive: 2012 SE 5DR Sport 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 Fringe Good Standing Member
Looks like a well designed quality product ! Thanks for the pics. Had wondered about these as I have a mountain bike. The Focus looks awesome of course too..... (mine is identical )
Old 03-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altis View Post
The image links need to be direct. They should end with ".jpg" in the link, or whatever filetype the photos are.

The roof rack looks very nice. Can I ask roughly how much the whole ordeal ran you? Considering getting one too, but they seem to be quite pricey.

PS... to get the image link, click on share, HTML code, then use the web address to the photo within that code. Like I say, it ends with ".jpg" and begins with "http://farm8.staticflickr.com/". Copy that whole line, insert image on this board, and paste that URL. Or tick "BBCode", copy that whole code, and get rid of everything before the "img" and after the "/img" (in square brackets).

Thanks man! For some reason flickr was giving me a bogus code when I clicked "grab the link". Instead it needs the right-click method.

I got the set of crossbars, fit kit and towers for $381, at 10% off. If I had gotten the silver I could have gotten 20% off through ORS Direct, with a 10% plus another 10% with coupon code "EXTRA10". Shipping is free from either company. Since I already had the bike trays I just needed the XADAPT9 kits, which ran about $13 each. So total damage was about $407. I will also be getting a similar adapter kit for my ski rack http://www.orsracksdirect.com/blog-t...-bars-102.html
which will be about $13 as well.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonfocus86 View Post
Looks very nice man! The black looks cool, but I love my silver

I'm sure you saw my write-up thread I made when I did my Thule install, Here. I think I was the first one on here to do so! Yeah you just have to make sure that you don't second rate this stuff and buy some junk people may say will work. In fact it could, but when dealing with quality stuff like this I go all out for quality from a reputable bike shop.

Yeah man I was salivating over that post as I ordered mine. It pushed me over the edge! Did you have any trouble over the measurements? I notice your close-up of the rubber pads fit better than mine. One of my pads ends about in the middle of that plastic strip on the roof.

I agree you don't want some crappy roof rack. I'm actually selling my old perfectly good thule square bar system with 400XT towers because the towers were poorly designed, and I was tired of the fairing.

I just noticed you have the clamp style xadapt. I think yours are more sturdy than my style, which is probably why they changed them. I think my V2 trays have a different bolt spread in the back, as they are only spaced to cover square or round bars. They definitely wouldn't have matched that wide clamp.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fringe View Post
Looks like a well designed quality product ! Thanks for the pics. Had wondered about these as I have a mountain bike. The Focus looks awesome of course too..... (mine is identical )
Word. SGM w/ 17s FTW
Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
Nelson12
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I just found this set of reviews and am finding lots of people are not a fan of the older style XADAPT9 kit. http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...dapter-kit.asp

I guess I have not had any problems with the rattle yet and I'm sure if I do I will change my mind about them. You can see the confusion about the two products however, as all the bad reviews are about the older style.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
Altis
Focus Addict

Fan#: 89540
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Hatch 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Altis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson12 View Post
Thanks man! For some reason flickr was giving me a bogus code when I clicked "grab the link". Instead it needs the right-click method.

I got the set of crossbars, fit kit and towers for $381, at 10% off. If I had gotten the silver I could have gotten 20% off through ORS Direct, with a 10% plus another 10% with coupon code "EXTRA10". Shipping is free from either company. Since I already had the bike trays I just needed the XADAPT9 kits, which ran about $13 each. So total damage was about $407. I will also be getting a similar adapter kit for my ski rack http://www.orsracksdirect.com/blog-t...-bars-102.html
which will be about $13 as well.
No problem Flickr tends to be quirky like that!

That's a decent price. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada, but it always seems to be $700-$800 all in for the parts at all the local shops. It would be nice as the lady and I intend to do some serious road cycling this year, but it's still a good chunk of change.

Looks great though!

Bookmarks & Social Networks