TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #171
Kramer2K
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99894
What I Drive: 2012 White SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Kramer2K Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
It's my pleasure! If you'd like, please PM me your VIN, mileage, phone #, and dealer info; I'll shoot these details to your region's Customer Service Manager.

With regards,

Thomas
That's mighty kind of you Thomas; thanks a lot for the offer. I may take you up on that if I run into issues. My rep from the dealership called today and said I'd be in my rental for another day or two. He seems to think the parts will be in tomorrow.

I'm delighted that the problem was diagnosed and a fix is forthcoming. If the repair lead times described here are any indication, I'm worried the parts won't be in soon. We shall see though.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #172
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,218, Level 35
Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35 Points: 3,218, Level: 35
Level Up 12% Completed
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer2K View Post
That's mighty kind of you Thomas; thanks a lot for the offer. I may take you up on that if I run into issues. My rep from the dealership called today and said I'd be in my rental for another day or two. He seems to think the parts will be in tomorrow.

I'm delighted that the problem was diagnosed and a fix is forthcoming. If the repair lead times described here are any indication, I'm worried the parts won't be in soon. We shall see though.
No problem at all! If it takes too long, you know how to find me.

Have a good Wednesday,

Thomas

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 07-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #173
Kramer2K
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
No problem at all! If it takes too long, you know how to find me.

Have a good Wednesday,

Thomas
I sent you a PM Thomas.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:50 PM   #174
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,218, Level 35
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
Quote:
I sent you a PM Thomas.
I just sent a reply; please check your inbox as soon as possible.

- Thomas

Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #175
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Hey Thomas, I see you are the resident Ford rep here...I have been lurking this forum for awhile now and finally made an account.

I just want to keep you in the loop because I have this same steering issue on my 2012 Focus SEL sedan. It has ~4,600 miles on it currently. For the longest time I was making excuses for the handling thinking it was the roads or unbalanced tires, which I had rebalanced but the issue still exists.

Today I made an appointment to get my car checked out for Monday. When I spoke to the service rep on the phone I mentioned to him that I think it was this issue and he got defensive saying "WELL WE HAVE TO MAKE THAT CALL." I hope they don't make this process difficult. Are dealers aware of this issue enough to not jerk our chain around with the correct solution?

-Chris
Old 07-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #176
Pennut
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91326
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Hatchback

Points 1,386, Level 20
Points: 1,386, Level: 20 Points: 1,386, Level: 20 Points: 1,386, Level: 20
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 4 Pennut Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I also have an issue with my steering. I went to California in June and got a rental Focus which I drove 1600 miles. So I really had a basis for comparison between the rental (which did not have any steering issues) and my own Focus. So I took it to the dealer and they said it needed some parts in the steering column I believe is what they said. But they said 5 days for the parts to come in and it's been over 2 weeks. here was my thread and my symptoms:

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...t=bad+steering
Old 07-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #177
Kramer2K
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
Hey Thomas, I see you are the resident Ford rep here...I have been lurking this forum for awhile now and finally made an account.

I just want to keep you in the loop because I have this same steering issue on my 2012 Focus SEL sedan. It has ~4,600 miles on it currently. For the longest time I was making excuses for the handling thinking it was the roads or unbalanced tires, which I had rebalanced but the issue still exists.

Today I made an appointment to get my car checked out for Monday. When I spoke to the service rep on the phone I mentioned to him that I think it was this issue and he got defensive saying "WELL WE HAVE TO MAKE THAT CALL." I hope they don't make this process difficult. Are dealers aware of this issue enough to not jerk our chain around with the correct solution?

-Chris
I wouldn't make that assumption. My Focus is being repaired with a new steering gear and associated parts. I took it in Monday, but I'm still in a rental car today.

My wife took one of her customer's Focus' in for repair at a different Ford dealership since it was exhibiting the steering issue. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem and just balanced his tires. That won't be a satisfactory resolution for her customer.

