TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 19 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #181
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
In response to your first post, our dealers will always perform an inspection before giving a diagnosis. Did you make an appointment in early August or will the dealer call you when they come in? By the way, I saw your PM and will respond soon.
I know dealers will perform an inspection before diagnoses, I just didn't want them to hear my description and immediately assume it was an alignment or tire balancing issue, both of which are common occurrences which would cause the wandering. Thankfully they didn't give me a hard time claiming that those 2 things were the cause.

I did not make an appointment, they said they will call me in a week or a week and a half when the parts come in, and from there I will make my appointment. I really hope to get it taken care of on the week of August 5th because after that I am going to be quite busy and would like my car available. According to the service manager he said it will take "one full day" meaning it might have to stay over 1 night...but seeing others go through this on this forum, I'm not holding my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #182
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Well I've had the earlier TSB applied in December, and I want to verify my symptoms with anyone else who has had this corrected, since my problem has come back.

Typically around 55+ in a straight line, the steering gets stiffer. There is about 1/2 inch of play in the steering wheel where nothing happens and the steering is very light, and then it requires a decent amount of force, though still one handed but not one fingered, to break past the deadband. If the speed is 55+ on a curvy road, the steering is much lighter and the deadband isn't noticeable.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #183
Kramer2K
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99894
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Kramer2K Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Well I've had the earlier TSB applied in December, and I want to verify my symptoms with anyone else who has had this corrected, since my problem has come back.

Typically around 55+ in a straight line, the steering gets stiffer. There is about 1/2 inch of play in the steering wheel where nothing happens and the steering is very light, and then it requires a decent amount of force, though still one handed but not one fingered, to break past the deadband. If the speed is 55+ on a curvy road, the steering is much lighter and the deadband isn't noticeable.
That pretty much describes what I was experiencing.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #184
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
...I did not make an appointment, they said they will call me in a week or a week and a half when the parts come in, and from there I will make my appointment. I really hope to get it taken care of on the week of August 5th because after that I am going to be quite busy and would like my car available. According to the service manager he said it will take "one full day" meaning it might have to stay over 1 night...
Got it; I sent you a PM earlier today about this. Please check your inbox and respond when you're available.

Quote:

When did your dealer last inspect it? If you'd like, I'll escalate this with your area's Customer Service Manager; please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer2K View Post
That pretty much describes what I was experiencing.
Has your Focus made it out of the operating room yet?

- Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #185
Kramer2K
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Has your Focus made it out of the operating room yet?

- Thomas
Negative Mr. T.

Parts are still unavailable, but should be in soon, as far as I know. Currently out of town on business and should hear something Friday.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM   #186
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer2K View Post
Negative Mr. T.

Parts are still unavailable, but should be in soon, as far as I know. Currently out of town on business and should hear something Friday.
Understood; the CSM will see this through. Please shoot me a quick PM and let me know how it goes.

- Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #187
gzrfun
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93746
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE 5spd HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 gzrfun Good Standing Member
Quote:

The EPAS is far more complex then conventional or hydraulic assist steering. This system now involves sensors, computers, and software in addition to the the mechanical system. So, which component is causing the fault? The diagnosis is far beyond the level of dealer service department personnel.

Take a look at this description of Ford's EPAS system:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/EPAS.pdf

The TSB deals with a mechanical solution, but from your experience I wonder if the fault might be in the electronics or software.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #188
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Took my Focus in on 7/2 and was told the parts would be in in about 5 days. They still haven't called me over 3 weeks later. Starting to get a bit ticked off now.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #189
Kramer2K
Focus Rookie

I recieved a call this afternoon notifying me that the parts have now made it to the dealership. I am on schedule to pick up my car tomorrow afternoon, which will have been 15 days since dropping it off.

It's just that there is such a shortage of parts required to address this TSB. Hopefully they're fast tracking the parts at Ford.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #190
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Well I am pissed.

I have the unfortunate problem of my dealer's service department being in the process of moving to another location. Supposedly they were going to get the parts in 1 week (which seems ridiculously fast after reading this thread), so I called today and they do not know if the parts are in or not because they have not been inventoried yet because they are still moving locations. It may take 7-10 days for them to figure it out. Even then, the parts may not be in.

Now it's just a waiting game. I am going on a road trip on August 21st and I NEED my car for it. I really do not want to drive it with this bullshit issue.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->