TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 24 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #231
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

Points 216, Level 4
Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CHMan View Post
Well,

I hate to say this but my new Focus ST (build 12/12) is experiencing the steering issue you are all describing here.

Since this is the first post of this since Sept '12, I have to wonder how I got so 'lucky' to have an issue that should no longer be happening???

Has anyone else had this issue with cars built in late 2012?
have you checked this thread think theres at least one 2013 having same problem http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263243 theres a couple steering threads on here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #232
gzrfun
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93746
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE 5spd HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 gzrfun Good Standing Member
Quote:
Well,

I hate to say this but my new Focus ST (build 12/12) is experiencing the steering issue you are all describing here.

Since this is the first post of this since Sept '12, I have to wonder how I got so 'lucky' to have an issue that should no longer be happening???

Has anyone else had this issue with cars built in late 2012?
8CHMan,

I understand that the steering problem was caused by a manufacturing defect in the steering position sensor, which is a internal part of the rack and pinion assembly. The sensor cannot be adjusted or replaced and the solution is to replace the entire rack and pinion assembly. The TSB does that. You may have gotten one of the defective rack and pinion assemblies or it could be a different problem. The Electric Power Steering is a very complex system.

How do you like that ST?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #233
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115085
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST

Points 11, Level 1
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 8CHMan Good Standing Member
gzr,

Love the ST minus the steering issue. I've only had it a couple weeks, so my opinion isn't a thorough one. So far it feels less sharp than my RX-8, Integra Type R, and Civic Si. Too much body roll for my taste; I feel very high and upright compared to the RX-8, but that car is noted for it's low center of gravity. Lets just say that I'm content; not overwhelmed.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #234
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Called my dealer to arrange for an appointment tomorrow to look at the steering. I'm not filled with confidence based on the conversation I had.

Called Ford of Canada this afternoon to see if I could fill in the blanks for my dealer tomorrow. They didn't find any TSB or recall related to steering. The TSB 12-02-17 didn't exist according to them.

Sheesh.... Looks like this may be far too much fun.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #235
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

Points 216, Level 4
Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4 Points: 216, Level: 4
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Called my dealer to arrange for an appointment tomorrow to look at the steering. I'm not filled with confidence based on the conversation I had.

Called Ford of Canada this afternoon to see if I could fill in the blanks for my dealer tomorrow. They didn't find any TSB or recall related to steering. The TSB 12-02-17 didn't exist according to them.

Sheesh.... Looks like this may be far too much fun.
the steering tsb 12-02-17 is for early build 2012's (before 12/2011 i think ,they changed dates a couple times), been a few later build 2012's ,one 2013 that have gotten it done afaik. most likely there road test check your alignment, suspension and rotate tires(might recommend a road force balance to make sure theres no cords broken) first, if they don't find anything you can try mentioning the tsb
Old 05-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #236
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Went to my delivering dealership this morning after calling yesterday to schedule an appointment. I told the service rep yesterday that I would need to take someone on a lengthy drive in order to show them what I was talking about.

Showed up, spoke to the same rep I spoke to on the phone earlier. Described to her the issue, again. Asked about who would be accompanying me on the drive. (BTW I drove an extra 30 minutes on the highway so the car would be warmed up and exhibiting the behaviour before arriving at the dealership).

She gets a mechanic who tells me that he's going to have to be able to see it on the streets near the dealership and that he can't go for a drive. I tell him that I basically drive for a living and have logged over a million miles over the years on various cars so I know what I'm talking about. I even show him the group of parts involved in the repairs and the USDM TSB. He tells me that it doesn't matter what you google on the internet, I can't fix what I can't see. Besides, he says, that is a '12' TSB so it doesn't apply to your car and your car is an ST, so it's COMPLETELY different. And they are talking about US cars on the internet, not CDN cars.... uh, hello... McFly... THEY ARE ALL MADE IN THE SAME PLANT ON THE SAME ASSEMBLY LINE!!!

After I take a few breaths to calm down, he tells me that he will call Ford with my description of what's going on and they will tell him what he can do. I offer to leave him my printouts of the documented USDM TSB and part lists, but he doesn't want or need them. Says that I can leave the car with them and I in turn ask, for what purpose? Unless you take it for a drive on the highway which you wont do, you won't see anything wrong; and if you do decide to follow mine and/or Ford's instructions to fix the car, you'll no doubt have to order the parts which will take at least a few days to get in... So I decide to just drive myself home. It's now been 3 hours and I should hear back by telephone soon based on the timetable he stated.

OK... So he's basically telling me two things with that... A) I'm just imagining things and B) I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #237
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,829, Level 32
Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32 Points: 2,829, Level: 32
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
I really hate the Ford dealership close to my work. I told myself I'd never go there again, but it's so easy to just drop it off for the day and pick it up after work.

Anyway, I asked for an alignment because of my highway wander/lack of center-feel (even though I think I probably have this issue) and the lady called and said the technician took it for a drive and didn't feel it pulling. So I said I'd just wait on an alignment until I get my new tires. I'm kind of happy about that, though - $99 for a 4-wheel alignment sounded kind of steep.

But at least they changed my oil and updated my ACM so my radio station doesn't keep changing when I change sources.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #238
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Points 11, Level 1
Level Up 21% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Update...

Dropped of the ST this morning since they asked to have a look at part numbers on my car. Called me about an hour ago, I need to have my steering rack replaced... and its leaking too. Shocker! LOL. Parts ordered, will take about two weeks... I'll update once I get a call.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #239
Lewiss02
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115851
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 Lewiss02 Good Standing Member
Steering issue with my 2013 Focus ST

My ST is all over the road when I am on the interstate. It drifts to the right, then the steering feels overly tight, then it over corrects to the left all of the sudden. It feels like being in a wobble on a bike. It just bounces back an forth going down the highway. I had to pull the car off of the road a couple times. I was sure something came loose, but was unable to find anything. Ford Customer Service and the dealership are giving me the run around for the last two weeks. Hopimg somebody on here can give me some info to improve my situation. Sounds like I am not the only person having this problem, but ford swears otherwise.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #240
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 23,713, Level 94
Points: 23,713, Level: 94 Points: 23,713, Level: 94 Points: 23,713, Level: 94
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Moved to MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive.
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks