TSB 12-02-17 - Steering issue - New TSB? - Page 11 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #101
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
And the other thing I would add is: I really hope Ford does not change the steering ratio on the Focus, which at 14.7 : 1 (or so) makes it a pretty quick-steering car.... I am worried that they will change this, to mask the problem -- rather than fix the actual problem -- which is that improperly calibrated steering position sensor (or something like that). Also, why can't they arrange the sensor so it can be field calibrated.... rather than requiring the whole rack to be removed and either junked (unnecessarily) or at least sent back to factory, to be fixed and then to be sold as an "FQR" - or Ford Factory Remanufactured component.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #102
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89089
What I Drive: 2013 Mustang GHIG V6 Premium

FF Reputation: 1 forceflow2 Good Standing Member
Now on the eighth consecutive day without my car. They didn't even bother to call me with a status update yesterday before I was forced to call them. Anyone know if the steering angle sensor is on backorder too? They were kind of cagey about telling me why my car wasn't ready yet other than it's still being worked on.
Reacquired by Ford under Lemon Law 01/16/13.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #103
xpartmgr
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96709
What I Drive: 2012 White Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 xpartmgr Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
Now on the eighth consecutive day without my car. They didn't even bother to call me with a status update yesterday before I was forced to call them. Anyone know if the steering angle sensor is on backorder too? They were kind of cagey about telling me why my car wasn't ready yet other than it's still being worked on.
Wow 8 days! Mine is in the shop right now for the steering gear and a list of other issues. Right now I am on day 4 and they said to expect at least 2 more days. However, I have a laundry list of problems that I want them to look at while I have their loaner car.

I really hope it fixes the issue. Funny thing is the loaner is also a 2012 Focus and the steering issue is way worse on it than my car! What I find odd is that I am getting 5 mpg more on the loaner than my own car and I drive them exactly the same! Maybe the transmission issue causing this???
Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #104
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Well, 9 days without car now. I called them and they said they had all the parts in and the tech was working on it as we spoke. Asked point blank when it would be ready. "Four. I absolutely promise you. I told them you need it back today and it will be done by then." It's now 4:30 and my car is still unavailable to me. They close in an hour and a half and even if they do get it done before then, the odds of me being able to pick it up is low (unless they call back in the next 5 minutes). Absolute best case now is I get it tomorrow morning. 9 full days without a car due to a repair that was supposed to take less than one. I'd laugh at the absurdity if I wasn't so unbelievably PO'ed.

EDIT: Just received a call. "They're finishing up now, but they won't be done until around 6 (the time they close) and the shop foreman wants to test drive it a bit. Also, I'm going to go ahead and have them detail it since it's been sitting around here for a while (I really hope they listen to me about not doing that since I have no clue what materials they use for it)." Asked what time it would be ready since if it wasn't before noon tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to make it due to work. Response: "I'll try my best, okay?" At least she's always been really chipper when she tells me they once again lied to me.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #105
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Had a call last night from the dealership that I missed asking me to give them a call. Called them when they opened. Apparently when they put in the new steering sensor that resolved the errors that it was throwing for that, but now my airbag light is stuck on and they have no clue as to why. They've now contacted Ford's field service engineers (or the field service engineer at Ford, or something. I assume that's a group of people and not just a single person) and are waiting to hear back from them.

I'm now less angry about this than I was yesterday, mainly due to the fact that they've acknowledged that it's getting ridiculous and each promise they've made fell through. I've been informed that there won't be any more promises with the exception of promising to get back to me about any developments unless it's actually finished and sitting there ready for pickup. Hopefully that will happen before next week.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #106
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Sounds exactly like the improperly set steering centre position sensor problem (from the steering gear manufacturing plant) for which there is a TSB. The EPAS is fighting you, about the centre position... I suspect it feels like there is a detent, or an about-centre force or a roughness / higher force evident about-centre. So, it is hard to move it off-centre, but once the steering "gives way", you've pushed it too far (and it veers off) and you have to correct the car's course, in the opposite direction. And of course, then, you face the exact-same issue, in the opposite direction. So the car moves from steering left to steering right, and back and forth and back and forth, all of the way down the road. Folks have said it is downright exhausting to keep doing this, all of the way down the road, for any distance.

Apparently this action is not always evident at lower speeds, or it is not always evident until some time at speed has occurred.

If this is what you are feeling, you need a new steering rack, c/w an assortment of bolts -- all detailed in the TSB.
Hmm, yep that's it. I may have to call about this.

I can literally change the direction of the car without even moving the steering wheel. Just by putting pressure on it in one direction. It's not undrivable but I can't take my eyes off the road for a second without finding myself somewhere unexpected, and I feel like I'm constantly bouncing back and forth between the center and edge lines of my lane. I must look like a terrible driver to other people.

I'm getting better at controlling it but it can be exhausting. You're right--you get off course just a little bit in one direction, and then it's so difficult not to OVERcorrect it in the other direction when you're just trying to make it go straight. And just like you said: left, right, left right.

On my Tauruses, you could one-finger steer them easily. And yeah, I know, Taurus is not a Focus, it's a different class of car. But the Taurus wasn't exactly a Grand Marquis either. Some people might have called the Taurus steering loose but it sure did track straight well.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #107
amoosenamedhank
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96374
What I Drive: 2012 SE Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 amoosenamedhank Good Standing Member
I'm trying to decide if this is my issue or not.... my door jam has a date of 1/12 but the car seems like it's constantly getting tossed around in the wind. The car seems really unstable at highway speeds. Especially on an entrance ramp that has any sorta of curve to it. I feel like I'm just hold on for dear life.
The steering wheel stays in the neutral position but I'm having to make short, quick corrections to keep it on course. The short of corrections that made you go back in forth with your steering wheel afterwards to make sure it's still responsive.

This is by far the smallest car I've ever owned so I was considering maybe a smaller car just has more difficulty in the wind.

From what I understand my car is out of the build date range for this TSB but some of the explanations sound some what similar to my issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #108
Aaron65
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94813
What I Drive: 2012 Black SE Sedan 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 Aaron65 Good Standing Member
My car's getting the fix too, just waiting on parts...they ordered them a week ago. The car's not going in until they all come in...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #109
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelicchaos View Post
I was just at my local dealership and asked about the steering TSB...He checked his list and it did not come up..The only one was "Stiff Steering on start up"..Then he told me dealerships in the US.will usually get all the TSB reports long before canada will eg.. MFT update mailouts...He said if there is one it will certainly come here eventually... "sighs" .. twiddles thumbs and patiently waits for fixes....
Question to Cdn ff owners: have any of U had this TSB applied to your Cdn cars?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #110
forceflow2
Focus Enthusiast

Finally got my car back today. So including the near full day it took for them to say they had to order parts that started this all, I was without a car for 11 days. The car now drives worse than it did before and is making a number of noises that it definitely didn't previously (rough startup, some sort of crunching sound on some turns, and what sounds like plastic clacking against something while idle). My steering wheel column cover (I guess that's what it is, whatever plastic piece is that connects near where the key goes) wasn't attached fully (I was able to mostly fix this, but it is definitely not on all the way).

I was informed that Ford would be releasing a (new/updated?) TSB specifically addressing the issues the dealership had with my car, but we'll see how true that is. I can't even say for certain what all they did to my car as I wasn't provided with any paperwork, they said it would be mailed to me at a later date.

When I go to another dealership for the windshield wiper recall, I will ask them about the issues I am now having, assuming they still exist. I'm going to try to do the drive cycle to see if that doesn't help anything.

Bookmarks & Social Networks