But to answer your question, no, not all dealers are going to automatically call it a eligible for this TSB. I'd say take it to a different one if they balk at fixing it correctly.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #178
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I wouldn't make that assumption. My Focus is being repaired with a new steering gear and associated parts. I took it in Monday, but I'm still in a rental car today.

My wife took one of her customer's Focus' in for repair at a different Ford dealership since it was exhibiting the steering issue. They said they couldn't duplicate the problem and just balanced his tires. That won't be a satisfactory resolution for her customer.

But to answer your question, no, not all dealers are going to automatically call it a eligible for this TSB. I'd say take it to a different one if they balk at fixing it correctly.
I am crossing my fingers that they do the right thing. When I get there I am going to mention it again so they know I am aware of this TSB.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #179
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

So I just got my car back from the dealer and they will be replacing the steering rack under warranty. They did not give me any trouble at all...When I went to drop my car off I said what my issue was and that I found a TSB dealing with it. I gave the service manager a copy of it so he knew I was aware that a TSB existed.

He said the parts may take a 1-2 weeks to come in..and they are in the process of moving to a new location, so the earliest my car can be fixed is the week of August 5th.

the parts list he gave me is different than those listed on the first page of the thread...here is my list:

W714807-S900 BOLT (4X)
BV6Z-3504-KE GEAR ASY (1X)
CV6Z-00812-A BOLT (2X)
W715491-S442 BOLT (4X)
W520203-S442 NUT HEX (4X)
W520415-S442 NUT (2X)
W520113-S442 NUT HEX (4X)

The gear assembly has a different number, the quantity of the bolts/nuts differ, and I do not have any type of fluid listed.

Can anyone confirm that the parts ordered for their steering rack were the same as mine?

for reference here are the parts listed on page 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triborough View Post
Here is the parts list off of my invoice:

W715491-S442 BOLT 52614 (2X)
W520203-S442 NUT - H 508953 (2X)
W520415-S442 NUT - 513464 (2X)
W520113-S442 NUT - H 550178 (2X)
CV6Z-00812-A BOLT 512930 (2X)
BV6Z-3504-CE GEAR AS 561396 (1X)
W714807-S900 BOLT 506728 (3X)
XL-14 FLUID (3X)
edit: just thought maybe the difference in parts can be because of the different options our vehicles have?
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #180
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Points 3,218, Level 35
Level Up 12% Completed
Forum Activity 22%
Quote:

Today I made an appointment to get my car checked out for Monday. When I spoke to the service rep on the phone I mentioned to him that I think it was this issue and he got defensive saying "WELL WE HAVE TO MAKE THAT CALL..."
Quote:
So I just got my car back from the dealer and they will be replacing the steering rack under warranty. They did not give me any trouble at all...When I went to drop my car off I said what my issue was and that I found a TSB dealing with it. I gave the service manager a copy of it so he knew I was aware that a TSB existed.

He said the parts may take a 1-2 weeks to come in..and they are in the process of moving to a new location, so the earliest my car can be fixed is the week of August 5th.
In response to your first post, our dealers will always perform an inspection before giving a diagnosis. Did you make an appointment in early August or will the dealer call you when they come in? By the way, I saw your PM and will respond soon.

Quote:
...My Focus is being repaired with a new steering gear and associated parts. I took it in Monday, but I'm still in a rental car today...
It sounds like the dealer is giving your Focus the Frankenstein treatment; RAWR! Please let me know when all of the repairs are done, good sir. If they're waiting for parts, please shoot me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number and dealer info; I'll have your Customer Service Manager review it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennut View Post
I also have an issue with my steering...I took it to the dealer and they said it needed some parts in the steering column I believe is what they said. But they said 5 days for the parts to come in and it's been over 2 weeks. here was my thread and my symptoms...
If you'd like, I'll notify your region's Customer Service Manager about the parts delay; please drop me a PM with your VIN, mileage, phone number, and dealer information.

- Thomas

Last edited by FordService; 07-23-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: More contact info

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.