HOW TO: Relocate Fuse Box - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
AMMO-Duke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84715
What I Drive: 2005 Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 8 AMMO-Duke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
HOW TO: Relocate Fuse Box

I recently relocated my main fuse box as part of my turbo build (posted in the Forced Induction Forum) and I wanted to post the "how to" in case anyone else wants to do the same.

Before I get to the "how to", let me give you some warnings. I have done a lot of stuff to cars over the years and this has got to be the worst task I have ever done. It worked out flawlessly, but was just a huge pain! I would rather rebuild a transmission! DO NOT attempt this unless you are very serious and you really need to move the fuse box. You also need to take your time, DO NOT attempt this in a hurry, clear a whole weekend just in-case. You must have a lot of patience and good wiring skills.

Relocating a fuse box is really not complicated in theory. Basically, you just cut all the wires going to the fuse box and extend them and re-connect after the box is relocated. In practice, it is very diffucult.

Step1: Disconnect the box from the firewall and remove the bottom to expose the wires. (obviously, you must disconnect the battery, but if you need to be told this, you should stop right now and do not attempt any further)

Step2: Remove all the tape/wire loom for about 6-8 inches and get the wires separated so you can see what you are dealing with. DO NOT CUT ANYTHING YET!

Here is where it gets tricky and you need to slow down and do a lot of thinking and double checking. You are going to need 36 inches of wire to extend every single wire going to the box. There are many different sizes you will need to account for. You also need to make sure you have all the solder and heat shrink tubing necessary.

Step3: COLOR CODING. This is the hardest part. The big problem is that there are many wires in this loom that have the exact same color coding! Example: There were at least 5 identical wires (green w/yellow stripe) of the same size and more of different sizes. If you just cut these, you will never get them matched up again and your car will be dead! You are going to have to invent your own color coding system. Here is what I did. I took magic markers (black, red, blue) and used them to mark the wires with a 3rd color. So, I would have something like this: Green/yellow/plain, green/yellow/black, green/yellow/red, green/yellow/blue, etc. Make sure you have your color markings on both sides of where you plan to cut.

Step4: Once you have all the wires marked and you are confident you have each one accounted for and no duplicates, you can go ahead and cut all the wires.

Step5: Take your fuse box to the workbench and start adding the wire extensions. Try to match up the sizes as best as you can, if you cant get an exact match, go the next size larger. On the really big wires, the soldering gun just does not get hot enough, I like to use a soldering torch for these.

Step6: Once you have all the wires added, you need to mark the ends with the color code they are connected to so you can match them up with the wires on the car. Make sure you do this while the wires are still loose before taping up the new wire loom. I use clear scotch tape and just wrote the color code on the end. Dont forget, you will also be extending the main power cable from the box also.

Step7: Pick out the new location for the fuse box(maybe this should be step 1???) I put mine just behind the useless CD holder under the drivers side dash. Note: I removed the metal plate behind this area a long time ago, so you need to do your own assessment to see if you can do the same. I cant help you with this, you will need to figure it out. If you locate your box different than mine, please remember that you may need more than 36 inches of wire extension.

Step8: Locate where you will be drilling through the firewall to run the new wire loom. Be careful and make double sure where you are cutting a hole. Note: There are some areas that are double thick. Below is where I put mine. I used a hole saw (2 inch, I think). Make the hole larger than your wire loom. I then added pipe insulation and taped it up real good so it will protect the wires and create a seal. This pic is with the plastic wheel well removed on the drivers side.

Step9: Run the new wire loom through the fire wall and get the box mounted in its location.

Step10: Now you can start matching up the properly marked wires from the new wire loom to the wires from the vehicle. It is a big mess, but if you marked everything carefully, it will work. Just take your time and make sure your solder joints are solid and everything is well insulated so you dont have any shorts.

Finished!

If you took your time and did everything properly, everything should operate perfectly. If not, well.....good luck!

One thing I will point out, when you relocate this box inside the car, you will hear the relays for the AC and Cooling fans click on and off. It is not very loud and you will not even notice with the stereo on. This does not bother me at all, but I realize how crazy some people get with noises so I thought I better point it out.

Last edited by AMMO-Duke; 04-20-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
AMMO-Duke
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84715
What I Drive: 2005 Grey ZX4

FF Reputation: 8 AMMO-Duke Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OK, some of my pics are not working. I have never had a problem on here before, I use photobucket and I double checked the links. Any advice? Did I put too many in one post?
Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Another great write up Daryl. As you needed the space.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I tried to fallow the links back to the original pic and they are dead ended. Maybe they are copied wrong? On photobucket all you should need to is right click link at the box on the right and it copies it for you. Then just paste it here with out clicking the image icon.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:30 AM   #5
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Excellent work. and it looks like all the pictures work?
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 04-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Yea they do now. Somebody must have fixed them. It a real good write up, lots of patients right there.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Old 04-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 54 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGlassMaker View Post
Yea they do now. Somebody must have fixed them. It a real good write up, lots of patients right there.

Sent from 34.0764 N, 118.4296 W
Yeah, more then I have for wiring=LOL
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #8
zetecDon
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5

FF Reputation: 28 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (45)
Moving this to MK1 Focus.

Bookmarks & Social Networks