2012 Focus Timing belt or chain???? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #11
twinkymcnugget
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93345
What I Drive: 2006 Ford Windstar Sport

FF Reputation: 1 twinkymcnugget Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Chain, with no adjustments (hydraulic tensioners). I REALLY REALLY hope our tensioners are made with a flat machined surface mated to the block like the proven way its been done for years (haven't pulled one apart yet and the service manual doesn't really say) because the newer 5.4Ls (I think 2008 was the changeover) in the F150s are turning into a money pit with their crap tensioners with the flimsy silicone bead on the tensioners blowing out and causing loss of oil pressure to the heads and all kinds of cam phaser problems. They went from a steel tensioner with flat machined surface to a phenolic tensioner body with a crappy printed seal. We see at least 1 per week. There was a "hell week" last summer where our relatively small shop did 6 engines in one week because of this. I was happy because I did 4 of them. LOL
lol oh i love those. they make me money so im not complaining haha
12 Focus Titanium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
AJ_BS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95722
What I Drive: 2012

FF Reputation: 1 AJ_BS Good Standing Member
Good thread. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
greg hazlett
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93486
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 3 greg hazlett Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink View Post
Chain, with no adjustments (hydraulic tensioners). I REALLY REALLY hope our tensioners are made with a flat machined surface mated to the block like the proven way its been done for years (haven't pulled one apart yet and the service manual doesn't really say) because the newer 5.4Ls (I think 2008 was the changeover) in the F150s are turning into a money pit with their crap tensioners with the flimsy silicone bead on the tensioners blowing out and causing loss of oil pressure to the heads and all kinds of cam phaser problems. They went from a steel tensioner with flat machined surface to a phenolic tensioner body with a crappy printed seal. We see at least 1 per week. There was a "hell week" last summer where our relatively small shop did 6 engines in one week because of this. I was happy because I did 4 of them. LOL
Don't forget about the lovely 2 piece spark plugs Ford put in them as well!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
jvillareal78
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95766
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 jvillareal78 Good Standing Member
Here is a nice PDF that shows the Direct Injection engine. Just the main basics of it http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2..._DI_Engine.pdf

Although its funny it says it is E85 capable, but right on my gas cap it shows no E85
Old 03-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Looking at the cutaway, it looks to me like the valve actuation is DAMB (Direct-Acting Mechanical Bucket) and the chain looks to be a multiplate chain, like a Morse HyVo. Not sure what the longevity of that type of chain is. I do know that with a chain drive, it seems to me that the camshaft phasors could leak a bit, and it would not end up "polluting" anything (e.g. the Fiesta, with phasers, and with a timing belt -- that cannot stand to get oil on it).

The DAMB system, for the valves.... it is possible that the buckets are changeable (like they were on the previous model line of Toyota Corolla) - so that valve clearance can be adjusted. Also, on the Ford GDI engine -- it may be that they are not adjustable... but if not, how could you do a valve grind and then adjust....

Anyone have any idea about this?

I personally like the non-hydraulic-tappet clearance engines, 'cause though I do go out of my way to prevent sludge build-up-- invariably the hydraulics do get sludged-up and start tapping. The non-hydraulics type of engine make more tapping sounds when cold, but never suffer collapsed lifters. I prefer these.

Final word -- re belt versus chain.... I don't totally poo poo the belts, though with phasers, they may be a problem like on the Fiesta. Belts are quieter, and though the repair interval is shorter, generally folks probably never have to replace the "sprockets". On a timing chain engine, it is folly NOT to replace sprockets when the chain is replaced. All wear together. So, though a belt engine needs more-often attention, the ease of changeout is probably less. BTW, that is not to say that the oil seals don't need replacement, though -- and they are a bear to get at and NOT damage the sealing surface on the shaft... and also the sealing surfaces can wear.... don't get me started....
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

FF Reputation: 11 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvillareal78 View Post
Although its funny it says it is E85 capable, but right on my gas cap it shows no E85
Don't even start that here. There's already a thread dedicated to that. This is about the Focus having a belt or chain.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #17
Eurofordfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87186
What I Drive: 1985 Moto Guzzi T5 850 NT

FF Reputation: 1 Eurofordfan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
Looking at the cutaway, it looks to me like the valve actuation is DAMB (Direct-Acting Mechanical Bucket) and the chain looks to be a multiplate chain, like a Morse HyVo. .... The DAMB system, for the valves.... it is possible that the buckets are changeable (like they were on the previous model line of Toyota Corolla) - so that valve clearance can be adjusted. Also, on the Ford GDI engine -- it may be that they are not adjustable... but if not, how could you do a valve grind and then adjust....
My bad, folks.... Looking closely at the pdf, it appears that this is a shim-over-bucket system. The shims are to be changed out at (long) interval. This is certainly not a bad system... and is the same as Fiat used on the 124 Sport and the Fiat 128 -- and that Ford used on the first generation SHO. All you need is the cheap, special valve bucket depressor tool, to be able to flip out and change the clearance adjusting shim... Happiness!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #18
jvillareal78
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95766
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum Titanium HB

FF Reputation: 1 jvillareal78 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
Don't even start that here. There's already a thread dedicated to that. This is about the Focus having a belt or chain.
Wow did not realize I "started" anything here, was just pointing out an inconsistency I noticed. Maybe anyone else notices one they would point it out. But thanks for being so rude to new members Especially since your only post has nothing to do at will with the subject
Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
jbird1955
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 48235
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 jbird1955 Good Standing Member
This thread has me curious. As it is a chain does that mean its a zero clearance head as well?

Joe
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Rat Fink
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92487
What I Drive: Ford, and vintage Dodge

FF Reputation: 6 Rat Fink Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofordfan View Post
My bad, folks.... Looking closely at the pdf, it appears that this is a shim-over-bucket system. The shims are to be changed out at (long) interval. This is certainly not a bad system... and is the same as Fiat used on the 124 Sport and the Fiat 128 -- and that Ford used on the first generation SHO. All you need is the cheap, special valve bucket depressor tool, to be able to flip out and change the clearance adjusting shim... Happiness!
No shims, only buckets as per the service manual. The buckets are different thicknesses as required to maintain the clearance spec. So...if you are ever disassembling one of these engines you'll want to mark the location of each bucket before taking it apart. There's a number stamped into each bucket that relates to the thickness of them. Its not a new thing Ford has done, as the similar setup is currently used in the 3.5/3.7 and others with very good track records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird1955 View Post
This thread has me curious. As it is a chain does that mean its a zero clearance head as well?

Joe
Yep, interference engine.

Bookmarks & Social Networks