TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 16 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-09-2012, 11:34 PM   #151
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron65 View Post
Well, the dealer told me on Thursday that new steering gears are on basically indefinite backorder. Awesome. Meanwhile, I drove this thing 100 miles on the freeway today and it's just flat unpleasant to drive. Glad I bought a new car.
Mine was in on the 30th of April and they ordered the parts. They called, parts in hand, on the 8th (IIRC) of May ready to schedule the work.

I'm not sure what's happening to all the people in this thread who continue to have problems. Ours had a very specific issue: the "bump" in the middle of the steering at highway speeds pointing straight--steering between very slighty left of straight ahead and very slightly right of straight ahead or vice versa. They absolutely fixed that issue.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 01:47 AM   #152
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92465
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey - Focus HB Sport

FF Reputation: 1 ccelaya Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick W View Post
Mine was in on the 30th of April and they ordered the parts. They called, parts in hand, on the 8th (IIRC) of May ready to schedule the work.

I'm not sure what's happening to all the people in this thread who continue to have problems. Ours had a very specific issue: the "bump" in the middle of the steering at highway speeds pointing straight--steering between very slighty left of straight ahead and very slightly right of straight ahead or vice versa. They absolutely fixed that issue.
as far as I know they didn't change the part number for the new rack...
maybe there are some defective components in stock?, mine was available almost right away (Mexico), hopefully those on back order are OK...

the problem is, my dealer won't order another rack... and the other one I visited insists on doing a re-allignment (for the 3rd time)

I guess I'll have to visit a US Ford dealer in TX
Old 06-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #153
Aaron65
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94813
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sedan 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Aaron65 Good Standing Member
[/QUOTE]I'm not sure what's happening to all the people in this thread who continue to have problems. Ours had a very specific issue: the "bump" in the middle of the steering at highway speeds pointing straight--steering between very slighty left of straight ahead and very slightly right of straight ahead or vice versa. They absolutely fixed that issue.[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much the problem...it's impossible to keep the car going straight because it has the bump in the middle, the steering gets very tight, and once it tightens up, it's too quick--minute changes dart the car all over the place.

The dealer told me the code they put on the rack: (99D)??? or something like that. Basically, they feel Ford is making changes to it, which is why it's backordered. I just want the thing fixed...Cars have had steering since there have been cars; it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #154
pinkerton81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99033
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 pinkerton81 Good Standing Member
I've been driving on the new rack for a couple weeks and it seems fine.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #155
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Well I had this done in early Jan, and it took them several days to repair it. I imagine the tech made a mistake and spent a while fixing it since it's not supposed to take that long.

Anyway now I have good highway tracking, but the steering makes some pops and grinds at low speed and it feels a lot firmer than the rental focus that I had. If I park and wiggle the wheel +/- 10 degrees it makes a thump every time I change directions (even with the car off). I took it in for service and they told me I was hitting the bump stops and that was making the noise (thanks, I had no idea how to steer a car). It sounds and kind of feels like a tie rod end was replaced and not greased or tightened correctly, but it's a pain to get the local dealer to do anything short of lecture me, I mean educate me with their infinite knowledge of the 2012 focus.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #156
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Well I had this done in early Jan, and it took them several days to repair it. I imagine the tech made a mistake and spent a while fixing it since it's not supposed to take that long.

Anyway now I have good highway tracking, but the steering makes some pops and grinds at low speed and it feels a lot firmer than the rental focus that I had. If I park and wiggle the wheel +/- 10 degrees it makes a thump every time I change directions (even with the car off). I took it in for service and they told me I was hitting the bump stops and that was making the noise (thanks, I had no idea how to steer a car). It sounds and kind of feels like a tie rod end was replaced and not greased or tightened correctly, but it's a pain to get the local dealer to do anything short of lecture me, I mean educate me with their infinite knowledge of the 2012 focus.
"that's they way the car is meant to feel/behave" (dual clutch transmission/electric asssisted steering)
"the other focus drive even worse, try them..."
"hmm I don't feel anything unusual" (while there are about other 5 focus in the same dealer waiting to be fixed for the same sympthoms)

I know what you mean, good luck.. try another dealer

I don't want to sound whiny, I really like this car... but honestly I never imagined it would give me so much trouble
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #157
VelociRacer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97968
What I Drive: 12 BlueC SE Sport 5DR+5SP+201A+Wntr

FF Reputation: 1 VelociRacer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
This car is set with 0 front toe at factory. Why not ask dealer to align it with maximum toe-in per factory spec? It's a small amount so you shouldn't notice a mileage drop. But the car will stop following ruts or concrete rain grooves. Simpler options should be looked at before you replace a whole rack and open a new can of worms.

2006 Civic we have: 0 front toe became toe-out after a year of driving. A simple alignment brought it back to spec and did not change much with age after that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Good thought to try that first. If the dealer will not oblige, go to a frame and alignment shop. Even if you pay $100 to have that done, and to try it, in my mind, it'd be worth it, 'cause who wants someone to fiddle with your brand new car? I don't care how good the tech is, something very likely would get scratched or broken when factory built becomes dealer / tech serviced or replaced.

Sorry to the techs; that's just my opinion, and YMMV.
I hope people start taking matters into their own hands and just invest $100 for piece of mind.

I know what it feels like to drive with front toe-in, toe-out, or no toe. All indication this is a toe problem. Set to maximum factory toe-in, this car should drive like it's on rails. Factory toe is 0 last time I checked, but not unusual to "stray" and become toe-out from factory or after break-in (control arm bushings).

Everyone should get and post a printout of the alignment showing before and after numbers.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #158
ccelaya
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelociRacer View Post
I hope people start taking matters into their own hands and just invest $100 for piece of mind.

I know what it feels like to drive with front toe-in, toe-out, or no toe. All indication this is a toe problem. Set to maximum factory toe-in, this car should drive like it's on rails. Factory toe is 0 last time I checked, but not unusual to "stray" and become toe-out from factory or after break-in (control arm bushings).

Everyone should get and post a printout of the alignment showing before and after numbers.

I'll post my alignment printout when I get home (:
Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #159
sabelson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100297
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Focus SE - Sport Package

FF Reputation: 1 sabelson Good Standing Member
April Build 2012 Focus

I am having the same steering problems in my 2012 Focus which I recently purchased and was built after the TSB. I took it back to the dealer who recalibrated the steering and then explained to me how I needed to get used to the electronic unit which is different from the previous mechanical type. While the car is racking somewhat better, it still wanders and is difficult to correct.

I have the SE sedan with the sport package, and I was curious if the tires might be contributing to the problem, as well, as I have had tires on other cars that had a tendency to wander (or more correctly "nibble) on the highway.

Has the toe in adjustment suggested here has been successful and what the factory specs are?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #160
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabelson View Post
I am having the same steering problems in my 2012 Focus which I recently purchased and was built after the TSB. I took it back to the dealer who recalibrated the steering and then explained to me how I needed to get used to the electronic unit which is different from the previous mechanical type. While the car is racking somewhat better, it still wanders and is difficult to correct.

I have the SE sedan with the sport package, and I was curious if the tires might be contributing to the problem, as well, as I have had tires on other cars that had a tendency to wander (or more correctly "nibble) on the highway.

Has the toe in adjustment suggested here has been successful and what the factory specs are?

Thanks for your help.
Honestly it has taken literally months for me get used to the steering on this car. It took me a long time to decide there isn't something wrong with mine.

The steering is SO tight and has such a high ratio... it's a totally different game from your typical family sedan with hydraulic steering.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.