2012 Focus Door Rattle. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
FatMan069
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96213
What I Drive: 2012 Red Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 FatMan069 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2012 Focus Door Rattle.

I got my car in mid Feb, i have had since i drove off the lot a rattle or some noise that sounds like its coming from the passenger door. I took a video of it and can anyone tell me if they are experencing any noise like this and what would fix the noise? It happens 100% of the time at anything over 55mph. It drives me crazy, i took absolutely EVERYTHING out of the car including even the gas funnel next to the spare tire and nothing works, the dealership said they didnt hear anything and didnt look into it any further. The volume need to be a bit on the higher side to hear it with the wind and road noise. The volume needs to be turned up to hear the rattle over the road noise and the wind. It was taken from my phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT- F agr8jMY (delete the space between the F and the a and the -)

Last edited by FatMan069; 03-11-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: link wasnt displayed right
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
I have a rattle on the passenger side as well, it's somewhere around or inside the passenger door. It doesn't happen at high speeds but rather at low speeds whenever there is some sort of vibration going "through" the body. It's annoying and it's been bugging me for weeks but its almost futile for me to bring my car to my dealer unless I can pinpoint exactly where it is. That's just the way they do things -.- I watched your video but I guess mine is much worse as whenever it rattles... it RATTLES... loud, similar to shaking a screw inside a plastic bottle.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:07 AM   #3
FatMan069
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

When im inside my car it gets louder than my music sometimes. Its half retarded cause nothing is gana help it. I read that someone had their springs changed and that was the cause of the noise. Also for better comparison, the rattle in my door sounds like the engine tick after the car has been driven and has been shut off.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #4
nole0675
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 90795
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 nole0675 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMan069 View Post
I got my car in mid Feb, i have had since i drove off the lot a rattle or some noise that sounds like its coming from the passenger door. I took a video of it and can anyone tell me if they are experencing any noise like this and what would fix the noise? It happens 100% of the time at anything over 55mph. It drives me crazy, i took absolutely EVERYTHING out of the car including even the gas funnel next to the spare tire and nothing works, the dealership said they didnt hear anything and didnt look into it any further. The volume need to be a bit on the higher side to hear it with the wind and road noise. The volume needs to be turned up to hear the rattle over the road noise and the wind. It was taken from my phone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT- F agr8jMY (delete the space between the F and the a and the -)
I had the same noise. I took the car to my dealer and they said it was wind noise. They put tape over all of the outside seams of the car on that side and drove it over and over again while removing pieces of tape to isolate the area. Turned out it was the rubber door seal at the top of one of the driver's side doors. They replaced both seals and the noise has not been back. Ask to have a tech ride with you so you can point out the noise and don't let them be lazy. Thankfully my dealer was awesome about it and genuinely wanted to help!
Old 03-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #5
TiPilot
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93667
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 TiPilot Good Standing Member
I have this as well. Haven't had a chance to take it to the dealer yet but it's definitely getting worse the more miles I put on the car. Sounds like it's in the passenger door area and also is much more noticeable at 45-55+ MPH.

Annoying, can definitely be heard over music/podcasts, and I really need to get around to taking it in to have fixed...

Build Date: 12/2/2011 | New APIM: 4/4/2012
MFT: Factory v2.11, 3/14/12 Web -> v3.0.2, 9/24/12 Web -> v3.2.2, 1/24/13 Web -> v3.5.1, 8/13/13 Web -> v3.6
Old 03-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
glockoma
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89451
What I Drive: 2012 FF Ti

FF Reputation: 1 glockoma Good Standing Member
I have a very similar noise coming from the B-pillar that seems to emanate from the opening where the seatbelt is attached. Mainly passenger side as well.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
LostContrails
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83543
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 LostContrails Good Standing Member
I can't watch the video, however I have been hearing a light rattle on the passenger side of my car. It's not annoying enough for me to bring it to the dealer though. I always assumed it was my iPOD rattling in the armrest compartment but maybe it's not.
6 Speed Auto
Old 03-11-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
LostContrails, is it possible that what you hear may be in fact the metal part of the seatbelt knocking on the B-pillar ? When my wife gets out of the car, the seatbelt sometimes gets in an odd position, with the metal part perpendicular to the B-pillar and when I am driving, it starts "rattling". As soon as I arrange it to be parallel to the B-pillar, the rattle stops.
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
FatMan069
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

it happens whether or not there is someone else in the car, with my girlfriend it happens and without it happens. how do i post youtube videos on here and ill do that for everyone. when i would put the link in it would put in 3 smiley faces when i would post the thread.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
LostContrails
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83543
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL Sedan

FF Reputation: 2 LostContrails Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
LostContrails, is it possible that what you hear may be in fact the metal part of the seatbelt knocking on the B-pillar ? When my wife gets out of the car, the seatbelt sometimes gets in an odd position, with the metal part perpendicular to the B-pillar and when I am driving, it starts "rattling". As soon as I arrange it to be parallel to the B-pillar, the rattle stops.
That is a possibility, I will have to check that next time I hear it. Thanks!
6 Speed Auto

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.